Neglected Tarantulas...

  • devoe2485
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      I had went to a pet store and asked if they sold any Tarantulas,The
      store personel went in the back room and returned with 3
      Rosehairs.These T's did not have any water,the cages were dirty and
      they were using sand as a substraight .I told the Man to give them
      fresh water and asked why are they kept in the back storeroom.His
      responce was they are not good sellers.Well you can't sell what the
      public can't see.I will return after work to see if they have fresh
      water.I'm not sure but could this be something that I could call
      animal control about?
    • Wright, Bert
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006

        Thanks for the update.  It is a fact that many of us oftentimes rescue Rose Hairs – at least it seems to be a Rose Hair more times than not.  Truthfully, in many cases, it isn’t as much of an issue as them not being good sellers, as much as it is the store pet store workers either being unknowledgeable or plain afraid of the tarantulas.  This is the case many times – sometimes they NEED to be told what to do, and when the condition seems grave for the tarantula, you may end up with an extra tarantula at home (and sometimes at a discount).  Keep us posted on what happens.

        Bert Wright

        Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast