1998Re: Museum visit, take II

    May 10, 2007
      Ok, here's what I've got so far. Any other suggestions, comments, or
      whatever- just let me know.

      Dan-
      After our visit to the museum, we've been thinking of different ways
      we could help get things ready. We're very interested in seeing the
      Toy Museum- and you- succeed, but we noticed several obstacles that
      might be in the way of that success. The three of us (and the rest
      of PennLUG) are eager to do what we can to help out. We hope that
      this list will inspire rather than discourage you- this museum is an
      incredible undertaking and we want to cheer you on. Please let us
      know if there's anything more we can do or if you have any questions.
      Mike, Chris, and David

      1. Tackle the facility/environmental issues first: plumbing, wiring,
      paint, walls, floors, handicap access, restrooms (men, women,
      family/unisex/handicap), cleaning. Clean MOCs in dirty room quickly
      become dirty MOCs.

      2. Get to the hardware store and buy some 2mil plastic, a BIG roll
      of it. Clean off those models and display pieces and COVER THEM!
      Don't uncover until the night before opening day- save yourself some
      time!

      3. Image is a lot. Make a good first impression, even before the
      museum opens. Weed kill, then burn off with a propane torch all the
      weeds in the parking lot. Get some cheap sealer for the blacktop and
      the front will look 100% better. People won't notice much else
      outside. Mike can paint, do masonry repair, organize construction
      work, carpentry, tile work, roof repair, and a lot more. "Use me
      Dan, I can build Lego, but I could do a lot more for you with tools
      in my hand and a clear plan. It wouldn't hurt if I had some good
      materials to work with as well."

      4. Mike has a lot of construction experience. Had he known how much
      would need to be done he would have brought tools to help get things
      in order.

      5. Need a dumpster right outside the front door for us to throw all
      that trash away! Getting a majority of that stuff out of the way
      would be a huge help. Also, a dumpster outside communicates progress
      ("we're doing so much work we need to throw stuff away!").

      6. Make a master timeline from now until opening, along with "task
      lists" denoting all the things that need to be done in each area.
      David has moderate experience with project management; he can handle
      this
      with input from Dan.

      7. Constrain the themes from universes to galaxies. So you've got
      a "Western" room. Do you have stock Western sets to display
      alongside the sculptures? Do you need MOCs to fit in with stock sets
      or sculptures? Does "Jurassic Park" need a backdrop or a foreground
      MOC? Does it try to replicate the movie park or reinterpret it?
      Decide what's actually needed (building-wise) and make a list for
      each room.

      8. The rooms need natural light but the view of the ramshackle
      buildings in the neighborhood needs to be blocked. Cover the windows
      and leave glass block untouched or have a professional tint with
      heavy colored tint. Use different colors for different rooms: Orange
      to simulate sunset in western room, teal/blue in the aqua room,
      green in the dino room, etc.

      9. Rooms need to be painted to match theme. Maybe murals, or at
      least put up posters (IN FRAMES!) that coincide with theme.

      10. All those lockers- what are they really doing? Sell off a bunch
      to finance the project. Keep some for the sorting room for builders,
      maybe some for display possibilities. It would also give extra space
      in the halls for big models.

      11. Got a room, a mess and not ready? Put maxi figs with brooms
      around the mess and voila instant "excuse our mess as we continue to
      build." (This was something Chris brought up.)

      12. With time of the essence, maybe consider opening just the
      basement and first floor. It gives more time to dedicate to the
      first two floors and makes it easier to get ready to open. It would
      also give visitors a reason to come back to see the rest.

      13. While a COLTC room is good, a room dedicated more to the hobby
      in general is good too! Info on clubs, LUGs, AFOLs, LTCs, and events
      all over the world would be really interesting.

      14. Make the sorting room a featured room. Bins and containers
      NEATLY arranged and set about. All that Lego sorted, and with more
      coming in, would make anyone's eyes pop. And they get to see where
      lots of the building happens, sort of a "behind the scenes"
      experience. While the COLTC and Lego Rick rooms are both active
      construction/display rooms, the current sorting room could be
      changed into a "Builder's Workshop." The "theme" of that room could
      be the ongoing changes and development of the museum, with incoming
      parts, sorting, and in-progress construction on display.

      15. Bathroom: Plexiglas over the top and front of one stall. They
      open the stall to find a maxi fig on the throne. Cheap, easy to do,
      and I guarantee people will talk about it long after they've left.

      16. Lego light boxes would be great in hallways and stairwells.

      17. Make a map- it could be just a rough diagram on cardboard or a
      surplus chalkboard- and put it in the main hallway. This will help
      visitors and volunteers get a feel for the place while it's under
      construction.

      18. Each room's entrance needs a sign!

      19. We looked around and what we saw was a lot of unfinished stuff:
      items in the hall half put together, in disarray, a lot of junk in
      the way. Decide where it goes and tell us and we'll put it there.

      20. David is a librarian by training. To establish credibility as a
      museum, it would be a good idea to catalog (both for visitor use and
      yours) and describe the exhibits. While it's great to have
      a "pneumatic-activated Lego band," it'd be much more professional to
      have a "pneumatic-activated Lego band, built in 19xx and formerly
      displayed at Legoland Denmark as part of a promotion for the 19xx
      product line. You can see the parts from some of these products
      featured in the.... This piece was purchased from TLG for $xxxxxx."
      David can do some of that if he has the raw information. Know your
      pieces' pedigree!

      > --- In Pennlug@yahoogroups.com, "super_dave42" <dclr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ok- I guess I'll take a first swipe at it and then post it
      (unless
      > > there's a more appropriate place to put it).
      >

      > Sounds Good to me

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic