Farewell PennLUG

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2008

      Three years ago this September Cale and I met at a Bob Evans to discuss this grand experiment.  I had decided there should be a PA user group and come hell or high water I was gonna see it happen.  I made up little cards with my contact info on them, put a lame looking logo on them with PENNLUG on them and looked at every name badge at Brickfest and handed them out to PA residents.  The two I met were Mike Tighe and Cale.

      Jim Foulds had tried previously to start a PA group but never seemed to get it off the ground.  I was determined to pick up where he left off.  Mike Tighe was busy with FLL at the time, Cale was interested.  We drank our coffee (well I did, I think Cale had a Shirley Temple :p ) and planned our first announcement of an open house.

      We obtained permission from my church to use thier meeting hall and set up pretty much everything we had.  We sent out press releases, we announced, we got 15 kids and some parents.  Oh well, we were off the ground and running.

      Within a year more had joined and we celebrated PennLUGs first anniversary at Chris's house.

      Sadly I must leave my dearest PennLUG, now at the tender age of 3 yrs old.  Yes the rumors are true and the time is short.  I had to wait till I knew it was happening for sure and I am finally moving to Montana.  (I think I will get a recreational vehicle, a wife and raise rabbits in Montana)  I leave either the 18th or 19th on my cross country trek.  I would have like to been out to the tain show last weekend but my hip was really giving me problems and kept me home :(.

      I, Michael Gibney being of a somewhat sound mind and fiarly still together body do bestow unto Cale Leiphart the honorable title of "Supreme Overlord" of PennLUG.  May he carry her well into the future and if he doesn't I'll send my robot to DESTROY DESTROY.  That is, of course,  whenever I get it finished.

      Will there be a Montana LUG?  of course.  What will it be called? i dunno yet.  Will there ever be another Brickfest?  Will anyone ever find Joe?  Do any PennLUG members ever have on clean underwear?

      I'm deffinately going to miss everyone.  It's been great working with everyone and being witness to some incredible MOCs.

      Some favorite moments:

      Brickfest 7?  DelVaLUG  member wins an award for best something and looks over and gives Cale a "ha ha, look what we got, how many awards has  PennLUg got?"  after which Cale was called up TWICE for awards and sat smugly in his chair.

      The meeting where all kinds of impressive trains and other mocs are present and everyone stops to gawk at Matt Hockers "Aunt Jemima minifig"

      Who can forget Chris Forbes Nicotera's impressive scene of Boathouse row at the Philly NMRA show only to have people completely miss it because there was a sponge Bob on it.

      Matt Krotzers Idea for our event Lego Users GROUPS EXpo:))

      It's been really good and I've enjoyed my time here, but time is short and I must get moving.  I wish I had more time to say proper goodbyes.  If you can stop by Saturday I'll be home all day after 12 noon  it would be great to see you.  If not play well, and continue our quest for world brick domination.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2008
        Mike-
        Thanks for all your work creating PennLUG and for your dedication in
        making sure at least one person shows up to the meetings at your
        house. Best of luck in the cross-country move. Maybe "SkyLUG" would
        work for a name....
        David

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2008
          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "longhairedredneck220" <longhairedredneck220@...> wrote:

          > Three years ago this September Cale and I met at a Bob Evans to discuss
          > this grand experiment.

          All plans for world domination must start somewhere. That place is gone now. We had to eliminate the evidence and cover our tracks. >:)

          > I had decided there should be a PA user group
          > and come hell or high water I was gonna see it happen.

          He was bored.

          > I made up little
          > cards with my contact info on them, put a lame looking logo on them with
          > PENNLUG on them and looked at every name badge at Brickfest and handed
          > them out to PA residents.

          He was really bored.

          > The two I met were Mike Tighe and Cale.

          I remember it well. He came running over to me going "OMG. It's you. This is like so AWESOME!" like some star struck school girl. 8-}

          > Jim Foulds had tried previously to start a PA group but never seemed to
          > get it off the ground. I was determined to pick up where he left off.
          > Mike Tighe was busy with FLL at the time, Cale was interested. We drank
          > our coffee (well I did, I think Cale had a Shirley Temple [:p] )

          I had a Coke you nit wit.

          > and
          > planned our first announcement of an open house.

          By planing he means we decided to do it with no idea how to pull it off and that we would just figure it out later. :D Some things have not changed.

          > We obtained permission from my church to use thier meeting hall and set
          > up pretty much everything we had. We sent out press releases, we
          > announced, we got 15 kids and some parents. Oh well, we were off the
          > ground and running.

          Here are some photos from that first glorious event. Brickshelf Open House Gallery

          > Within a year more had joined and we celebrated PennLUGs first
          > anniversary at Chris's house.

          We did the NMRA National Train Show in Philly that year.

          NMRA Gallery

          And we were invited to our first local show that year as well.

          Euro East Train Show

          > Sadly I must leave my dearest PennLUG, now at the tender age of 3 yrs
          > old. Yes the rumors are true and the time is short. I had to wait till
          > I knew it was happening for sure and I am finally moving to Montana. (I
          > think I will get a recreational vehicle, a wife and raise rabbits in
          > Montana) I leave either the 18th or 19th on my cross country trek. I
          > would have like to been out to the train show last weekend but my hip was
          > really giving me problems and kept me home [:(] .

          He could not stand facing us. :p

          > I, Michael Gibney being of a somewhat sound mind and fairly still
          > together body do bestow unto Cale Leiphart the honorable title of
          > "Supreme Overlord" of PennLUG. May he carry her well into the future
          > and if he doesn't I'll send my robot to DESTROY DESTROY. That is, of
          > course, whenever I get it finished.

          The King is dead. Long live the King!

          > Will there be a Montana LUG? of course. What will it be called? i
          > dunno yet.

          GibneyLUG? :-? Since you're going to be the only LEGO fan in that frozen hell. :p

          > Will there ever be another Brickfest?

          The answer to that one is yes.

          BrickFest 09

          > Will anyone ever find
          > Joe?

          Found him.

          BrickWorld 08

          > Do any PennLUG members ever have on clean underwear?

          I hope so. :-&

          > I'm deffinately going to miss everyone. It's been great working with
          > everyone and being witness to some incredible MOCs.
          >
          > Some favorite moments:
          >
          > Brickfest 7? DelVaLUG member wins an award for best something and
          > looks over and gives Cale a "ha ha, look what we got, how many awards
          > has PennLUg got?" after which Cale was called up TWICE for awards and
          > sat smugly in his chair.
          >
          > The meeting where all kinds of impressive trains and other mocs are
          > present and everyone stops to gawk at Matt Hockers "Aunt Jemima minifig"
          >
          > Who can forget Chris Forbes Nicotera's impressive scene of Boathouse row
          > at the Philly NMRA show only to have people completely miss it because
          > there was a sponge Bob on it.

          NMRA 06

          > Matt Krotzers Idea for our event Lego Users GROUPS EXpo [:))]

          Look closely at that one.

          > It's been really good and I've enjoyed my time here, but time is short
          > and I must get moving. I wish I had more time to say proper goodbyes.
          > If you can stop by Saturday I'll be home all day after 12 noon it would
          > be great to see you. If not play well, and continue our quest for world
          > brick domination.
          >
          > Mike

          So long Mike. It's been a fun ride and we will miss you. :((

          Cale
          I am the very model of a modern Major General.
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2008

> [...]
            and
            > sat smugly in his chair.
            >
            > The meeting where all kinds of impressive trains and other mocs are
            > present and everyone stops to gawk at Matt Hockers "Aunt Jemima
            minifig"

            > Who can forget Chris Forbes Nicotera's impressive scene of Boathouse
            row
            > at the Philly NMRA show only to have people completely miss it because
            > there was a sponge Bob on it.
            >
            > Matt Krotzers Idea for our event Lego Users GROUPS EXpo [:))]
            >
            > It's been really good and I've enjoyed my time here, but time is short
            > and I must get moving. I wish I had more time to say proper goodbyes.
            > If you can stop by Saturday I'll be home all day after 12 noon it
            would
            > be great to see you. If not play well, and continue our quest for

            Farewell Mike. I wish you the best of luck out in Montana, and if
            anybody can start a LUG out in Montana, I'm sure you could be the one.
            Don't forget the propaganda!!