Re: Stewart Junction Meeting Notes

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2007

> [...]
      > layout sits lower and will allow kids to build and add their creations
      > to the display with a single loop of track for kids to run trains they
      > build.
      >
      > What we can do to help with the layout
      >
      > Every thing on the layout is built by Patrick and Troy. While they do
      > have some good stuff they aren't dedicated AFOL's and could definitely
      > use our expertise. Most of their stuff uses more basic building
      > techniques and the layout has a somewhat busy chaotic look. The good
      > news is they don't seem married to what is currently built and they're
      > open to changing things around and improving. So what can we do.
      >
      > ..Building MOCs with their brick.
      >
      > They have a supply of bricks and parts that they use to build. Anyone
      > who wants to volunteer is welcome to come and help build with what they
      > have available. If your interested you can contact Pattick Morrison at
      > pmorrison@... or Troy Grubb at trgrubb@... . Let them
      > know your with PennLUG and interested in helping with the Lego train
      > display.
      >
      > ..Loaning MOCs for the display.
      >
      > We can loan out MOCs from our collections to be used on the display. As
      > stated previously the main layout will be surrounded by plexiglass and
      > there are museum personel around to keep an eye on things so they should
      > be fairly safe. Again you can contact Patrick or Troy for more info.
      >
      > ..PennLUG display section on the layout
      >
      > PennLUG could set up a group display on a section of the layout. This
      > would be a section (4x3 Green 32 stud baseplates for example) that the
      > club could use to create a collaborative display that could be changed
      > every few months similar to the Window on the Community
      > <http://news.lugnet.com/events/?n=2029> program.
      >
      > Other opportunities to help the museum.
      >
      > In addition to helping with the layout we talked about some other
      > opportunities to get involved at the museum.
      >
      > ..Setting up our own Lego Train display for special events at the
      > museum.
      >
      > PennLUG would be welcome to display our own layout at the Museum. Two
      > good event for this would be Pennsy Days
      > <http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/visitors/seasonal/prr/pennsydays.htm> June
      > 1st through June 3rd and Model Railroading Days October 13 & 14. We may
      > also be able to use one of the store fronts in the Street Scene Exhibit
      > <http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/whatsnew/streetscene/index.htm> to put up a
      > more long term layout.
      >
      > ..Barons & Builders Day Camp
      >
      > Every year the museum hosts a Barons and Builders Day Camp
      > <http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/visitors/seasonal/kids/daycamp/index.htm>
      > for kids to come and explore the world of railroading. Part of that
      > involves a 1 to 2 hour program where the kids learn to build their own
      > Lego train. Any one is welcome to volunteer to help out. The dates are
      > July 16th to 20th and July 30th to August 3rd.
      >
      > Any questions? Have any thing to add Mike?
      >
      > We can also discus things at our next meeting.

      Sounds like a cool idea. I don't know if I'd be able to make it down
      in March, but summer sounds alright. A Christmas layout perhaps? By
      the way, I'd be afraid to see your 8 wide trains going over those
      trestles. lol
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2007
        Have any thing to add Mike?

        > We can also discus things at our next meeting.
        >
        > Cale

        i think, if not mistaken Cale the only thing you missed was the
        overhead track. It's lego track with random trains placed there.
        There is about 16tuds at the back and 14 at the front of about 3/4
        of the track length. About half of the track area is readily seen
        (at least the train running on it) and whatever would be behind it.
        It may be a good place for building Facades, Trees, and
        other "backdrop" type things. you could put something about 1ft
        high there i think (i forgot to make that measurment.

        that's about it I think,,sounds like Cale's got a good grip on
        things!

        I'm hoping for the display window soon. I think It would be a neat
        addition as well and also an opportunity to make people aware of
        pennlug (and maybe chust a small mention of brick jamboree na onct)