RE: [Pet_Tarantulas] Pics of just a few of the T's who have taken over my house :P

  • Wright, Bert H
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
      Kitty:

      WOW - you have some nice 'Pokes' in your pictures, and a wide variety of
      other tarantula species too. I'm sure that most of these pictures don't
      really do justice for what these beauties are actually like in person.
      I too have a P. regalis and that particular tarantula has the most
      impressive markings I have ever seen on tarantulas. The Poecilotheria
      Regalis or Indian ornamental are real secretive and occasionally come
      out of their generally vertical retreat where you can see them in all of
      their glory - the pattern markings on their topside is stunning and on
      their underside, they have black, grey white, yellow and even
      irridescent metallic-blue pads on the bottoms of their front legs.
      Thanks for the Photos - please add to the Group Photo section on Yahoo
      Groups if you have time. Thanks again for your message.

      Bert Wright
      Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2006
        --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "Wright, Bert H"
        <Bert.H.Wright@...> wrote:

        > Kitty:
        >
        > WOW - you have some nice 'Pokes' in your pictures, and a wide variety
        of

        how do you see the pics? i can't figure it out
      • Wright, Bert H
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
          Andrew:

          When I received the message ' Pics of just a few of the T's who have taken over my house :P' there were a dozen or more .jpg attachments.  Sometimes, my firewall at work will not allow attachments to come through, but they did in this instance.  The pictures are a bit fuzzy, a couple are fairly sharp though - my point was that he had a virtual Poke Royal Flush with at least five or six different Poecilotheria species.  I was commenting that my one Poke that I have is one of the most awesome tarantulas I have ever seen.  Kelly Swift has a huge female P. regalis (which may be the mom of my Poke), but he had this huge female in a glass aquarium at a show and it looked like tapestry - stunning patterns and coloring on their underside - they have a wide yellow band and leg pairs that are black and yellow and black and white.  She is super shy and really not overly aggressive - I let her go as she pleases as these are not typically a hand pet by any stroke of the imagination.  We may ask the sender to resend the pictures or at least post them on the Group Site. I too need to update the photo area - also, more Curly Hair tarantulas at $15 each are to be made available soon.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2006
            ah, i think since i have my account set to get daily digests the pics
            just didn't make it to me. more is the pity. this is presuming you
            have every message sent directly to you?

            speaking of regalis, yesterday i pulled my mature male out my females
            tank, where he had been cohabitating for 7-10 days. i decided to pull
            him cuz she was chasing him... drumming up a storm... and he was
            running away, drumming enough to let her know he was not a snack. my
            theory is that they mated (hopefully!) and he needs to recharge his
            palps before he can mate again, but everytime he tried to build a
            spermweb she heard him and ran over to try to mate again. i'm going
            to give him about a week to recuperate and then once more into the
            breach (again, hopefully, hehehehee)

            oh, another kinda interesting thing. i keep a lot of scorps and hunt
            them in the wild, so i have a blacklight. i was shining it on all my
            other bugs hoping to get lucky and find more that flouresce... WELL,
            the warning bands on P. regalis do, a little bit! i suspect that has
            to do with other animals seeing in different spectrums than humans...
            so those warning bands must be SUPER bright to some stuff!

            oh, and i think *poooossibly* my G. rosea dropped a sac. i don't know
            whether to be happy or sad... i've had ~130 new babies in the past
            month, added to around 200-300 bugs i already had. i'm starting to
            run out of room!

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2006
              Andrew:

              Thanks again for the update on your breeding projects, hatch outs and all.  Let me be one of the first (if not the last) to say, I would gladly take some off of your hands unless they are already spoken for, and if the $ is right.  On my rosea 'egg sac' that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago:  I have not yet ransacked the enclosure, but I think that I found what may be an 'aborted' egg sac.  I really don't know what it is.  I have seen lots of webbings and have torn lots of web from cages, but i really haven't seen anything like what I took out of My Grammastola rosea's enclosure (the one G. rosea that I have that recently produced an egg sac, I believe as she was rolling a huge white clump of something that I presumed was an egg sac.).  At any rate, after a few days, I decided to get a closer look at this egg sac (I had been considering Andrew's suggestion to let her handle the hatch-out and the routine turning of the egg sac) - but the whole notion got to me I suppose and I had to at least have a look at something I saw in her enclosure (I still haven't confirmed whether or not she has or has NOT produced an egg sac as there are some areas in her enclosure where I have NOT looked).  At any rate - maybe you know what this is or is not, possibly.  I examined this clump of white material left on the opposite side from her cage where she stays AND this 'clump was only about an eighth in size of the original clump that I saw her rolling up with webbing.  It looked like silk - thick and solid white and had some firm or dense clumps within the thicker silk - could this have been an egg sac?  One other question:  Does this appear to be an egg sac that the mother either partially or fully destroyed for one reason or another?

              Bert Wright
              Fellow Tarantulas Keeper/;Enthusiast

              <Bert.H.Wright@ ...> wrote:

              Andrew:

              > When I received the message ' Pics of just a few of the
              T's who have
              > taken over my house :P' there were a dozen or more .jpg
              attachments.
              > Sometimes, my firewall at work will not allow attachments
              to come
              > through, but they did in this instance. The pictures are a bit
              fuzzy, a
              > couple are fairly sharp though - my point was that he had a
              virtual
              Poke
              > Royal Flush with at least five or six different
              Poecilotheria
              species.
              > I was commenting that my one Poke that I have
              is one of the most
              awesome
              > tarantulas I have ever seen. Kelly Swift
              has a huge female P.
              regalis
              > (which may be the mom of my Poke), but
              he had this huge female in a
              > glass aquarium at a show and it looked like
              tapestry - stunning
              patterns
              > and coloring on their underside - they
              have a wide yellow band and
              leg
              > pairs that are black and yellow and
              black and white. She is super
              shy
              > and really not overly aggressive -
              I let her go as she pleases as
              these
              > are not typically a hand pet by
              any stroke of the imagination. We
              may
              > ask the sender to resend the
              pictures or at least post them on the
              Group
              > Site. I too need to
              update the photo area - also, more Curly Hair
              > tarantulas at $15 each are
              to be made available soon.

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              href="mailto:Pet_Tarantulas%40yahoogroups.com">Pet_Tarantulas@ yahoogroups. com

              Subject: [Pet_Tarantulas] Re: Pics of just a few of the T's who have

              taken over my house :P

              > --- In
              href="mailto:Pet_Tarantulas%40yahoogroups.com">Pet_Tarantulas@ yahoogroups. com

              <mailto:Pet_ Tarantulas% 40yahoogroups. com> , "Wright, Bert H"
              > <Bert.H.Wright@ > wrote:

              Kitty:

              > > WOW - you have some nice 'Pokes' in your
              pictures, and a wide
              variety
              > of
              >
              > how do you see the