1991Re: Museum visit, take II

    May 7, 2007
      My suggestions:

      16. While COLTC and Lego Rick rooms are both active
      construction/display rooms, the current sorting room could be
      changed into a "Builder's Workshop." Along the lines of your
      suggestion, the theme of that room could be the ongoing changes and
      development of the museum, with incoming parts, sorting, and in-
      progress construction on display.

      17. I'm a librarian by training. To establish credibility as a
      museum, it would be a good idea to catalog and describe the
      exhibits. While it's great to have a "pneumatic-activated Lego
      band," it'd be much more professional to have a "pneumatic-activated
      Lego band, built in 19xx and formerly displayed at Legoland Denmark
      as part of a promotion for the 19xx product line. You can see the
      parts from some of these products featured in the.... This piece was
      purchased from TLG for $xxxxxx." I can do some of that if I have the
      raw information.

      18. Make a map- it could be just a rough diagram on a chalkboard-
      and put it in the main hallway. This will help visitors and
      volunteers get a feel for the place.

      19. Constrain the themes from universes to galaxies. So you've got
      a "Western" room. Do you have stock Western sets to display
      alongside the sculptures? Do you need MOCs to fit in with stock sets
      or sculptures? Does "Jurassic Park" need a backdrop or a foreground
      MOC? Does it try to replicate the movie park or reinterpret it?
      Decide what's actually needed (building-wise) and make a list for
      each room.

      20. Make a master timeline from now until opening, along with "task
      lists" denoting all the things that need to be done in each area. I
      have moderate experience with project management; I can handle this
      with input from Dan.

      21. Tackle the facility/environmental issues first: plumbing,
      wiring, paint, walls, floors, handicap access, restrooms (men,
      women, family/unisex/handicap), cleaning. Clean MOCs in dirty room =
      dirty MOCs.

      Yup- that's my bit.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic