Promo opportunity: GameX Games & Media Expo 2010

  • Phillip Thorne

      The 2009 "GameX Games & Media Expo" (sponsored by NBC-10) was held October 23-25, 2009, at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center.  It will be held again next year: October 22-24, probably in the same place (off Rte.422, near the Regal multiplex, Target, and Lowe's).  It appears to be a reincarnation of NBC's "Tech & Lifestyles Expo" (at which DelVaLUG exhibited) held from 2004-2005 in the defunct Fort Washington Expo Center.

      www.gamexpo.us
      info@...
      610-565-9300

      Exhibitors included video game makers, video game college programs, four student robotics teams, steampunk groups and artists, amateur artist- and webcomic-venders (some of whom also appear at Zenkaikon), U.S. Army recruiters, Ford and their "Sync" technology, seven different bands, three Star Wars groups (Garrison Carida®, PA Jedi, NY Jedi), and others.  There were panels, video programming, some minimal promotion by SyFy of "Stargate Universe" (also with the actor who planed Dr. Zelenka from SGA), and game tournaments.  And QVC set up a fancy travelling stage for live programming.

      There appeared to be "freebie" tables in the ticket lobby, so flyers from non-exhibitors may be welcome.

      The expo does charge a fee to attendees (adult/youth/family, one/three days).  Pre-reg is cheaper than at-the-door, but not really, because of convenience fees.

      I visited on Friday afternoon, which had low attendance (as you might expect), so the expo space seemed very empty.  The extra-wide pathways between exhibitors would probably be welcome when crowded.  There was plenty of room for additional exhibitors; the expo may have been under-subscribed due to its newness and the state of the economy.

      Bring earplugs, because not only is it a bare cement floor, the room was EXTREMELY, PAINFULLY LOUD, due to the bands playing game tunes; fortunately, they sometimes stopped.  I have to write a scathing letter of criticism to the organizers -- as an expo, there are other vendors, and most of them would like to hold coherent conversations with potential customers.  This isn't just Phil and his sensitive ears overreacting; they said so!

      ** Phillip Thorne
      ** pethorne@...
      ** RPI 1998 Computer Science

    • kreativkc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2009
        Trev and I went on Sunday. Yes, the music was too loud, but I really loved it, so I was OK with it, but yes, it would have been better in another room. It was too loud for me to hear the music from the Dr Mario game that I was playing.

        They charge for exhibitor space, so we would have to see if they would want us there without charging, since we wouldn't be selling anything, and would add another "draw". KC