I need some help.

  • automechanicx
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
      Is there anyone on here that is pretty good at either coping someones
      lego design, creating a design based off images? There are three lego
      vehicals that I wanna make. Two of them I want to make direct copies of
      someone elses design. I like them that much. The third one will be to
      try and build a lego version of a Warhammer 40k hovertank. If anyone
      thinks they got the skill let me know cause I need help.
    • weasel474747
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
        I'll start with the things you want to copy. Do you have links to
        pictures of them?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
          If you want to copy something you might try contacting the original builder.  They may or may not approve of someone copying their work.  However, most don't seem to mind, as long as you give them credit any time you post pictures or display it.  In fact, they are usually somewhat flattered that someone likes it enough to reproduce their work.  They might also have plans, more detailed pictures or other tips which could help you in your mission.

          That said, without (very) detailed plans and/or a lot of help from the originator, it is likely to be virtually impossible to to create a 100% accurate copy.  You may not have all the same pieces.  Or more likely, you may find that you want to make some changes for your own reasons.  Still, as challenging and difficult as it may be, I believe you will likely learn a lot about building from trying to make your copies.  Hopefully that is your long-term goal:  to learn how to be a better builder yourself.

          As has already been posted, it would be most helpful to know what you want to build.  If you can provide some links would be the first step.  Who knows, someone in the club may even know who the original builder(s) and can help you make contact.

          Good luck.

          Michael Tighe

          "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2009
            Ok I have included the links to the ones I want to copy below. The main reasons for copying them is 1: I want them for my own personal display at home 2: the techniquies used are interesting and I want to figure out how they are done as it will help expand my techniques as well.  I have tired to contact the owner of the photos to see if you had any more photos, or instructions on how to build them. I haven't heard back anything from him. I know I don't have all the pieces I need but I can get them once I figure out how to make them. Also I figure I can make the models in multi color till I get them complete and then take the time to replace them into a color scheme.

            Here are the links.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2009
              Bram is active on classic-space.com- if you're a member there, you
              should be able to track him down and send him a PM. From what I've
              heard, he's a pretty good guy.
              David