RE: [Pennlug] February 2009 Meeting Notes

  • automechanic
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
      Hey guys whats up? Had a great time. Can't wait for the next meet which is right after my birthday. So maybe I will have to bring some cake.

      On the thought of food. Maybe we should start a food list and have those showing up sign up for bringing items? I realize this can backfire is plans change but its the best thing I can think of. Maybe we just plan finger food snacks so that if someone can't make it were not missing a huge thing.

      Notes on my current creation.

      The crane, I have finished my design work on it and now its just a matter of ordering parts. Its going to be a electromagnetic crane. In design only of course. Only three basic changes. The addition of weighted bricks to the rear. Reinforcement of the crank section. I found that while lifting heavier loads this area popped loose. And I have designed a magnetic lifter for the hook on the front.  This will be avaliable for use in the group display.

      My heli. I spent a good amount of time yesterday reworking it. I am happy with the results this time. The redesign on the rotor blades we worked on is perfect. The design is pretty much done. The build is about 90% complete. I just have to make a few bricklink orders for a few more pieces that I need to finish it up. This is also avaliable for the group displays.

      The big fortress of wallet drainage. Well thats another matter all together. For those of you there you knew I was waiting on a few BL orders to come in to complete the corner section. Well those orders come and its looking pretty good. Unfortunatly I did some calculations once I finally knew what kinds of parts I would need and how many of each I would need. Yeah this thing is going to be expensive. I am looking at a $1000 easy, if not more. Its not that I mind spending that money on the project I just don't think I will be able to speed that much in time for DC. If we get some overtime coming our way soon then it should be a problem but as of now its not looking good. And once DC is over I have a new project I wanna start and will probably use pieces from this to build it. I have givin up on the idea of it being moonbase compatable. Its funny because if I had all the pieces I needed I would probably have it build already. Its not a difficult build.

      So I came up with a new idea for it. Its going to be a space police headquarters/fortress/base thing. The idea I am running with is a modfied backstory somewhat based on the new space police III sets. Baically after the threat of blacktron was over the space police cut back on their funding and size of force. Now with the new alien criminal activity at an all time high and growing, the space police are trying to rebuild their force agian. Haven't got all details worked out in story form yet but basically a small police force is set out to the fringes of space police teritorry to try and gain more footage. They are sent to re-occupy a old police headquarters. Once they get there they find it in a defunct and delabidated state. I figured this works if I don't complete it as I can make it look run down and incomplete. So the current plan is to keep building as much of it as I can. Then once I get to the end of july just taking what I have left and make it look  rundown and wrecked. Plus I plan to purchase the new sets either before or at the convention to add to the detail of the set. I do plan at minimum to have the gate walls, two corner walls, and at least one side wall done, The side wall can be split in two and have half on each side. That will be exactly 6 plates which is half and just make the other parts look damaged and wrecked. With a few even being only a few parts there to represent the foundation of the fortress.

      So yeah thats where I am at right now. Can't wait to see you all again.

    • joshuamsanders
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2009
        Hey Guys sounds like I missed an awesome meeting. We are extremely
        excited to be hosting in March. Hopefully everything lives up to
        expectation...

        We live in Fleetwood, which is just outside of Reading and close to
        Kutztown University. I hope that provides people with some
        perspective on our location.

        Hope building is going well for everyone..

        Take it easy,
        -Josh & Kyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2009
          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...> wrote:

          > For next meeting:
          >
          > Some people expressed interest in going to Brick World in Chicago this June
          > (brickworld.us) and/or Brick Fair near D.C. in August (brickfair.com).
          > Deadlines to register aren't for months yet but it would be helpful for
          > planning if if we could get some (mostly) firm numbers of who is going to
          > which. (I'm registered for both.) We will definitely be car-pooling to
          > Chicago (12 hour drive) so costs can be shared for gas, tolls and room(s).
          > There may be 2 cars going if we have enough interest. D.C is close enough
          > that taking individual cars is feasible. We can discuss finer details as
          > the events get closer.

          I'm definitely in for Brickworld and BrickFair.

          > It will also be helpful for any shows at which PennLUG has a display to plan
          > out who has what and how big it is so we can figure out where things can go.
          > We have 4 months until Chicago and 6 months 'till D.C. That may seem like a
          > long time but it will pass quickly. Therefore let us all think and try to
          > plan out what we will each want to bring and how big it is/will be. It
          > would be extremely helpful to have some specifics for next meeting, keeping
          > in mind we'll probably have to be flexible with what will go where and maybe
          > even have to fill in gaps if some things don't get finished in time for a
          > planned event.
          >
          > KC's idea for her contribution to a collaborative display is she will be
          > making a scene of a PennLUG picnic. She is not a town or train builder so
          > hers will most likely be added in or among other MOCs in a park setting.
          > For this she will require us each to provide a mini-fig which represents
          > ourselves. This is what is called a "Sig-Fig", but in this case not a
          > fantasy figure. In other words a mini-fig which would reasonably be
          > recognized as the person it supposed to represent in real life. For this we
          > might consider having the Brick Printer, Tommy Armstrong, print something on
          > one or both sides of mini-fig torsos. However, as far as I know, he can
          > only print on white... I'm going to add 1 or more 1x1 plates to the feet of
          > mine. I wonder if Tommy can print on mini-fig heads? I'd like to add some
          > grey hair. :o)

          I need to dig out and update my fig.

          > If we can each figure out what we want to bring we can get an early idea how
          > many tables we'll need. This is very important to know as soon as we can.
          > That is so we can reserve enough tables at which ever event(s) we're going
          > to setup a big, or even medium, display. Even at a very large show like
          > Brick World there is a finite number of tables. Whoever reserves them first
          > gets them...
          >
          > As such, Matt Hocker has told me he has 2 MOCs which are 2 green base plates
          > by 5 base plates and 2x7 base plates. Add another row of base plates for 2
          > lines of train tracks which will make 3x5 and 3x7 base plates respectively.
          > If my guesses are close that will fill up 2 whole tables, maybe 2 & 1/2
          > tables. (Each base plate being 32x32 studs makes them 10 inches square.)
          >
          > Furthermore, for planning purposes we will need to know who has how much of
          > what kinds of track and base plates. If needed I'm sure some of us won't
          > mind lending some things to others for a show... Matt Hocker previously
          > posted with his inventory of relevant stuff. I'm not going to look that up
          > now. However, if we all check out what we each have I will find Matt's
          > post, add my inventory to it and repost. That way we can post to the same
          > chain so it will be easier to keep up with who has what.
          >
          > I look forward to our next meeting at the Sanders' home, meeting their
          > parents and seeing in person what looked like a really cool layout in the
          > pictures posted online. I also look forward to continuing to plan what is
          > sure to be the biggest club displays to date.
          >
          > These are exciting times for PennLUG. We are growing and we have a great
          > group of enthusiastic people with demonstrated building skills. I can
          > hardly wait to see what we can come up with together.

          Indeed!

          > Michael Tighe
          >

          > "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

          Cale
          Need Trains!
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2009
            --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "joshuamsanders" <joshuamsanders@...>
            wrote:

            > Hey Guys sounds like I missed an awesome meeting. We are extremely
            > excited to be hosting in March. Hopefully everything lives up to
            > expectation...
            >
            > We live in Fleetwood, which is just outside of Reading and close to
            > Kutztown University. I hope that provides people with some
            > perspective on our location.
            >
            > Hope building is going well for everyone..
            >
            > Take it easy,
            > -Josh & Kyle

            I'm definitely looking forward to this meeting and seeing your train
            layout.