Re: Handling Tarantulas

  • Andrew Olson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      well said Bert

      one other thing i would like to add. many spiders react negatively to
      being breathed on. I think this is because some of their major
      predators are mammals the actively expell CO2.

      Anyhow, for some of my more nervous spiders i must take great pains to
      not breathe on them, or accidentily let anyone else. Some of my
      tarantulas will bolt if breath hits them

      i know it sounds kind of silly, but if you want to see what i'm talking
      about gently blow a puff of air on your spiders and see what happens.

      i actually "air herd" some of my bugs :)

      p.s. don't mix up fear and respect. i respect all my bugs, even the non-
      venomous ones. they *can* hurt you... but like Bert said, the real
      danger is to the bug not the person