Layouts for Kids Fest (Re: Very time-sensitive! LEGO KidsFest in November)

  • caleleiphart
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 31, 2009
      I'm looking into the possibility of us cs and NELUG doing a joint train layout. Of course it would be good to at least have all our stuff in the same section if we go that route. Either way if you want to go and want to contribute to the train layout I need to now the dimensions of what you want to include if you haven't posted them already.

      The guys from NELUG are also doing a small Moon Base layout if anyone would like to contribute a Moon Base module for that. Heck I may build one if I have time :0

      And for Mike they will also have some Great Ball Contraption modules there.

      Cale

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
        Moonbase! Woohoo! Don't know if I'll get one together, but just the thought is exciting.

        --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "caleleiphart" <steampoweredbricks@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking into the possibility of us cs and NELUG doing a joint train layout. Of course it would be good to at least have all our stuff in the same section if we go that route. Either way if you want to go and want to contribute to the train layout I need to now the dimensions of what you want to include if you haven't posted them already.
        >
        > The guys from NELUG are also doing a small Moon Base layout if anyone would like to contribute a Moon Base module for that. Heck I may build one if I have time :0
        >
        > And for Mike they will also have some Great Ball Contraption modules there.
        >
        > Cale
        >
        > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, Cale Leiphart <steampoweredbricks@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Of course I'm in. I have to write a BrickJournal article about the
        > > event. And I'll post more on layouts shortly.
        > >
        > > Cale
        > > automechanic wrote:
        > > >

        > > > I am definatly going to be there. Currently the only thing I am
        > > > planning on bringing is the garage 2x2 48's, and a upsized pyramid
        > > > from 32 to 48. Cale and I were actually talking about combining what
        > > > we bring with what NELUG brings into one large layout instead of
        > > > trying to produce our own because we aren't sure who all is going.
        > > >
        > > > You might need to call Mike because he hasn't been very active on
        > > > these messages lately. I think he was interested in going.
        > > >

        > > > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus
        > > > signature database 4385 (20090831) __________
        > > >
        > > > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
        > > >
        > > > http://www.eset.com
        > >

        > > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4385 (20090831) __________

        > > http://www.eset.com

      • leggodt_5150
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
          I concur ... MOONBASE! SPACE! SPACE! SPACE! SPACE! SPACE!

          I'll see what I can dig up. I'll let you know by tomorrow if I am going and what I am bringing.

          If I can't get anything built, can I still come and help transport (I have a Ford Escape) and set up?

          - Dudley

          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

          > Moonbase! Woohoo! Don't know if I'll get one together, but just the thought is exciting.
          >
          > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "caleleiphart" <steampoweredbricks@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm looking into the possibility of us cs and NELUG doing a joint train layout. Of course it would be good to at least have all our stuff in the same section if we go that route. Either way if you want to go and want to contribute to the train layout I need to now the dimensions of what you want to include if you haven't posted them already.
          > >
          > > The guys from NELUG are also doing a small Moon Base layout if anyone would like to contribute a Moon Base module for that. Heck I may build one if I have time :0
          > >
          > > And for Mike they will also have some Great Ball Contraption modules there.
          > >
          > > Cale
          > >
          > > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, Cale Leiphart <steampoweredbricks@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Of course I'm in. I have to write a BrickJournal article about the
          > > > event. And I'll post more on layouts shortly.
          > > >
          > > > Cale

          > > > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4385 (20090831) __________
          > > >
          > > > The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
          > > >
          > > > http://www.eset.com

        • automechanic
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
            Just so you guys know. Cale, KC, Chris. I am stealing your photos of my MOC's for use on my flikr groups and MOC pages. They are way better then any photos I could take, plus I am being lazy.

          • automechanic
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
              Other then what I have already listed I am bringing my two turrets 16x16 studs each. I am bringing my permiter alarm. About the same size as the turrets. I am brining some sort of building on a 48x48 plate. Not sure yet exactly what it will be. And if you want I could bring the effile tower.

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
                Ok. But it'll cost ya. : )

                Cale

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4387 (20090901) __________

                http://www.eset.com

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4387 (20090901) __________

                http://www.eset.com
              • VZE2DPYQ
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Count me IN!  I will be there!

                  I will  have the crop circles.  I may have to rebuild them as I wasn't too gentle packing them up but that's no biggie.  I can also take lots of stuff for other people again.

                  Michael Tighe

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2009
                    I will also work on at least 2 Monorail stations.  I will be getting pieces to add the extra 5 brick's height needed to be compatible with the Sanders brothers' airport station (and Cale's trains).

                    Have we heard from Josh and/or Kyle regarding their attending Kid'sFest?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 3, 2009
                      Oops .. I missed the deadline.

                      Can I still get in on this? I have an idea for a Moonbase Module. Who can I talk too to make sure I have the standard correct?

                      - Dudley

                      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "weasel474747" <cjedwards47@...> wrote:

                      > Hey all, I didn't realize just how precise Steve Witt's info needed to be. He needs a count of how many people are attending LEGO KidsFest in November, and he needs to know by Wednesday. I asked him if an estimate is good enough, if we can add or subtract people closer to the time. Hopefully he'll answer that soon, but in the mean time, can anyone give me a definite answer? I know a lot of people are interested, but few people have committed. Let me remind you that a visit to Enfield (and all that it entails) is a good likelihood, for people who attend.
                      >
                      > The official website for the event is now live: http://legokidsfest.com/
                      >
                      > We also need to figure out how much space we need there, so Cale and I will probably be asking you about MOC contributions soon...
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Chris

                    • jpark4evr
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 3, 2009
                        You know what? You're totally right. lol It makes me think because that thing is a beast to set up. I think instead, I will bring the plantation scene minus the battlefield and maybe beef it up a little bit. I'd like to expand the size of the orchard and the plantation field a little bit, as well as add a few more cabins. But because the battlefield wouldn't be there, I'll switch out the slave minifigs for regulars since, well, I don't want to give people the wrong idea and provoke them. The battlefield provided the context, but without it they're not going to know why I chose to make a Southern plantation. As the plantation scene at Brickfair stood, it was 2x4 of the 32 studX32 stud plates. If you include the tracks in front of it, it's 3x4, and I can have that covered like last time. With that in mind, I'm confident that I can have it expanded to 3x6 for the show.

                        My houses could make for a nice little residential section. The Japanese home rests on 2 large grey plates. If I put the 15x32 stud baseplates alongside it, it covers an area of 4x4 of the 32x32 stud baseplates. The two split-level homes each rest on a baseplate, but the space is tight, so it is best to place a 15X32 stud baseplate in between them and a 15x32 or 32x32 stud baseplate behind them if you want them to have a backyard. The rancher rests on an area covering 1x1 1/2 baseplates. The same can apply to it as the ranchers, depending on how we're setting this up. They don't have to need a backyard, for example, if the buildings rested along the inside of the layout and sitting on the edge of the table. I can adjust stiff accordingly, just let me know.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 4, 2009
                          I for get what the date is for this. came someone post it asap so i can scedual it off from work.

                          jpark4evr wrote:

                          > You know what? You're totally right. lol It makes me think because that thing is a beast to set up. I think instead, I will bring the plantation scene minus the battlefield and maybe beef it up a little bit. I'd like to expand the size of the orchard and the plantation field a little bit, as well as add a few more cabins. But because the battlefield wouldn't be there, I'll switch out the slave minifigs for regulars since, well, I don't want to give people the wrong idea and provoke them. The battlefield provided the context, but without it they're not going to know why I chose to make a Southern plantation. As the plantation scene at Brickfair stood, it was 2x4 of the 32 studX32 stud plates. If you include the tracks in front of it, it's 3x4, and I can have that covered like last time. With that in mind, I'm confident that I can have it expanded to 3x6 for the show.
                          > My houses could make for a nice little residential section. The Japanese home rests on 2 large grey plates. If I put the 15x32 stud baseplates alongside it, it covers an area of 4x4 of the 32x32 stud baseplates. The two split-level homes each rest on a baseplate, but the space is tight, so it is best to place a 15X32 stud baseplate in between them and a 15x32 or 32x32 stud baseplate behind them if you want them to have a backyard. The rancher rests on an area covering 1x1 1/2 baseplates. The same can apply to it as the ranchers, depending on how we're setting this up. They don't have to need a backyard, for example, if the buildings rested along the inside of the layout and sitting on the edge of the table. I can adjust stiff accordingly, just let me know.
                          > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups .com , "caleleiphart" <steampoweredbricks @...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Fair enough Matt> Just remember you don't have 24hrs to set up this time.
                          >>
                          >> I know the Battle of (insert what ever battle the guy looking at it thinks it is) is 2 green base plates x 12
                          >>
                          >> Do yo know the dimensions on the other stuff?
                          >>
                          >> Cale
                          >>
                          >> --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups .com , "jpark4evr" <jpark203@> wrote:
                          >> >
                          >> > I would like to commit to this as well since there is no college to interfere this year. Would anybody like to go see this too? http://www.see- sciencecenter. org/visitors/ millyard- project.aspx
                          >> >
                          >> > I'd like to bring what I brought to BrickFair, including what wasn't in the layout, like the Japanese home, and the antique shop brownstone. I also have 2 split level homes and a rancher. I might be able to make some more, and we could have a nice little residential section.
                          >> >
                          >> > I'm all for linking up with the NELUG layout, but I would still rather have the PennLUG section be its own thing rather than mixing all our stuff into the layout all over the place.

                        • weasel474747
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 4, 2009
                            November 20-22. Hopefully we'll be able to show up on the 19th (a Thursday) to set up.
                            http://legokidsfest.com/
                            -Chris

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 4, 2009
                              Thursday set up would be great.

                              Cale

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 4, 2009
                                I don't know if Chris has heard from Steve yet But I think we can work things out.

                                Hopefuly we'll have more info in time for next weekends meeting.

                                Cale