RE: [Pennlug] Meetings, Brickworld and other things.

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 27 8:01 PM
      The meeting went quite well.  In addition to seeing K.C.'s LEGO stuff she has a plethora of fish, in tanks all over the place, and other animals.

      Someone else can mention all the cool LEGO and who was there, I'm drawing blanks at this hour.

      About track layouts.  I may be a bit confused.  (No surprise there...)  How much are we, as a group, planning on bringing to Brickworld (in June) for a train layout?  I was of the impression we were bringing (a lot) more to BrickFair (in August) than Brickworld, due to limited cargo capacity with only 2 vehicles going to Chicago.  Therefore the large layout would be needed for August, not June.

      (I wasn't planning on bringing any train stuff, or perhaps just a few smaller things.  I am hoping to have a GBC module.)

      It would be great to have as large a layout as possible at both events.  However, we have to keep in mind just how much we can feasibly take with us, to Chicago, while leaving room for our luggage yet leaving enough space for our purchases.  Even keeping in mind that my budget is drastically reduced this year I'm guessing we'll need to reserve at least the equivalent of 2 or 3 suitcases worth of space for purchases.  After all, there will be 4 people in my car along with their respective luggage and food, then purchases.

      For those who will be traveling with me to Chicago, I think it would be most helpful if, this week, we all figured out exactly how much (non-LEGO) we're each bringing.  By that I mean how big is your suit case or clothing/personal stuff carrier going to be.  I would like actual or close measurements so I can figure out how much space will likely to be left for our MOCs, be they town, train or whatever.

      Another possible solution to the cargo limit is K.C.'s offer to transport some things in her car, either there, back or perhaps both ways.  We'd have to find out from her just how much room she is able and willing to provide.  Furthermore, she will not be returning to PA at the same time as we will.  Therefore, we would need to
      give to her anything she would take during the regular meeting the weekend before Brickworld.  Furthermore if you wanted anything back before the July meeting you'd have to arrange that with her.

      We really need to figure this all out ASAP so we can reserve the correct amount of table space for Brickworld.

      Also, at the recent meeting we didn't settle on a definite location for the next meeting.  Chris offered to host again, or I could.  Perhaps we could have May's meeting at one then June's meeting at the other?  Or perhaps someone else may like to hold a meeting at their house before we start the cycle over...?  Perhaps another question would be, is there any logical reason to have June's meeting at any particular place in preparation for Brickworld, for which we'd be leaving the following Wednesday?

      Okay, I'm done.  Now who has exactly what to bring to Brickworld?

      Michael Tighe

      "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

      Message 2 of 14 , May 4, 2009
        We did discuss train layouts for both Brickworld and Brickfair at the March meeting. I can still contribute to both if we do both...

        I haven't decided yet which MOCs I want to bring to Brickworld and which I'll leave behind. I guess I should decide soon. How much space will you have, KC? I could easily fill a lot of vehicle space with some of my stuff (my Fighting for Life diorama is pretty large, for example), but I don't want to be a hog.

        As for non-Lego stuff, I'm hoping there will be room for a backpack (full of in-flight entertainment) at my feet, and then for clothing and stuff I'll probably use a duffel bag that's 2 or 3 cubic feet.

        Finally, I'll confirm that my house is available for a meeting on Saturday, if people want to do that... Would it make sense to do the June meeting at Mike's if that's going to be our launchpad for Brickworld the next week? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

        Wherever we do the meeting this week, I'll have a big new (castle-themed) MOC to show off.

        -Chris

        Message 3 of 14 , May 4, 2009
          I think we should have something for both summer events.  But I wouldn't know how much we can take, as a group, to Brickworld without everyone presenting some idea of how big each person's respective boxes will be.

          Packing MOCs for a trip:  Use boxes or bins!  Cale has some very good examples of packing things well in boxes and bins.  You want to make sure as much as possible of your MOC is securely held in place.  Maybe shirts and socks could be used to fill in spaces.  These boxes will be bounced down the road for several hours - 12 hours to Chicago.  (Take pictures if you must to help you put pieces back on.)  Your boxes and bins must be able to handle some weight on top.

          I won't be bringing much to Brickworld.  This will leave more room for others.  Furthermore, I probably won't be bringing much more back with me.  (Shocking!)

          I'm sure there will be room for entertainment gear plus duffels or other carriers for clothing.  (But I'm hoping to keep the car firmly on the ground...)  As for entertainment, my car has a 6-disc CD changer.  So bring music or you may have to put up with me singing.

          I'm looking forward to seeing Chris' new castle MOC.  For that reason I think we should have the next meeting at Chris' house this Saturday (just a few days away).  Then we can figure out where we want to have the next meeting.

          Who will be at the meeting this Saturday?  (I will be there.)

          Michael

          Message 4 of 14 , May 5, 2009
            Not sure of my weekend plans yet, but if I'm free I'll be there (if I can find my way back to Chris' house or wherever it is). Just give me a time and an address and I'll do what I can. I might even bring a MOC or two!
            David

          • automechanic
            Message 5 of 14 , May 5, 2009
              Not sure if I will make it. If I get accept into Hot Import Nights in New Jersey I will be spending the entire weekend finishing up loose ends on my car. If I don't get in(I should know before saturday) I will be there. I have figured out what all is going and will box it up. Whoever is registering it for me at the show, all I ask is that you put the name of the owner as my online profile "Eviljack".  I have 4 complete and 1 I am hoping to complete in time for Brick world.

            • leggodt_5150
              Message 6 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                My sister is graduating from Mount Aloysius College this weekend, so I will be in Cresson, PA all day Saturday.

                As far as Cons, Michelle and I have been working on plans to go to BrickCon in Seattle. I have a few Lego friends that live on the West coast, so I thought it was time to pack up and go visit them.

                We wanted to go last year but couldn't make it. This year things fell into place and we already booked our plane tickets. Therefore you will not see us at BrickFair or BrickWorld.

                I'm not even considering taking any MOC's to BrickCon since we will have to travel by plane, but I am making sure to leave room to bring stuff back :-D

                - Dudley

                --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

                > Not sure of my weekend plans yet, but if I'm free I'll be there (if I can find my way back to Chris' house or wherever it is). Just give me a time and an address and I'll do what I can. I might even bring a MOC or two!
                > David
                >
                > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I think we should have something for both summer events. But I wouldn't
                > > know how much we can take, as a group, to Brickworld without everyone
                > > presenting some idea of how big each person's respective boxes will be.
                > >
                > > Packing MOCs for a trip: Use boxes or bins! Cale has some very
                > > good examples of packing things well in boxes and bins. You want to make
                > > sure as much as possible of your MOC is securely held in place. Maybe
                > > shirts and socks could be used to fill in spaces. These boxes will be
                > > bounced down the road for several hours - 12 hours to Chicago. (Take
                > > pictures if you must to help you put pieces back on.) Your boxes and bins
                > > must be able to handle some weight on top.
                > >
                > > I won't be bringing much to Brickworld. This will leave more room for
                > > others. Furthermore, I probably won't be bringing much more back with me.
                > > (Shocking!)
                > >
                > > I'm sure there will be room for entertainment gear plus duffels or other
                > > carriers for clothing. (But I'm hoping to keep the car firmly on the
                > > ground...) As for entertainment, my car has a 6-disc CD changer. So bring
                > > music or you may have to put up with me singing.
                > >
                > > I'm looking forward to seeing Chris' new castle MOC. For that reason I
                > > think we should have the next meeting at Chris' house this Saturday (just a
                > > few days away). Then we can figure out where we want to have the next
                > > meeting.
                > >
                > > Who will be at the meeting this Saturday? (I will be there.)
                > >

                > > Michael
                > >
                > > "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

              • leggodt_5150
                Message 7 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                  Umm ... not sure of your weekend plans?

                  HEEEEELLLLLO?!? Friday night, Appalachian Brewing Company, OurAfter ... remember?

                  For those that did not hear. My band, OurAfter, will be playing at the Appalachian Brewing Company Friday night.

                  Doors open at 7pm.

                  Appalachian Brewing Company
                  50 N Cameron St
                  Harrisburg, PA 17101

                • kreativsnail
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                    --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "leggodt_5150" <mdudley2112@...> wrote:

                    > Umm ... not sure of your weekend plans?
                    >
                    > HEEEEELLLLLO?!? Friday night, Appalachian Brewing Company, OurAfter ... remember?
                    >
                    > For those that did not hear. My band, OurAfter, will be playing at the Appalachian Brewing Company Friday night.
                    >
                    > Doors open at 7pm.
                    >
                    > Appalachian Brewing Company
                    > 50 N Cameron St
                    > Harrisburg, PA 17101

                    Sorry Dude
                    Thats a bit far to drive after a long day of work. Now, if you were playing in Lansdale, I might just be there! KC
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 5, 2009
                      I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend but I'll post all the
                      relevant info I have on Brickworld (including how much stuff I may take)
                      tomorrow.

                      Cale

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 6, 2009
                        Well, yeah, but that's not the part of the weekend that determines whether or not I make the LUG meeting. ;-)

                      • joshuamsanders
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 7, 2009
                          We are not going to be able to make it to the meeting this weekend. We have a wicked combination of finals, athletics, and mother's day celebrations...

                          I originally thought I could go to Chicago, but due to recent family and work obligations, I cannot make it to BrickWorld... I'm really disappointed, but we are pressing on and looking forward to seeing everyone in June right before you guys head out on the road.

                          I hope everyone has a great weekend and is safe making their way to the meeting.

                          Take it easy,
                          Josh & Kyle
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 7, 2009
                            Too bad you won't be able to make it to Chicago.  Hopefully you both will be able to go to BrickFair in August.

                            However, this now means I have room for another person for the trip to Chicago.  Who is going to join us?