CaveBase Module Template (Top View)

  • leggodt_5150
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008

      Here is a top view of 2 CaveBase Modules and an elevator shaft.  The formatting got a bit wierd when I converted form Excel to jpg.

      I will try to post a cleaner one later.

       CaveBase Module Template (Top View)

      - Dudley

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2008
        For some reason I can't get ANY of the links to templates.  Is it possible to send the files directly to my email address?

        Thanks.

        Michael Tighe

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
          I just built a single CaveBase module in LDraw. Next I am going to
          work on a double, then the ground layer. After that I am going to
          make a mock-up of the layout for the display case.

          Would LDraw be a better format to post in? Does everyone have that
          downloaded?

          Mike T ... let me know what format you want. I have Excel, jpg, and
          LDraw.

          - Dudley

          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...>
          wrote:

          > For some reason I can't get ANY of the links to templates. Is it
          possible
          > to send the files directly to my email address?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Michael Tighe

          Behalf Of
          > leggodt_5150
          > Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 8:13 AM
          > To: Pennlug@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [Pennlug] CaveBase Module Template (Top View)
          >

          > Here is a top view of 2 CaveBase Modules and an elevator shaft.
          The
          > formatting got a bit wierd when I converted form Excel to jpg.
          >
          > I will try to post a cleaner one later.
          >
          > CaveBase Module Template (Top View)
          >
          > - Dudley

        • Phillip Thorne
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
            On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:26, Michael Tighe wrote:
            >For some reason I can't get ANY of the links to templates. Is it possible
            >to send the files directly to my email address?

            Yahoo! Groups URLs are sometimes wonky. Here's an alternate way to
            find them, by manual navigation:

            CaveBase_Module_Template(Top_View).JPG
            CaveBase_SideWall_Template.JPG

            <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YDzeSKxDGQtYTCLw4DTZQb1OmSyutR3KR1Kyc5gFJJELhIoVR6IhHAxtNhtBRnJML1FRZ_dGFeXHTHYq80_AA08b7WXxSZqZBQ/CaveBase_Module_Template%28Top_View%29.JPG>
            <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YDzeSHk0MnNYTCLwzgkn-p8EPyyShbCUNEMQrM7cbVyotPUjgRK9mT7Euog3w-M_HuA29619qdyUGfaP8Qwe7SNviHYutepVnA/CaveBase_SideWall_Template.JPG>

            Dudley: The Files section is meant for non-picture files (Excel, PDF,
            Ldraw, etc.). Pictures (jpegs only) go in the Photos section, which
            has thumbnails and more convenient URLs. (Shorter URLs are less prone
            to breakage by email programs, even if you wrap them in angle
            brackets.) E.g.:

            Store"
            <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pennlug/photos/view/95d6?b=2>

            You might need a free Yahoo! account to reach the Files and Photos
            sections, instead of just the messages. I'm not sure how Open groups
            work -- DelVaLUG's is Private.

            --
            ** DelVaLUG: The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group *****
            ** www.delvalug.com **
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 27, 2008
              -Dudley,

              JPG would probably work best but I could do xls files.  I don't think I have LDraw installed anymore.

              Would you mind sending me ALL the JPG files you've posted so I could see them all.

              Thank you in advance.

              Michael

              "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

            • kreativkc@aol.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                  All I ever get is "page cannot be found" errors.

                  It seems posting the files (to yahoo Groups) isn't working.  However, I think it works if you send to the Yahoo group with attachments.  Do we want to try that?  (Until we get the official PennLUG.com up and can have a public & private side to post things effectively...)

                  In the mean time, can someone please send me the actual JPG files?  (All of them, please.)

                  Thanks.

                  -MDT

                  "LEGO is a medium through which imagination is made manifest."

                  <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Pennlug/ files/> --->

                  <http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Pennlug/ photos/browse/ 95d6> = "LEGO
                  Store"
                  <http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Pennlug/ photos/view/ 95d6?b=2>

                  You might need a free Yahoo! account to reach the Files and Photos
                  sections, instead of just the messages. I'm not sure how Open groups
                  work -- DelVaLUG's is Private.

                  --
                  ** DelVaLUG: The Delaware Valley LEGO Users Group *****
                  ** www.delvalug. com **
                  ** Sent by Phillip Thorne **
                  ** To opt-out, please email pethorne@comcast. net ******

                • leggodt_5150
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                    I sent them to your email address last night. Please confirm you
                    email address so I can try again.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                      I got them from my Yahoo mail.  (Not my main email address so I didn't see them right away...)

                      However, there sere several links and files sent over the past week which I can't see.  Can someone send them to me?

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                        Now that I've seen a picture of the connection between modules on the same level, (thanks Dudley) I question the need for a big wall with a door...

                        We're not building a house or a ship or a MoonBase type thing where the passages between sections would have doorways.  (IMHO)

                        I think it would make more sense to have more open "floor plans" on each level.  Unless one person makes the whole level and, for example, there is a hollow chamber which was just "broken into" in which case there could be a rough opening separating 2 sections of the same level.

                        The elevator area, for example, (I think) should be completely open to the entire section next to it.  We don't need to make airlocks or have doors for privacy between the elevator and the section next to it.

                        That said, I like the Technic pin placements near the four corners connecting modules of the same level.  I just don't think there should be the whole divider wall with the doorway and respective Technic holes to align it...

                        Thoughts or reactions to this?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                          You don't really need the other files. They were works in progress.
                          The ones I sent you are the most updated.

                          I'm glad you finally got them!

                          wrote:

                          > I got them from my Yahoo mail. (Not my main email address so I
                          didn't see
                          > them right away...)
                          >
                          > However, there sere several links and files sent over the past week
                          which I
                          > can't see. Can someone send them to me?
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Michael
                          >

                          > "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

                          Template (Top

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 28, 2008
                            My thought was that each single module would be a small scene, almost
                            like a vignette. I do like the idea of larger modules (double
                            module) and I am planning on using that standard for my Batcave
                            module. I also have (and I think Phil does too) a sketch of a 3
                            module cave shaped like a sideways "L."

                            This standard is opening to interpretation, but I wanted to make is
                            small enough that everyone, including those without all of grey
                            bricks, could do one. In addition I wanted some way to make a
                            standard connection between each module. The best suggestion was a
                            door like opening using brown bricks to simulate the wood frames
                            miners use between large caves.

                            As far as the elevator, can't you just line the elevator car up with
                            the openings? Or you could move the car as far right as possible and
                            make the rest an open area that connects to the corridor.

                            I'll work something up in LDraw and send you the jpg as soon as I am
                            done.

                            As far as it not being similar to MoonBase, I think it is very
                            similar to MoonBase. I`m taking a lot of thing I read and have scene
                            from that project and using it on this one. It's completely
                            intentional. I hope, one day, that this project can be seen as the
                            beginning of a large community project just like the MoonBase project.

                            If you guys want to do it another way, then someone needs to come up
                            with another suggestion fast. Even at the stage we're at now, I
                            think it's going to be tough to get something completed by Friday.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                              Ok .. so after a night's sleep I re-read this ... and it's come off a
                              bit strong ... that was not my intention.

                              I'll post an elevator shaft template later so we can all be on the
                              same page for this project.

                              Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

                              - Dudley

                              --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "leggodt_5150" <mdudley2112@...>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                Mike: I think the idea of a consistent "doorway" ensures that
                                modules can be moved around and are guaranteed to be compatible, as
                                well as allowing for smaller "endcap" parts to be added. However, it
                                would be possible (I think) to build a module that just uses
                                the "doorframe" segment as a stand-alone support structure along an
                                open "wall" line. However, the smaller door area allows for more
                                flexibility for "old-timey" mines, which tend to be perceived as
                                dark, claustrophobic, and dangerous (I guess- I don't spend much
                                time imagining old-timey mine shafts). I think the elevator can be
                                open along its entire length, as long as that length includes the
                                interface between the elevator shaft and the tunnels. Does that make
                                sense?

                                Arthur: Is there any way we can add some kind of file transfer
                                system to our website, like an ftp or something, so we can avoid
                                these file transfer hassles?

                                We are under some time pressure here (at least I am; I plan to
                                install my module at the grand opening).

                                [___surface__]
                                [__5__][__6__][shaft]
                                [__3__][__4__][shaft]
                                [__1__][__2__][shaft]

                                I know Dudley (sections 1-2) and I (any section 3-6) have modules
                                completed or under construction. Mike T., are you doing the elevator
                                shaft? Cale, are you doing the surface section? Snails, are you
                                doing your crystal cave? Phil, are you bringing/scaling up your
                                prototype? Is anyone else working on a module that hasn't said
                                anything?

                                I apologize for being so organized- I know it runs against our LUG
                                philosophy....
                                David

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                  kreativsnail called a left module. She needs 2 solid walls, so she
                                  has either 3 or 5. The right wall of hers will connect to another
                                  module, maybe Dave's.

                                  I need 1 - 2 for the Batcave. This specif module will not be
                                  connected to the elevator ... it's the Batcave ... it's a secret ...
                                  shhhhhh.

                                  I will post pics tonight for the entire layout, including elevator
                                  shaft, so we know what needs to be done.

                                  MikeT: Have you decided on the size for the elevator cart so I can
                                  draw up a moc? Based on Dave's layout your dimensiosn will be:
                                  16w x 24d x 30h + the ground layer (which I never posted those
                                  pics ... DOH!). For you, the ground layer will be 16w x 24d x 5h.

                                  The ground layer for the other modules will be 24w x 24d x 5h.

                                  - Dudley

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                    yes, I am doing a cave with crystals and critters in it. It will have a solid rock wall on the left side, and a rough doorway on the right. It will have alignment holes on the right side to link up with the module next to it. I do not have enough gray tiles for the entire roof, so some of my tiles will be other colors, but they will be hidden by whatever unit is above mine, so mine can not be on top of the mine unless someone has a grass/dirt module to go ontop of it. I will have it completed by Friday.  I might have to wait till Saturday morning to run it over there, not sure, might be able to make it Fri night.  KC "snail"

                                  • leggodt_5150
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                      You could skip half the tiles if needed. Just make sure the
                                      perimeter is grey. For yours, the front, left side and back might
                                      all be visible based on the angle. But you're correct, your right
                                      side tile parts will not be visible.

                                      I'm using black tiles for the center of the tiles section. I think
                                      I'm going to skip every other one so I don't use up all my tiles.

                                      Looking forward to seeing what you create. Can you post pics once it
                                      is done?

                                      - Dudley

                                      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, kreativkc@... wrote:

                                      > yes, I am doing a cave with crystals and critters in it. It will
                                      have a
                                      > solid rock wall on the left side, and a rough doorway on the right.
                                      It will have
                                      > alignment holes on the right side to link up with the module next
                                      to it. I do
                                      > not have enough gray tiles for the entire roof, so some of my tiles
                                      will be
                                      > other colors, but they will be hidden by whatever unit is above
                                      mine, so mine
                                      > can not be on top of the mine unless someone has a grass/dirt
                                      module to go
                                      > ontop of it. I will have it completed by Friday. I might have to
                                      wait till
                                      > Saturday morning to run it over there, not sure, might be able to
                                      make it Fri
                                      > night. KC "snail"
                                      >

                                      > **************Looking for simple solutions to your real-life
                                      financial
                                      > challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and
                                      information, tips and
                                      > calculators. (http://www.walletpop.com/?
                                      NCID=emlcntuswall00000001)

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                        Just so I get this right:  The doorway is to be centered in the adjoining wall, correct?  That would put the edge of the doorway 12 studs from the front edge.  That is to say the opening would begin on the 13th stud from the front, right?

                                        Furthermore, can it be assumed that the "Bat Cave" will be the lowest and therefore the elevator only needs to go down to the level above that?

                                        -MDT

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                          The edge of the doorway is 8 studs from the front, the opening would
                                          begin at 9 and go to 16, and then the wall begins again at 17 and
                                          goes until 24.

                                          Take a look at the left or right side pics.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 29, 2008
                                            Right.  For some reason I was building it 16x32, not 16x24.  Is the display case only 24 deep?  I thought it was deeper...

                                            -MDT

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 30, 2008
                                              I'm not sure how deep the case is, but building 24 studs deep allows
                                              greater parts flexibility (we don't have to use as many) and
                                              prevents the deepest parts of the module from being lost in shadow.
                                              David

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                Excellent. I skipped a bunch of tiles on mine (gray/black/brown/tan
                                                around the edges, red and white and so on in the middle), so I'm
                                                done except for a possible redo of my spaceship and
                                                accessorizing/staffing of the module.

                                                I haven't heard anything on the other modules... anyone building
                                                one? What about the oh-so-critical surface...?

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                  Phil suggested 24 deep because he too thought that the details would
                                                  get lost that far back without any lighting.

                                                  So the dimensions are:
                                                  24 wide x 24 deep x 10 high

                                                • Phillip Thorne
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 30, 2008
                                                    --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "leggodt_5150" (Dudley) wrote:
                                                    > Phil suggested 24 deep because he too thought that the details would
                                                    > get lost that far back without any lighting.
                                                    > So the dimensions are:
                                                    > 24 wide x 24 deep x 10 high

                                                    With 8 bricks of solid, 8 bricks of aperture-void, then 8 more of
                                                    solid.

                                                    The case is about 48 studs deep (I sized it with baseplates when I was
                                                    at the store). It *does* have fluorescent tubes mounted on the two
                                                    vertical edges of the bezel, so a deeper module *might* work. (Still
                                                    needs its apertures at the standard location.) Somebody can try one
                                                    and find out for later, but don't put the critical scenery way back in
                                                    the recesses.

                                                    If the surface-section (whoever does it) is deeper than 24 studs, it
                                                    may need support at its rear corners. Stacked Duplo bricks would be
                                                    easiest, I expect. Or diagonal struts pressing against the back wall
                                                    of the modules beneath it.

                                                    (How much UV does a fluorescent tube emit? Enough to trigger a GITD
                                                    part that's otherwise in shadow? Wait, that doesn't make sense. If
                                                    it's in vis-light shadow it's in UV-shadow too.)