Museum visit, take II

  • Chris Forbes-Nicotera
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1 10:55 AM
      as stated, a good time was had by all, lots of building sorting and
      gratuitous brick appreciation in addition to room and board. but more
      help is still needed...

      so....

      when are we going back (or for the first time for those of us
      planning weddings and oblivious of family birthdays)?

      may is OUT for me! way too full:(

      Weekends of june 1,2,3 22,23,24 or 29, 30 1st of july are good for
      me. these are void of any plans, birthdays, anniversaries, or
      scheduled 3rd world takeovers that i'm aware of.

      southwest airlines had a 'ding' special of $25 one way, plus tax and
      fees which is usually like $15. dan said he was willing to comp, but
      this still has us getting to whichever airports available, dealing
      with check in/delay bs, and taking shuttle from columbus to bellair.
      that said, driving may still be most advantageous. plus homeland
      security may object to hocker stowing a lego ho vehicle in an
      inconspicuous orifice:P

      so there are the dates that are good for me. we want to help get him
      ready for an opening in july, so the latest is my least favorable
      choice. i'd love to see us build lots of mocs, clean up, and get out
      of the state before the stampede arrives!

      chris
      -lord of the flame thrower

      p.s. we also had a parts draw in the hotel, mike snores, and i'm NOT
      sleeping on the floor again! and there is an indoor pool and hottub:)
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1 8:08 PM
        --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Forbes-Nicotera"
        <legolover530@...> wrote:

        > as stated, a good time was had by all, lots of building sorting
        and
        > gratuitous brick appreciation in addition to room and board. but
        more
        > help is still needed...
        >
        > so....
        >
        > when are we going back (or for the first time for those of us
        > planning weddings and oblivious of family birthdays)?
        >
        > may is OUT for me! way too full:(
        >
        > Weekends of june 1,2,3 22,23,24 or 29, 30 1st of july are good for
        > me. these are void of any plans, birthdays, anniversaries, or
        > scheduled 3rd world takeovers that i'm aware of.
        >
        > southwest airlines had a 'ding' special of $25 one way, plus tax
        and
        > fees which is usually like $15. dan said he was willing to comp,
        but
        > this still has us getting to whichever airports available, dealing
        > with check in/delay bs, and taking shuttle from columbus to
        bellair.
        > that said, driving may still be most advantageous. plus homeland
        > security may object to hocker stowing a lego ho vehicle in an
        > inconspicuous orifice:P
        >
        > so there are the dates that are good for me. we want to help get
        him
        > ready for an opening in july, so the latest is my least favorable
        > choice. i'd love to see us build lots of mocs, clean up, and get
        out
        > of the state before the stampede arrives!
        >
        > chris
        > -lord of the flame thrower
        >
        > p.s. we also had a parts draw in the hotel, mike snores,I SAID I
        WAS SORRY!!!!! and i'm NOT

        Message 3 of 19 , May 2 4:58 AM
          I had the thought last night that perhaps it would be better to
          plan/design MOCs before our next trip. That way we can start
          building as soon as we arrive without screwing around with thinking.
          Those of us who have been have a pretty good idea about what things
          would fit with the displays.

          > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Forbes-Nicotera"
          > <legolover530@> wrote:
          > >
          > > as stated, a good time was had by all, lots of building sorting
          > and
          > > gratuitous brick appreciation in addition to room and board. but
          > more
          > > help is still needed...
          > >
          > > so....
          > >
          > > when are we going back (or for the first time for those of us
          > > planning weddings and oblivious of family birthdays)?
          > >
          > > may is OUT for me! way too full:(
          > >
          > > Weekends of june 1,2,3 22,23,24 or 29, 30 1st of july are good
          for
          > > me. these are void of any plans, birthdays, anniversaries, or
          > > scheduled 3rd world takeovers that i'm aware of.
          > >
          > > southwest airlines had a 'ding' special of $25 one way, plus tax
          > and
          > > fees which is usually like $15. dan said he was willing to comp,
          > but
          > > this still has us getting to whichever airports available,
          dealing
          > > with check in/delay bs, and taking shuttle from columbus to
          > bellair.
          > > that said, driving may still be most advantageous. plus homeland
          > > security may object to hocker stowing a lego ho vehicle in an
          > > inconspicuous orifice:P
          > >
          > > so there are the dates that are good for me. we want to help get
          > him
          > > ready for an opening in july, so the latest is my least
          favorable
          > > choice. i'd love to see us build lots of mocs, clean up, and
          get
          > out
          > > of the state before the stampede arrives!
          > >
          > > chris
          > > -lord of the flame thrower
          > >
          > > p.s. we also had a parts draw in the hotel, mike snores,I SAID I
          > WAS SORRY!!!!! and i'm NOT
          > > sleeping on the floor again! and there is an indoor pool and
          > hottub:)

        • Chris Forbes-Nicotera
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2 9:03 AM
            okay! after rechecking my calendar, the prime weekend for me is the
            22,23,24th. as i mentioned, i think the drive is the best bet as long
            as we get on the road earlier. we could do the tour friday night, and
            start building in the morning, clean up on sunday.

            as for planning, there is room for anything and everything. there are
            basically unlimiited bricks, but loose bricks don't make for ooh and
            ahh displays unless its a tackle box of chrome macaraoni and silver
            2x4's.

            there's a train room which could use more trains and small structures

            there's a western room that needs large motif mocs (barrels, crates
            cactus,)

            there's a room for coltc with mostly train and buildings, but that
            THEIR room, so we should focus on other parts

            there's a scifi room which needs lots of love and mocs

            who can do the weekend of the 22,23, & 24?

            this is the best weekend for me and i think we can really get this
            place going if we can get our heads out of our 'sorting bins', make a
            decision and STICK to it. i don't really have a free weekend for a
            may meetin unless you want to come down to philly ($17-21 one way
            amtrak), otherwise, rant without me and enjoy.

            krotzer, when's the wedding? a weekend in romantic bellair would make
            a lovely and cheap honey moon! LOTS of MEDIUM BLUE and tons of cool
            harry potter pieces:)

            -chris
            can you build the love tonight?
            Message 5 of 19 , May 2 5:47 PM
              June 21st-24th is BkickWorld weekend. Which Dan is attending. So that
              probably wont work.

              https://registration.brickworld.us/?m=home

              Unless you were planing your usual chaos. :)

              Cale

              Message 6 of 19 , May 3 5:12 AM
                I've been thinking about giving Dan some feedback after our visit-
                suggested changes, etc., maybe sending him a letter. Mike, Chris,
                any thoughts on that?

                Message 7 of 19 , May 6 7:29 PM
                  --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

                  > I've been thinking about giving Dan some feedback after our visit-
                  > suggested changes, etc., maybe sending him a letter. Mike, Chris,
                  > any thoughts on that?

                  I agree Dave, I've been thinking along the same lines. I've already
                  got a list.

                  1. Light needs in but eyesore building need blocked. Cover windows
                  and leave glass block untouched or have a PROFFESIONAL tint with
                  heavy colored tint. Diff colors for diff rooms. Orange to simulate
                  sunset iin western room, blue in aqua room, green in dino room etc

                  2. Rooms need painted to match theme. Maybe murals, or at least
                  put up posters (IN FRAMES!) that coincide with theme.

                  3. Each rooms entrance needs a sign!

                  4. The sorting room. Make this a featured room. bins and
                  containers NEATLY arranged and set about. All that lego sorted and
                  more coming in, would make anyone's eyes pop. and they get to see
                  where lot of the building happens :behind the scenes" sorta

                  5. All those lockers. What are they really doing? sell off a
                  bunch to finance the project. keep some for sorting room for
                  builders maybe some for display posiblities. Would give extra space
                  in the halls for big models.

                  6. Got a rooma mess and not ready. Maxi figs with brooms around
                  mess and voila instant "excuse our mess as we continue to build" (i
                  think this was something chris brought up.

                  7. with time of the ssence maybe consider opeing just basement and
                  first floor. Gives more time to dedicate to first two floors and
                  easier to get ready to open. Would also give visiotrs a reason to
                  come back to see the rest.

                  8. While a COLTC room is good, a room dedicated more to the hobby
                  in general is good too! info on clubs and events all over the world
                  would be really interesting

                  9. Bathroom Plexiglass over top and front of one stall. They open
                  the stall to find a maxi fig on the throne. Cheap easy to do and I
                  guarantee people will talk about it long after they've left

                  10. Lego light boxes would be great in hallways and stairwells

                  11. I myself (MIKE) have a lot of construction expereicne. Had I
                  known how much would need done I would have brought tools to help
                  get things in order.

                  12. Image is a lot. Make a good first impression. Weed lkill then
                  burn off with a propane weed torch all the weeds in the parking
                  lot. Get some cheap sealer for the blacktop and the front will look
                  100% better. People won't notice much else outside. I can paint,
                  do masonry repair, organize constructiuon work, carpentry, tile
                  work, roof repair, and a lot more. Use me Dan,, I can build lego,
                  but I could do a lot more for you with tools in my hand and a clear
                  plan. It wouldn't hurt if I had some good materials to work with as
                  well

                  13. Get to the Hardware store and buy some 2mil plastic,, a
                  BIIIIIIIIG roll of it. Clean off those models and diplay pieces and
                  COVER THEM!!!!!!!!! Don't uncover until the night before opening
                  day, Save yourself some time!

                  14. We looked around and what we saw was a lot of unfinished
                  stuff. items in the hall half put together, in dissarray. a lot of
                  junk in the way. decide where it goes and tell us and we'll put it
                  where it goes.

                  15. Need a dumpster there. right outside the front door for us to
                  throw all that trash away! getting a majority of that stuff out of
                  the way would be a huge help.

                  I could maybe have more,,no i'm sure of it., but that'll do for now
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 7 5:37 AM
                    My suggestions:

                    16. While COLTC and Lego Rick rooms are both active
                    construction/display rooms, the current sorting room could be
                    changed into a "Builder's Workshop." Along the lines of your
                    suggestion, the theme of that room could be the ongoing changes and
                    development of the museum, with incoming parts, sorting, and in-
                    progress construction on display.

                    17. I'm a librarian by training. To establish credibility as a
                    museum, it would be a good idea to catalog and describe the
                    exhibits. While it's great to have a "pneumatic-activated Lego
                    band," it'd be much more professional to have a "pneumatic-activated
                    Lego band, built in 19xx and formerly displayed at Legoland Denmark
                    as part of a promotion for the 19xx product line. You can see the
                    parts from some of these products featured in the.... This piece was
                    purchased from TLG for $xxxxxx." I can do some of that if I have the
                    raw information.

                    18. Make a map- it could be just a rough diagram on a chalkboard-
                    and put it in the main hallway. This will help visitors and
                    volunteers get a feel for the place.

                    19. Constrain the themes from universes to galaxies. So you've got
                    a "Western" room. Do you have stock Western sets to display
                    alongside the sculptures? Do you need MOCs to fit in with stock sets
                    or sculptures? Does "Jurassic Park" need a backdrop or a foreground
                    MOC? Does it try to replicate the movie park or reinterpret it?
                    Decide what's actually needed (building-wise) and make a list for
                    each room.

                    20. Make a master timeline from now until opening, along with "task
                    lists" denoting all the things that need to be done in each area. I
                    have moderate experience with project management; I can handle this
                    with input from Dan.

                    21. Tackle the facility/environmental issues first: plumbing,
                    wiring, paint, walls, floors, handicap access, restrooms (men,
                    women, family/unisex/handicap), cleaning. Clean MOCs in dirty room =
                    dirty MOCs.

                    Yup- that's my bit.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 7 7:46 PM

                      --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

                      > My suggestions:
                      >
                      > 16. While COLTC and Lego Rick rooms are both active
                      > construction/display rooms, the current sorting room could be
                      > changed into a "Builder's Workshop." Along the lines of your
                      > suggestion, the theme of that room could be the ongoing changes and
                      > development of the museum, with incoming parts, sorting, and in-
                      > progress construction on display.maybe some oompa loompas working in there,,lol
                      >
                      > 17. I'm a librarian by training. To establish credibility as a
                      > museum, it would be a good idea to catalog and describe the
                      > exhibits. While it's great to have a "pneumatic-activated Lego
                      > band," it'd be much more professional to have a "pneumatic-activated
                      > Lego band, built in 19xx and formerly displayed at Legoland Denmark
                      > as part of a promotion for the 19xx product line. You can see the
                      > parts from some of these products featured in the.... This piece was
                      > purchased from TLG for $xxxxxx." I can do some of that if I have the
                      > raw information.Yes! I agree! that makes the museum much more interesting and tends to eliminate questions someone can't answer
                      >
                      > 18. Make a map- it could be just a rough diagram on a chalkboard-
                      > and put it in the main hallway. This will help visitors and
                      > volunteers get a feel for the place.  Ohhhh,, Dave a man after my own "company safety guy" heart.  I haven't even started on the whole safety issues thing with that place
                      >
                      > 19. Constrain the themes from universes to galaxies. So you've got
                      > a "Western" room. Do you have stock Western sets to display
                      > alongside the sculptures? Do you need MOCs to fit in with stock sets
                      > or sculptures? Does "Jurassic Park" need a backdrop or a foreground
                      > MOC? Does it try to replicate the movie park or reinterpret it?
                      > Decide what's actually needed (building-wise) and make a list for
                      > each room. Don't confuse the issue with facts!  a clear cut plan,,ingenious,,it just might work!
                      >
                      > 20. Make a master timeline from now until opening, along with "task
                      > lists" denoting all the things that need to be done in each area. I
                      > have moderate experience with project management; I can handle this
                      > with input from Dan.  Amen brother!
                      >
                      > 21. Tackle the facility/environmental issues first: plumbing,
                      > wiring, paint, walls, floors, handicap access, restrooms (men,
                      > women, family/unisex/handicap), cleaning. Clean MOCs in dirty room =
                      > dirty MOCs.  Enviormental issues should have been takled first, with all mocs going into 2-3 rooms until rooms done and clean and ready to stock
                      >
                      > Yup- that's my bit.

                      And a good bit it was!

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 8 6:24 AM
                        Any other ideas? Should we draft this up into a real letter and send
                        it to Dan?

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 8 7:56 PM
                          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

                          > Any other ideas? Should we draft this up into a real letter and
                          send
                          > it to Dan?

                          yes, i think so, We need to make sure he understands that we're not
                          putting him down, but extremely interested in seeing this succeed

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 9 5:32 AM
                            Ok- I guess I'll take a first swipe at it and then post it (unless
                            there's a more appropriate place to put it).

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 9 5:51 PM
                              --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@...> wrote:

                              > Ok- I guess I'll take a first swipe at it and then post it (unless
                              > there's a more appropriate place to put it).

                              Sounds Good to me
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 10 7:39 AM
                                Ok, here's what I've got so far. Any other suggestions, comments, or
                                whatever- just let me know.

                                Dan-
                                After our visit to the museum, we've been thinking of different ways
                                we could help get things ready. We're very interested in seeing the
                                Toy Museum- and you- succeed, but we noticed several obstacles that
                                might be in the way of that success. The three of us (and the rest
                                of PennLUG) are eager to do what we can to help out. We hope that
                                this list will inspire rather than discourage you- this museum is an
                                incredible undertaking and we want to cheer you on. Please let us
                                know if there's anything more we can do or if you have any questions.
                                Mike, Chris, and David

                                1. Tackle the facility/environmental issues first: plumbing, wiring,
                                paint, walls, floors, handicap access, restrooms (men, women,
                                family/unisex/handicap), cleaning. Clean MOCs in dirty room quickly
                                become dirty MOCs.

                                2. Get to the hardware store and buy some 2mil plastic, a BIG roll
                                of it. Clean off those models and display pieces and COVER THEM!
                                Don't uncover until the night before opening day- save yourself some
                                time!

                                3. Image is a lot. Make a good first impression, even before the
                                museum opens. Weed kill, then burn off with a propane torch all the
                                weeds in the parking lot. Get some cheap sealer for the blacktop and
                                the front will look 100% better. People won't notice much else
                                outside. Mike can paint, do masonry repair, organize construction
                                work, carpentry, tile work, roof repair, and a lot more. "Use me
                                Dan, I can build Lego, but I could do a lot more for you with tools
                                in my hand and a clear plan. It wouldn't hurt if I had some good
                                materials to work with as well."

                                4. Mike has a lot of construction experience. Had he known how much
                                would need to be done he would have brought tools to help get things
                                in order.

                                5. Need a dumpster right outside the front door for us to throw all
                                that trash away! Getting a majority of that stuff out of the way
                                would be a huge help. Also, a dumpster outside communicates progress
                                ("we're doing so much work we need to throw stuff away!").

                                6. Make a master timeline from now until opening, along with "task
                                lists" denoting all the things that need to be done in each area.
                                David has moderate experience with project management; he can handle
                                this
                                with input from Dan.

                                7. Constrain the themes from universes to galaxies. So you've got
                                a "Western" room. Do you have stock Western sets to display
                                alongside the sculptures? Do you need MOCs to fit in with stock sets
                                or sculptures? Does "Jurassic Park" need a backdrop or a foreground
                                MOC? Does it try to replicate the movie park or reinterpret it?
                                Decide what's actually needed (building-wise) and make a list for
                                each room.

                                8. The rooms need natural light but the view of the ramshackle
                                buildings in the neighborhood needs to be blocked. Cover the windows
                                and leave glass block untouched or have a professional tint with
                                heavy colored tint. Use different colors for different rooms: Orange
                                to simulate sunset in western room, teal/blue in the aqua room,
                                green in the dino room, etc.

                                9. Rooms need to be painted to match theme. Maybe murals, or at
                                least put up posters (IN FRAMES!) that coincide with theme.

                                10. All those lockers- what are they really doing? Sell off a bunch
                                to finance the project. Keep some for the sorting room for builders,
                                maybe some for display possibilities. It would also give extra space
                                in the halls for big models.

                                11. Got a room, a mess and not ready? Put maxi figs with brooms
                                around the mess and voila instant "excuse our mess as we continue to
                                build." (This was something Chris brought up.)

                                12. With time of the essence, maybe consider opening just the
                                basement and first floor. It gives more time to dedicate to the
                                first two floors and makes it easier to get ready to open. It would
                                also give visitors a reason to come back to see the rest.

                                13. While a COLTC room is good, a room dedicated more to the hobby
                                in general is good too! Info on clubs, LUGs, AFOLs, LTCs, and events
                                all over the world would be really interesting.

                                14. Make the sorting room a featured room. Bins and containers
                                NEATLY arranged and set about. All that Lego sorted, and with more
                                coming in, would make anyone's eyes pop. And they get to see where
                                lots of the building happens, sort of a "behind the scenes"
                                experience. While the COLTC and Lego Rick rooms are both active
                                construction/display rooms, the current sorting room could be
                                changed into a "Builder's Workshop." The "theme" of that room could
                                be the ongoing changes and development of the museum, with incoming
                                parts, sorting, and in-progress construction on display.

                                15. Bathroom: Plexiglas over the top and front of one stall. They
                                open the stall to find a maxi fig on the throne. Cheap, easy to do,
                                and I guarantee people will talk about it long after they've left.

                                16. Lego light boxes would be great in hallways and stairwells.

                                17. Make a map- it could be just a rough diagram on cardboard or a
                                surplus chalkboard- and put it in the main hallway. This will help
                                visitors and volunteers get a feel for the place while it's under
                                construction.

                                18. Each room's entrance needs a sign!

                                19. We looked around and what we saw was a lot of unfinished stuff:
                                items in the hall half put together, in disarray, a lot of junk in
                                the way. Decide where it goes and tell us and we'll put it there.

                                20. David is a librarian by training. To establish credibility as a
                                museum, it would be a good idea to catalog (both for visitor use and
                                yours) and describe the exhibits. While it's great to have
                                a "pneumatic-activated Lego band," it'd be much more professional to
                                have a "pneumatic-activated Lego band, built in 19xx and formerly
                                displayed at Legoland Denmark as part of a promotion for the 19xx
                                product line. You can see the parts from some of these products
                                featured in the.... This piece was purchased from TLG for $xxxxxx."
                                David can do some of that if he has the raw information. Know your
                                pieces' pedigree!

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 12 2:47 PM

                                  Excellent Dave!    Go with it!

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 15 5:11 AM
                                    Ok. Could I have his e-mail address again?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 16 4:01 PM
                                      -

                                      toymuseum@...

                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 16 7:13 PM
                                        Somebody (Mike) should talk to Dan by phone (to pick up on tone of voice) to gage just how open he is to suggestions.  Otherwise you risk alienating him.  (No matter how well intentioned, some people just don't want to hear how things could be done better...)

                                        By the way, I will have opportunity to talk to him at Brickworld.

                                        Michael

                                        "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 17 4:59 AM
                                          I sent it to the address I had (drbconsulting) a couple days ago but
                                          haven't heard anything back yet.

                                          --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Tighe" <mike.tighe@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Somebody (Mike) should talk to Dan by phone (to pick up on tone of
                                          voice) to
                                          > gage just how open he is to suggestions. Otherwise you risk
                                          alienating him.
                                          > (No matter how well intentioned, some people just don't want to
                                          hear how
                                          > things could be done better...)
                                          >
                                          > By the way, I will have opportunity to talk to him at Brickworld.
                                          >
                                          > Michael
                                          >

                                          > "There's no such thing as too much LEGO"

                                          Behalf Of