Happy New Year!

  • devoe2485
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
      Here is a question I was asked over the holidays.Are Tarantulas cold
      blooded? Well sence they are not reptiles I said no, but This did
      stump me.I don't recall reading anything about this.Do Tarantulas
      produce there own heat?
    • Wright, Bert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006

        Devoe::

        Typically, a Tarantula would be considered cold-blooded, or, at least somewhere between warm blooded and cold-blooded.  In general, warm blooded animals are birds and mammals.  Tarantulas can’t seemingly generate heat, per se, nor do they seem to regulate their own body heat – part of the criterion for being warm blooded.  Also, tarantulas tend to fall into the category of cold blooded creatures that use behavior as a mechanism to ‘react’ to temperature changes – they burrow to reduce their body temperature or they may bask to raise their body temperature – they do whatever is necessary to become acclimated to temperature changes and other environmental variations.  As with cold blooded creatures, a tarantula will move about more and have an increased appetite when ambient temperature is increased – and, conversely, the tarantula will move and eat less in a lower ambient temperature environment.  So, tarantulas seem to follow the characteristics of a cold blooded creature rather than warm-blooded.  However, although they are not known to ‘shiver’, some male tarantulas can use their pedipalps to virtually vibrate (which could be construed as a means of generating internal heat – this is possibly a topic of study requiring additional investigation). Some African baboon tarantulas are known to ‘hiss’ of stridulate, which is another internal mechanism that COULD be considered a means, though primitive, of generating heat.  I am not intending to confound the issue, but simply providing more rationale as to why I categorized the tarantulas as somewhere between cold-blooded and warm-blooded.   Regardless of possibly having a fairly primitive means of generating minimal body heat, the tarantula is considered cold blooded more than anything else.  Hopefully this helps.  Good question

        Bert Wright

        Fellow Tarantula Keeper/Enthusiast

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2009
          My New Year resoluteion was to get back to handling my Tarantulas.
          Today I held my Rosehair and it was really quite simple. She is as
          docile as I remember,it has been over a year sence I last held her.
          It was a great feeling and I will continue to handel her. The Redknee
          will be the most thrilling to handel because she is more intemidating
          to me. Her hair flicking and fast movements makes me nervous, she
          doesn't seem to be docile but still it was great to hold Trinity.
          Thanks for your support,
          Patrick DeVoe
        • gthrasher1
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
            --- In Pet_Tarantulas@yahoogroups.com, "devoe2485" <devoe2485@...> wrote:

            > Here is a question I was asked over the holidays.Are Tarantulas cold
            > blooded? Well sence they are not reptiles I said no, but This did
            > stump me.I don't recall reading anything about this.Do Tarantulas
            > produce there own heat?

            You can google this, (as I did) Arachnids are cold blooded,they don't
            make their own internal heat. The following is a little off topic but
            it may help.

            "The circulatory system of spiders is very different from that
            of mammals. In mammals the circulatory system is closed. Arteries branch
            but end within the tissues.

            Spider blood is called hemolymph. Hemolymph is a clear sticky liquid with
            a blue-green tint. There are four kinds of cells that make up this
            hemolymph and the one that is most like our white blood cells is called
            hemocytes. These cells behave very similar to lymphocytes in mammals,
            forming antibodies to fight infection.

            Hemocyanin does the work of the red blood cells but it is not contained
            in cells but flows throughout the hemolymph.

            I hope this helps!

            Elizabeth Mule'

            Schultz, S. and Schultz, M (1998) The Tarantula Keepers Guide. Barrons:
            NY