Re: January meeting: when and where?

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
      Lancaster and survey sound like good ideas for me.

      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...>
      wrote:

      > I have spoken to my mother, who lives in Lancaster city near F & M
      College.
      > She is willing to allow me to host meetings at her home.
      >
      > In truth, I want her to see other adults who are really into LEGO
      so maybe
      > she won't think I'm so strange. (Okay, I know that's a stretch.)
      So I'd
      > really appreciate it if everyone brought some thing(s) to show and
      tell.

      > Although I haven't seen a plot of ZIP codes, it seems to me that
      Lancaster
      > is somewhat central to our membership map.
      >
      > I suggest we have our next meeting in Lancaster. My mother's house
      will be
      > much less noisy than KoP mall. I'll be glad to provide beverages
      and
      > snacks. If we start at about 11:00 again we could order pizza
      after 12:00.

      > Dates that work well for me are January 17th or 24th. However, I
      doubt KC
      > could make it on the 17th.
      >
      > Anyone else have opinions on places or dates?
      >
      > For anyone who can't make it to January's meeting, no matter where
      it will
      > be, please reply with input as to where you would like to see future
      > meetings held. Town or area are good enough unless you have a
      specific
      > place in mind. My idea is to discuss all ideas for future meeting
      places
      > during this, and perhaps the next meeting, so we can come up with a
      definite
      > schedule of locations, presumably on a rotating basis, to make it
      more fair
      > and easier for more members to attend with at least some semi-
      regularity.

      > I think we have had enough new interest, along with our core of
      regular
      > members that we can start to get some things going. I think it
      might be
      > interesting to see what ideas our collective members, especially
      our new
      > members, have for what they'd like get out of membership in the
      club. For
      > some it might be enough to simply meet with other adults to discuss
      ideas
      > and/or do show and tell with other LEGO enthusiasts. Perhaps hold
      building
      > challenges and vote for winners? (Probably no prizes, just bragging
      > rights...) For others they may want to get more involvement with
      the
      > community at large. Or coordinate collaborative displays for large
      (or
      > small) brick events. There is no rule which says everyone must do
      > everything. I think it is important for each of us to do what most
      enjoy
      > to, for and with the Brick we all love so much, supporting other
      members
      > doing what they enjoy when possible.
      >
      > I suggest a survey to get everyone's feedback. I have some
      experience with
      > surveys and I'd be glad to put something together if I knew enough
      people
      > would complete it. Opinions on this or anything else?
      >

      > Michael Tighe
      >

      > "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

      Behalf Of
      > Phillip Thorne
      > Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 10:11 PM
      > To: delvalug@yahoogroups.com; Pennlug@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [Pennlug] January meeting: when and where?
      >

      > At the December 20th meeting in King of Prussia, the nine
      attendees
      > (including three new recruits) voted to defer choosing a place and
      > time for the January joint meeting until we could gather the
      > preferences of the non-attendees (at least five).
      >
      > It doesn't have to be the King of Prussia Mall (we do need to
      swap out
      > the Window, although not necessarily during a meeting). We could
      > start a rotation at members' houses.
      >
      > Mid-January would be sensible, we agreed.
      >
      > KC Ross votes against the third Saturday of each month. She also
      > offers her house in Bucks County as a venue.
      >
      > If we had a list of members' ZIP codes (ahem, Cale? weren't you
      going
      > to email that?), I could plot them on a map and determine good
      central
      > points. I could post the map in the PennLUG Y!G files section --
      with
      > all the points unlabeled, mind, so it doesn't reveal anyone's
      > location.
      >
      > --
      > ** DelVaLUG: The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group *****
      > ** www.delvalug.com **
      > ** Sent by Phillip Thorne **
      > ** ************************************************* **

    • Phillip Thorne
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 15 6:49 PM
        On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Cale wrote:
        >The Second Saturday is the 10th. Too soon me thinks. The Fourth Saturday
        >is the 24th. I think this would suit us better. Any objections.

        The 24th is good for me.

        >> If we had a list of members' ZIP codes [...] I could plot them on
        >> a map and determine good central points.

        I have created such a map in Google My Maps (there are a lot more
        options if you sign in), and I've asked a few other members to
        experiment with it. It's an "unlisted" map, which means you need the
        specific URL to view it, which means I felt secure in putting names to
        the thumbtacks.

        Right now, the centroid appears to be Reading. There are no members
        *there*, so KoP is still the more usefully central location. We may
        want to break into regional subcommittees to limit driving.

        >>I could post the map in the PennLUG Y!G files section -- with
        >> all the points unlabeled, mind, so [it's anonymized]

        I still need to do that. And we've now got three new members (Joel,
        Joshua & Kyle) (in two locations) to add.

        --
        ** DelVaLUG: The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group *****
        ** www.delvalug.com **
        ** Sent by Phillip Thorne **
        ** ************************************************* **
      • joshuamsanders
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 16 7:40 AM
          I don't know how much this will help, but Fleetwood is about 10 minutes
          away from Reading. We are definitly planning on making it to the
          January 24th meeting, we just don't know if we should host, becuase we
          really have no idea what to expect (for the meeting or club). If
          anyone has any other input or could help us prepare and it would be a
          shorter drive for everyone, maybe it would be the best option. Keep us
          up to speed.

          Take it easy,
          Joshua & Kyle
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 16 8:50 PM
            Sorry I haven't been paying attention lately. I've actually been doing a lot of building so I at least have a good excuse. :D

            --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Thorne <pethorne@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Cale wrote:
            > >The Second Saturday is the 10th. Too soon me thinks. The Fourth Saturday
            > >is the 24th. I think this would suit us better. Any objections.
            >
            > The 24th is good for me.

            Great.

            > >> If we had a list of members' ZIP codes [...] I could plot them on
            > >> a map and determine good central points.
            >
            > I have created such a map in Google My Maps (there are a lot more
            > options if you sign in), and I've asked a few other members to
            > experiment with it. It's an "unlisted" map, which means you need the
            > specific URL to view it, which means I felt secure in putting names to
            > the thumbtacks.
            >
            > Right now, the centroid appears to be Reading. There are no members
            > *there*, so KoP is still the more usefully central location. We may
            > want to break into regional subcommittees to limit driving.

            Mike Tighe ofered to host the next meeting. I believe east Lancaster? Are you still willing Mike?

            As for King of Prussia. While visiting the LEGO store is great meeting in the food court is some what of a hassle. It's hard to bring in any big MOCs to show off, background noise is a problem, and so is seating. I'd realy like to find a better solution.

            Also I don't necessarily care for the regional Idea. If we are trying to grow the club and reach some kind of critical mass I think this is the wrong road to take. I admit driving distance can be an issue for some but it is some thing I'm willing to do if it means a healthier club.

            > >>I could post the map in the PennLUG Y!G files section -- with
            > >> all the points unlabeled, mind, so [it's anonymized]
            >
            > I still need to do that. And we've now got three new members (Joel,
            > Joshua & Kyle) (in two locations) to add.

            The map by the way looks really nice.

            Cale
            The state of PennLUG is strong.
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17 8:46 AM
              Yes, I'm still willing to host the next meeting.  My mother's house is on the West side of Lancaster, near F&M College.

              438 State Street
              Lancaster, PA 17603

              How about 11:00 am?  Is that too early for anyone traveling?

              We can sit around the living room and talk or in the dining room if we need to take notes at the table.  There is a good sized side board to display anything brought along for Show & Tell.  I'm thinking of bringing a bunch of my Technic sets and maybe a robot if I have a chance to work on the program.

              So Cale, if you've been building a lot, does that mean you're bringing some thing(s) to show...?

              I will have plenty of refreshments and we can order pizza delivered.

              I'm looking forward to seeing returning new members and new new members.  I'm going to have a lot to talk about.  I thing PennLUG is going to have an exciting year in 2009. Let's start it with a big turn out for the first meeting of the year.

              Michael

              "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

              Sorry I haven't been paying attention lately. I've actually been doing a lot of building so I at least have a good excuse. :D

              --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups .com, Phillip Thorne <pethorne@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Cale wrote:
              > >The Second Saturday is the 10th. Too soon me thinks. The Fourth Saturday
              > >is the 24th. I think this would suit us better. Any objections.
              >
              > The 24th is good for me.

              Great.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17 11:09 AM
                --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...> wrote:

                > Yes, I'm still willing to host the next meeting. My mother's house is on
                > the West side of Lancaster, near F&M College.
                >
                > 438 State Street
                > Lancaster, PA 17603
                >
                > How about 11:00 am? Is that too early for anyone traveling?

                I'm fine with 11:00 if no one else has any objections.

                > We can sit around the living room and talk or in the dining room if we need
                > to take notes at the table. There is a good sized side board to display
                > anything brought along for Show & Tell. I'm thinking of bringing a bunch of
                > my Technic sets and maybe a robot if I have a chance to work on the program.

                Cool!

                > So Cale, if you've been building a lot, does that mean you're bringing some
                > thing(s) to show...?

                I may have some thing to show. Every one will just have to come to the meeting to find out. :D

                > I will have plenty of refreshments and we can order pizza delivered.
                >
                > I'm looking forward to seeing returning new members and new new members.
                > I'm going to have a lot to talk about. I thing PennLUG is going to have an
                > exciting year in 2009. Let's start it with a big turn out for the first
                > meeting of the year.
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

                Excellent!

                Cale
                Go Big!

              • kreativkc@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 18 6:57 AM
                  sounds fine to me. I should be there.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 22 10:12 PM
                    I'm resending my address for those who may need it.  I figure if you are reading this message you can look up the address on MapQuest or some such.

                    I'd like the meeting to start at 11:00, since I've already received a number of confirmations that time is acceptable.

                    I will provide refreshments then we can order pizza delivered and split the cost.

                    PennLUG may known for its train builders.  However, I'm mostly into Technic and robotics.  All themes and ideas are always welcome in PennLUG.

                    I will have a bunch of my Technic sets for display and hands-on demonstration.  (They're LEGO.  They're meant to be played with...)  I invite everyone to bring something for show-and-tell.  Personally, I'm hoping to see some of Charlottes cars.  If you can't bring any MOCs pictures would be great too.

                    I look forward to seeing new members from recent meetings and meeting new members who have recently introduced themselves here.  Please be ready to talk about what you like to build, what you are building, what you want to build and perhaps even what you'd like to see/do with PennLUG.

                    Michael Tighe

                    "There's no such thing as too much LEGO."

                    "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

                    Sorry I haven't been paying attention lately. I've actually been doing a lot of building so I at least have a good excuse. :D

                    --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups .com, Phillip Thorne <pethorne@...> wrote:

                    > On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Cale wrote:
                    > >The Second Saturday is the 10th. Too soon me thinks. The Fourth Saturday
                    > >is the 24th. I think this would suit us better. Any objections.
                    >
                    > The 24th is good for me.

                    Great.

                    > >> If we had a list of members' ZIP codes [...] I could plot them on
                    > >> a map and determine good central points.
                    >
                    > I have created such a map in Google My Maps (there are a lot more
                    > options if you sign in), and I've asked a few other members to
                    > experiment with it. It's an "unlisted" map, which means you need the
                    > specific URL to view it, which means I felt secure in putting names to
                    > the thumbtacks.
                    >
                    > Right now, the centroid appears to be Reading. There are no members
                    > *there*, so KoP is still the more usefully central location. We may
                    > want to break into regional subcommittees to limit driving.

                    Mike Tighe ofered to host the next meeting. I believe east Lancaster? Are you still willing Mike?

                    As for King of Prussia. While visiting the LEGO store is great meeting in the food court is some what of a hassle. It's hard to bring in any big MOCs to show off, background noise is a problem, and so is seating. I'd realy like to find a better solution.

                    Also I don't necessarily care for the regional Idea. If we are trying to grow the club and reach some kind of critical mass I think this is the wrong road to take. I admit driving distance can be an issue for some but it is some thing I'm willing to do if it means a healthier club.

                    > >>I could post the map in the PennLUG Y!G files section -- with
                    > >> all the points unlabeled, mind, so [it's anonymized]
                    >
                    > I still need to do that. And we've now got three new members (Joel,
                    > Joshua & Kyle) (in two locations) to add.

                    The map by the way looks really nice.

                    Cale
                    The state of PennLUG is strong.

                  • automechanicx
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 23 11:13 AM
                      So I got the reminder. Are you guys telling me that this meeting is
                      24hrs long?? hehe.

                      Also does anyone have the new Construction Site lego set? I need a copy
                      of the instructions. I tied to get them from the lego website but my
                      computer always locks up when trying to download.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 23 2:39 PM
                        Do you have a set number?  How new is the set?  I bought (a few*) sets at the KoP store the Saturday before Christmas.  I could check if I knew the number.

                        If I don't have it perhaps I could download the instructions and bring a digital copy or print out.

                        Michael Tighe

                        :o(   (I'm sad because I dented my LEGO budget on a new(er) car...)

                        *Maybe someone can bring their pictures they took as we were carrying (& rolling on a large cart) the bags out of the store.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 23 8:59 PM
                          The set is 7633 the new constructions site set.