Re: What project(s) are everyone working on?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hocker" <jpark203@...> wrote:

      > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Cale Leiphart" steampoweredbricks@
      > wrote:

      > > I've been working on a new steam locomotive. I know should be building
      > > more rolling stock for my engines to pull but Jeramy Spurgeon at
      > > RailBricks <http://www.railbricks.com/> presented me with an
      > > opportunity I couldn't pass up. The next issue of RailBricks will be
      > > focusing on steam and Jeramy was looking for some one to build a steam
      > > engine powered with the new Power Functions system (some thing I've
      > > actually been think of for a while) and create instructions for the
      > > magazine.
      > >
      > > Here are some early in progress pics.
      > >
      > > Pennsy H10s <http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=189605>
      > >
      > > The engine is Pnnsylvania RR H10s #7688. The only surviving Lima built
      > > Pennsy steam engine and now preserved and on display at the RR Museum
      > of
      > > Pennsylvania. I'm almost finished with it (just need to detail the cab
      > > interior) and so far in testing it's turnig out to be a great runner.
      > Interesting concept. I'd like to see how that pans out.
      >
      > And the instructions will be of the engine? Or just the car that's
      > holding the Power Functions system?

      I'll be doing instructions for the whole locomotive but given the size of the instructions it will be divided up into sections and printed over several issues.

      > I really need to do a Civil War era steam train someday, but I need to
      > finish the Plantation and a few other scenes I have planned first (maybe
      > an Amish farm, as well as a scene of the New York draft riots. That
      > would be cool...). But I still think I'd really love to do the Lincoln
      > funeral train, just because I'm that weird. I need to find good images
      > though.

      The Civil War train sounds like an awesome idea. Most scale RR modelers shy away from modeling any pre 1910-20's eras since so few good off the shelf models exist. So most stuff needs to be kit bashed or scratch built. That's not an issue with LEGO because every thing is custom built no matter what era you choose (score one for plastic bricks). So there is no good reason not to do the Civil War.

      The Lincoln funeral train would be a great idea. It would be unigue with a great story behind it. You have to do it. It's a moral imparitive.

      Cale

      Moles and trolls, moles and trolls, work, work, work, work, work. We never see the light of day. We plan this thing for weeks and all they want to do is study. I'm disgusted. I'm sorry but it's not like me, I'm depressed. There was what, no one at the mutant hamster races and we had one entry into the Madame Curie look-alike contest and he was disqualified later. Why do I bother?
    • John Rudy
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
        I too would love to see a model of Lincoln's Funeral Train, but it
        would take an extremely talented train builder *cough*Cale*cough* to
        get it done right.

        http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/news/train.htm

        Here's a shot of the train in Harrisburg before departing for
        Philadelphia:
        http://www.explorepahistory.com/displayimage.php?imgId=1702

        That would be the configuration that passed through Lancaster
        according to this map:

        http://awesometalks.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/lft-map-01-75.jpg
        and this table-
        http://www.lincoln-highway-museum.org/WHMC/WHMC-LFTR-01.html

        I don't have the parts out of storage right now (my train-specific
        parts are in my parents' attic in Southern VA), or I'd at least tackle
        "the United States," the Presidential car.

        Here's a clip from Frank Leslie's in '65:
        http://www3.gettysburg.edu/~jrudy/History/Lincoln%20Funeral/Frank%20Leslies%20-%20Funeral%20Car%20on%20Steamer.PNG

        Not that I'm anxious to see this on Brickshelf or anything.
        :-)

        OK, anyways, I'm currently working on expanding my 1930s era street
        scene, as well as still plugging along on a few historic buildings
        here in Gettysburg.

        In the pipeline is a replica of the USS Monitor, as well... when
        time, cash and Pick-a-brick cooperate.

        -John

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "John Rudy" <TJJohn12@...> wrote:

          > I too would love to see a model of Lincoln's Funeral Train, but it
          > would take an extremely talented train builder *cough*Cale*cough* to
          > get it done right.

          Aw shucks. :"> While it would be really neat train I have way too many future projects on my list already. I have built the locomotive that pulled President Harding's funeral train though.

          PRR K4s #3750

          Brickshelf Gallery

          Though this loco is badly in need of a rebuild (she was my first steamer) and I have no plans to build the funeral consist. She'll get a Broadway Limited consist some day and a major revamp.

          But enough about me. I think Matt has the chops and the better knowledge of that time period to tackle it.

          > http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/news/train.htm

          Cool link. The Nashville looks interesting.

          > Here's a shot of the train in Harrisburg before departing for
          > Philadelphia:
          > http://www.explorepahistory.com/displayimage.php?imgId=1702

          Though I can't read the tender that is almost certainly a Pennsy Loco on point there given it was traveling on Pennsy's tracks through PA. I may see if I can dig up the specific type.

          > That would be the configuration that passed through Lancaster
          > according to this map:
          >
          > http://awesometalks.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/lft-map-01-75.jpg
          > and this table-
          > http://www.lincoln-highway-museum.org/WHMC/WHMC-LFTR-01.html
          >
          > I don't have the parts out of storage right now (my train-specific
          > parts are in my parents' attic in Southern VA), or I'd at least tackle
          > "the United States," the Presidential car.

          The United States looks like an Interesting car. The trucks look very intriguing.

          > Here's a clip from Frank Leslie's in '65:
          > http://www3.gettysburg.edu/~jrudy/History/Lincoln%20Funeral/Frank%20Leslies%20-%20Funeral%20Car%20on%20Steamer.PNG
          >
          > Not that I'm anxious to see this on Brickshelf or anything.
          > :-)

          Me too.

          > OK, anyways, I'm currently working on expanding my 1930s era street
          > scene, as well as still plugging along on a few historic buildings
          > here in Gettysburg.

          Sweet.

          > In the pipeline is a replica of the USS Monitor, as well... when
          > time, cash and Pick-a-brick cooperate.
          >
          > -John

          Oh that would be way cool.

          Cale