Re: Lego Train Layout for Pennsylvania Railroad Days

    Message 1 of 27 , May 12, 2007
      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hocker" <jpark203@...> wrote:

      > [:D] Sorry. I like the layout as it stands. But I told you wrong
      > about the Japanese house. It's actually 2x3 base plates, still pretty
      > big. The church and civil war thing fit in more with Pennsylvania, so
      > it's no big dealy. Also, by the time the show hits, i might only have
      > enough modular town buildings to occupy 2 baseplates. There are 3
      > buildings, 2 of which are each on a 1/2 plate.

      If the house base plates can be clipped in the corner by the trolley tracks this layout may work.

      Revised Layout

      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "longhairedredneck220" <longhairedredneck220@...> wrote:

      > Sorry Cale, been swamped

      Me too.

      >, but that's an excellent layout.  Compact and
      > able to show lots of lego buildings and features as well as a good train
      > yard to showcase all those silly trains you guys babble on about :P
      >
      > ****sigh*** maybe someday I'll be able to hook myself up with some
      > trains.

      Once you finish your robot you can send him to steal all the other clubs trains. >:)

      > Do we know how we might be set up?  against a wall or will we be open
      > all all sides?  If we know I can work on getting the appropriate
      > stancions made.

      Open on all sides.

      > Also, it's a "train Day"  Do we want maybe a table or so with the duplo?
      > I think I know a guy with a crap load of duplo track here somewhere :)
      > OR better to just dedicate to penn trains?

      The museum already has a small duplo layout in Stewart Junction that kids can play with. So us having Duplo may be redundant. But it's a good idea for any non musseum shows we may do in the future.

      > Mike
      > "I'm proud of the fact I'm Irish and the Irish National Anthem is
      > actually an old drinking song"
      > http://youtube.com/watch?v=_OyX3DHYtkY
      > <http://youtube.com/watch?v=_OyX3DHYtkY>

      Here are some better clips on Irish heritage.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWvBPar4SQ

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-yRYlQyrQI&mode=related&search=

      Cale
      The Train say MOOOO!

      Message 2 of 27 , May 13, 2007

        > Here are some better clips on Irish heritage.

        Oh please, you guys think all we Irish do is drink, well here's proof

        http://www.hvw8.com/photos/nyc_03/images/Gibney's.jpg

        Message 3 of 27 , May 14, 2007

          > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hocker" <jpark203@> wrote:
          >
          > > [:D] Sorry. I like the layout as it stands. But I told you wrong
          > > about the Japanese house. It's actually 2x3 base plates, still pretty
          > > big. The church and civil war thing fit in more with Pennsylvania, so
          > > it's no big dealy. Also, by the time the show hits, i might only have
          > > enough modular town buildings to occupy 2 baseplates. There are 3
          > > buildings, 2 of which are each on a 1/2 plate.
          > >

          > If the house base plates can be clipped in the corner by the trolley
          > tracks this layout may work.
          >
          > Revised Layout
          > <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pennlug/photos/view/1f8d?b=27&m=f&o=0>

          I just checked, and that should work.

          Matt
          Message 4 of 27 , May 14, 2007
            --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hocker" <jpark203@...> wrote:

            > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Cale Leiphart"
            > <steampoweredbricks@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Hocker" <jpark203@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > [:D] Sorry. I like the layout as it stands. But I told you
            wrong
            > > > about the Japanese house. It's actually 2x3 base plates, still
            pretty
            > > > big. The church and civil war thing fit in more with
            Pennsylvania, so
            > > > it's no big dealy. Also, by the time the show hits, i might
            only have
            > > > enough modular town buildings to occupy 2 baseplates. There are 3
            > > > buildings, 2 of which are each on a 1/2 plate.
            > > >

            > > If the house base plates can be clipped in the corner by the trolley
            > > tracks this layout may work.
            > >
            > > Revised Layout

            > I just checked, and that should work.
            >
            > Matt

            Excellent!

            Message 5 of 27 , May 17, 2007
              This Saturday, May 19th, is normally the day we have our meeting.  Will there be a meeting?

              This Sunday, the 20th, is the last day of the LEGO display at the Lancaster Museum of Art.  The museum is in the Grubb Mansion, on the grounds of Musser park, located on North Lime Street.  The LEGO sculptures fill 2 large rooms on the first floor of the mansion.  I took my son to see the LEGO display and it is well worth the time to see it.

              I suggest we go to the museum if we have a meeting this weekend.  You can walk through and see everything in a few minutes.  But we could spend an hour to 90 minutes ogling and drooling over everything.

              Afterwards we could stop at a pub for refreshments and discussions.

              Or…  We could go to the Strasburg Railroad Museum.  We have been talking about it for several meetings and we need to get there sooner or later.  Since Strasburg is somewhat out of the way for most members it would make sense to go there while we're "in the neighborhood".

              Can someone call the railroad museum and tell them we may be stopping by this weekend so they will be expecting us?

              Then we could go to a pub…

              However, going to both would probably extend the time we normally spend for most meetings.

              I'm up for both (and the pub)  and I'm willing to drive.  I can seat 7, including myself.

              Opinions?  Other suggestions?

              Message 6 of 27 , May 17, 2007
                I'vre been busy with gettingready for my siters wedding and business
                and job, i forgot about the meeting (shame on me)

                I 'm available on Sunday afternoon myself, the pub and museum idea
                sounds good.

                although Saturday I need to go to the WWII encampment at the Lancaster
                historical society on saturday, so I could meet up with others that day
                as well
                Message 7 of 27 , May 18, 2007

                  > I'vre been busy with gettingready for my siters wedding and business
                  > and job, i forgot about the meeting (shame on me)
                  >
                  > I 'm available on Sunday afternoon myself, the pub and museum idea
                  > sounds good.
                  >
                  > although Saturday I need to go to the WWII encampment at the Lancaster
                  > historical society on saturday, so I could meet up with others that day
                  > as well

                  I'm available either day if anyone is still interested.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 23, 2007
                    About Brickworld:

                    I am definitely going.  I have paid for my registrations and reserved a non-smoking room with 2 queen beds.  I will be leaving early Thursday morning around 8am. and leaving either Sunday evening after the last event and tear-down or Monday morning to get a good night's sleep before driving.  That's 3 or 4 nights stay at $115/night (plus 11.5% taxes, etc.)

                    Cale mentioned something about going along.  I might be able to also take someone else.  These are the terms I'm considering, but I'm open to any reasonable suggestion:
                    All travel and accommodations costs (assuming we share the room) split evenly on a per person basis.  Meaning that If Cale goes that makes 3 people or 3 shares.  I will be responsible for my son's share.

                    Projected costs (estimating high)
                    Gas (@1,500 miles/100Gal)          $300
                    Room: 3 nights                                 $385
                                                                                $685

                    Each Share                                        $230

                    4th night                                             $129
                    Each Share                                          $43

                    A 4th person would reduce the price of each share.

                    I'm planning on taking snacks and drinks to save some money but there will still be food expenses.  We'll no doubt need to buy some meals.

                    The Outlets:  I plan on going to 1, 2 or perhaps even all 3 outlets.  I'm willing to make purchases for other club members who aren't going.  If interested please let me know what set(s) you want.  If you want specific pieces from PaB that's fine too.  If you're looking for items from venders I'll need to know what your price range is.  Contact numbers, especially cell phones, would be most helpful to confirm prices or sets.  I will need the money up front and a PRINTED list.  This list should include set numbers, set names, piece descriptions with pictures price ranges for vender type items and contact numbers/times.

                    I'm also willing to take a few MOCs to display if anyone wants to show off in absentia.

                    Judging by current registration there should be well over 200 people there.  I'm really looking forward to old friends, meeting new ones and taking lots of pictures.  I'd like to suggest now that the July meeting should have a Brickworld theme.  I may even be able to host it at my home.

                    Anyone interested in going or requesting purchases please let me know.

                    Michael

                    "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 24, 2007
                      Yopu make that very fair mike, i may even consider going, I'm off to
                      my sisters wedding so I won't be around till Tues after memorial dAy.

                      Everyone say a big thank you to Chris who keeps our country safe
                      with,,,,,,,,,,well he,,,,,,,,,well he does something i guess :P

                      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...>
                      wrote:

                      > About Brickworld:
                      >
                      > I am definitely going. I have paid for my registrations and
                      reserved a
                      > non-smoking room with 2 queen beds. I will be leaving early
                      Thursday
                      > morning around 8am. and leaving either Sunday evening after the
                      last event
                      > and tear-down or Monday morning to get a good night's sleep before
                      driving.
                      > That's 3 or 4 nights stay at $115/night (plus 11.5% taxes, etc.)
                      >
                      > Cale mentioned something about going along. I might be able to
                      also take
                      > someone else. These are the terms I'm considering, but I'm open
                      to any
                      > reasonable suggestion:
                      > All travel and accommodations costs (assuming we share the room)
                      split
                      > evenly on a per person basis. Meaning that If Cale goes that
                      makes 3 people
                      > or 3 shares. I will be responsible for my son's share.
                      >
                      > Projected costs (estimating high)
                      > Gas (@1,500 miles/100Gal) $300
                      > Room: 3 nights $385

                      $685

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 24, 2007
                        I'm definitely on board. I'd like to take a few train MOCs along. They
                        shouldn't take up too much room. The July meeting sounds like a great
                        idea.

                        Cale

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                          Greetings,

                          My appolgies for not posting anything sooner.  I've been rather busy with projects from household management...

                          As Cale mentioned previously he will traveling to Brickworld with me.  Furthermore, I will have room for at least one more passenger.

                          It takes about 11 hours to drive to Chicago.  My plan, and Cale is in agreement, is to leave on Wednesday, June 18th before 8:00am (ish), from my house in Camp Hill.  The event has activities scheduled on Thursday June 19th through Sunday, June 22nd.  We will be returning on Monday June 23rd, leaving around 9:00am (ish).  We will probably get back to Camp Hill around 9:00pm.

                          I have already reserved a room (2 queen beds) for the 5 nights with a total cost (with taxes & fees, etc) around $650.  Last year all costs were split evenly.  So far that means a 3-way split.  (Cale, My son and me.)  Another passenger will make it a 4-way split.

                          Its about 600 miles to Chicago.  I'm guessing about 90+ gallons of gasboth ways.  Figuring about $4.00/gallon It will probably cost $350 for gas round trip.  Plus tolls.  That will make for a total of about $1,100 for the entire trip.

                          Therefore a 3-way split will cost about $370 each.  A 4-way split will cost about $275 each.

                          There are more details but I'd rather talk about them in person or at least over the phone (a 3-way call can be done if someone else want to go along.

                          I have a guest room with 2 single beds if passenger(s) want to come up the night before.