Re: October meeting 10/10/09

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
      I won't be able to make the meeting, but I'm planning to go to KidsFest.

      KidsFest Items:
      1. Logistics (ride sharing, lodging, MOC transportation plans): Who's driving? Who's riding? For that matter, who's going? Have we heard anything more from Steve about how we connect with him/Lego?
      2. Events/activities: I understand there's nothing in the evenings. I guess Steve hinted at a possible visit to the Enfield facility- have we heard anything more about that? Also, I've been in indirect contact with some of the NELUG guys about playing BrikWars one evening. Is anyone else interested?
      3. MOCs/collaboration: I'll have a few spaceships that can hang out with Chris' sci-fi work. I understand there's also a town/train layout, a small post-apoc section, and possibly a moonbase. Am I missing anything? I have my micropolis modules still together, if others want to build some (standard is here: http://twinlug.com/micropolis-micro-city-standard/) we could have a pretty decent layout.
      4. NELUG collaboration: Is anyone from PennLUG in touch with anyone from NELUG? This might help us if we can connect with each others' work.

      Let me know what the discussion yields!
      David

      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Edwards" <cjedwards47@...> wrote:

      > Hey all, just a reminder that the next PennLUG meeting will be Saturday October 10, 2009. My roommate is ok with having it at our place, so I will host as promised. I'm in Havertown, PA for anyone who doesn't know already . I'll be sending out more details some time in the next week or so. Start time will most likely be 11:00 am as usual.
      >
      > The big item on the agenda will be LEGO KidsFest, which will be coming up very soon (November 20-22). If anyone who will be attending KidsFest is unable to make the October meeting, please think about anything you may have to say about it and post here in the group, so the rest of us can carry your info into our discussions at the meeting.
      >
      > Also of interest: I recently did a little reorganization at home, and have a new and improved LEGO MOC display area (filled with my own MOCs, but I'll have some space for other people to display things that they bring, too). I know some of you have seen my older MOCs enough that you're probably sick of them, but I'll hopefully have a few updates and additions.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Chris

    • shuppiluliumas
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
        I'll be there for sure. What's the parking situation like at your place. I might snag a zipcar for the day so I can bring a bunch of stuff. KidsFest still isn't looking good given my schedule (PhD exams will be that week and weekend, I think).

        Nate

        --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Edwards" <cjedwards47@...> wrote:

        > Hey all, just a reminder that the next PennLUG meeting will be Saturday October 10, 2009. My roommate is ok with having it at our place, so I will host as promised. I'm in Havertown, PA for anyone who doesn't know already . I'll be sending out more details some time in the next week or so. Start time will most likely be 11:00 am as usual.
        >
        > The big item on the agenda will be LEGO KidsFest, which will be coming up very soon (November 20-22). If anyone who will be attending KidsFest is unable to make the October meeting, please think about anything you may have to say about it and post here in the group, so the rest of us can carry your info into our discussions at the meeting.
        >
        > Also of interest: I recently did a little reorganization at home, and have a new and improved LEGO MOC display area (filled with my own MOCs, but I'll have some space for other people to display things that they bring, too). I know some of you have seen my older MOCs enough that you're probably sick of them, but I'll hopefully have a few updates and additions.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Chris

      • shuppiluliumas
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
          I'll bring mine for sure. Right now the M motor is hooked directly to the fan (seems to be the only way to cram it in there). The issue I see is that even on the lowest speed setting, it moves a bit too fast. Maybe we can find a way to limit the incoming voltage or something. I just wanted to put that out there before the meeting so we can give it some thought,

          Nate

          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, automechanic <automechanic@...> wrote:

          > Also we will be doing a test build on the wind farm. if you have a fan built bring it. doesnt matter if its motorized yet or not. also we will need 30 green base plates if some one can supply those as well.

        • Chris Edwards
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
            Parking is plentiful and free on my street.
            -Chris

            --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "shuppiluliumas" <shuppiluliumas@...> wrote:

            > I'll be there for sure. What's the parking situation like at your place. I might snag a zipcar for the day so I can bring a bunch of stuff. KidsFest still isn't looking good given my schedule (PhD exams will be that week and weekend, I think).
            >
            > Nate
            >

            > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Edwards" <cjedwards47@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey all, just a reminder that the next PennLUG meeting will be Saturday October 10, 2009. My roommate is ok with having it at our place, so I will host as promised. I'm in Havertown, PA for anyone who doesn't know already . I'll be sending out more details some time in the next week or so. Start time will most likely be 11:00 am as usual.
            > >
            > > The big item on the agenda will be LEGO KidsFest, which will be coming up very soon (November 20-22). If anyone who will be attending KidsFest is unable to make the October meeting, please think about anything you may have to say about it and post here in the group, so the rest of us can carry your info into our discussions at the meeting.
            > >
            > > Also of interest: I recently did a little reorganization at home, and have a new and improved LEGO MOC display area (filled with my own MOCs, but I'll have some space for other people to display things that they bring, too). I know some of you have seen my older MOCs enough that you're probably sick of them, but I'll hopefully have a few updates and additions.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Chris

          • automechanic
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
              the fans are going to be wired to a regulator so speed control sholdnt be a problem.

              shuppiluliumas wrote:

              > I'll bring mine for sure. Right now the M motor is hooked directly to the fan (seems to be the only way to cram it in there). The issue I see is that even on the lowest speed setting, it moves a bit too fast. Maybe we can find a way to limit the incoming voltage or something. I just wanted to put that out there before the meeting so we can give it some thought,
              > Nate
              > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups .com , automechanic <automechanic@ ...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Also we will be doing a test build on the wind farm. if you have a fan built bring it. doesnt matter if its motorized yet or not. also we will need 30 green base plates if some one can supply those as well.

            • jpark4evr
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                I have off that day and would like to attend.

                By the way, there is something happening in Lego stores on the same day to celebrate the release of the upcoming Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary book. I found out about this from Joe Meno on facebook. Here's what it said:

                Host:
                LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary
                Type:
                Other - Retail
                Network:
                Global
                Date:
                Saturday, October 10, 2009
                Time:
                11:00am - 5:00pm
                Location:
                Nationwide
                Description
                Fans will enjoy meeting and taking pictures with the StormTroopers of the 501st Legion and other STAR WARS characters. This public event will include giveaways such as posters, stickers, LEGO product, limited-run LEGO STAR WARS postcard packs, and other freebies.

                Fans of all ages are invited to attend and collectors will particularly enjoy being one of the first to purchase LEGO STAR WARS: The Visual Dictionary, packaged with an exclusive Celebration Luke Skywalker Minifigure!
                -end quote

                So it's going to be nationwide at Lego stores. As to whether or not it will be at the KOP store, I don't know. Haven't checked yet. But I think it would make for an interesting meeting. Plus, since Chris lives nearby, we could make it work. And there's free goodies. :-)

                Matt

                --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Edwards" <cjedwards47@...> wrote:

                > Hey all, just a reminder that the next PennLUG meeting will be Saturday October 10, 2009. My roommate is ok with having it at our place, so I will host as promised. I'm in Havertown, PA for anyone who doesn't know already . I'll be sending out more details some time in the next week or so. Start time will most likely be 11:00 am as usual.
                >
                > The big item on the agenda will be LEGO KidsFest, which will be coming up very soon (November 20-22). If anyone who will be attending KidsFest is unable to make the October meeting, please think about anything you may have to say about it and post here in the group, so the rest of us can carry your info into our discussions at the meeting.
                >
                > Also of interest: I recently did a little reorganization at home, and have a new and improved LEGO MOC display area (filled with my own MOCs, but I'll have some space for other people to display things that they bring, too). I know some of you have seen my older MOCs enough that you're probably sick of them, but I'll hopefully have a few updates and additions.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Chris

              • automechanic
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Somebody got ahold of a set of instructions for a 2010 set and it has some pictures.

                  Nothing major for me, except I love the gas tanker truck, and digging the fire boat with heli on the back.

                  Heres the link.

                • automechanic
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Edit on that. Its not a heli, but a crane/cherry picker arm. I do know however how I am modding that set now.