Need help finishing needle punch name tag

  • Jaynie
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31 11:57 AM
      Hi Everyone!

      I just finished my first needle punch
      project that Elissa showed me how to do,
      using the kit I bought at the Creative
      Arts Festival.

      Can you tell me how to make it into a
      name tag?

      Thanks! Jaynie
    • Susan Kleidon
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31 1:54 PM
        The first think that came to my mind was to coat the
        back with some white glue so that when you cut the
        backing it won't fray and then glue a piece of felt to
        sew your pin to. Any other ideas?

        Susan
        --- Jaynie <jkind2000@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone!
        >
        > I just finished my first needle punch
        > project that Elissa showed me how to do,
        > using the kit I bought at the Creative
        > Arts Festival.
        >
        > Can you tell me how to make it into a
        > name tag?
        >
        > Thanks! Jaynie

      • Jaynie
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
          Thanks Susan and Wendy!

          I found in that same kit some instructions on "How to
          Frame your Punch Needle Design". After much head
          scratching, trying to figure out what they meant, I
          saw the final step...

          "To make a pin, glue to another piece of wool and
          blanket stitch around. Glue or sew pin back on."

          That sounds about like what Susan and Wendy suggested
          except WHAT is BLANKET STITCH? Is that the same
          as whipping?

          Jaynie
          ---------------------

          <wbran438@...> wrote:
          Hi ,
          I have used a product called "Fray Check". It is a clear liquid that
          dries and prevents the edges of material from fraying. Make sure you
          test it on a corner of the fabric first.

          I think this would be a great guild topic.I have been
          looking for my punch kit I bought a year ago and have not even
          opened.
          Thanks for motivating me!

          Wendy

          --- In Peninsula_RugmakersGuild@yahoogroups.com, Susan Kleidon
          <skleidon@...> wrote:

          > The first think that came to my mind was to coat the
          > back with some white glue so that when you cut the
          > backing it won't fray and then glue a piece of felt to
          > sew your pin to. Any other ideas?
          >
          > Susan
          > --- Jaynie <jkind2000@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Everyone!
          > >
          > > I just finished my first needle punch
          > > project that Elissa showed me how to do,
          > > using the kit I bought at the Creative
          > > Arts Festival.
          > >
          > > Can you tell me how to make it into a
          > > name tag?
          > >
          > > Thanks! Jaynie

        • Susan Kleidon
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2007
            Blanket stich what I'm using on my quilt to go around
            the stars.....if you were there the day I was working
            on that. It is also known as buttonhole stitch and
            looks kinda like this

            ___l___l___l___l

            You should be able to do a google search and find some
            instructions. It is a basic embroidery stich.

          • Elaine Garcia
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
              Hey Gals,
              Glad to see some posts coming in on the Yahoo group. Would
              someone please add the Pat M workshop info to the calendar
              link, or post it here as a reminder for everyone?

              Jaynie,
              A blanket stitch is the one that has vertical lines on the
              edge. If you type in "blanket stitch" in Google and then
              click on "images," rather than "search," you will see some
              examples.
              I hope you will share a picture of the finished design in
              the photo file. I need a name tag too.

              Elaine

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
            • Gerri Shaw
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                I avoided stitching altogether; I used a piece of the plastic
                template material that quilters use, put it behind the punched name
                tag, wrapped the edges of the backing around it, and then glued a
                piece of felt on the back. It seems to be holding together fine.

                Gerri

                <skleidon@...> wrote:

                > Blanket stich what I'm using on my quilt to go around
                > the stars.....if you were there the day I was working
                > on that. It is also known as buttonhole stitch and
                > looks kinda like this
                >
                > ___l___l___l___l
                >
                > You should be able to do a google search and find some
                > instructions. It is a basic embroidery stich.
                >

                > --- Jaynie <jkind2000@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks Susan and Wendy!
                > >
                > > I found in that same kit some instructions on "How
                > > Frame your Punch Needle Design". After much head
                > > scratching, trying to figure out what they meant, I
                > > saw the final step...
                > >
                > > "To make a pin, glue to another piece of wool and
                > > blanket stitch around. Glue or sew pin back on."
                > >
                > > That sounds about like what Susan and Wendy
                > > suggested
                > > except WHAT is BLANKET STITCH? Is that the same
                > > as whipping?
                > >
                > > Jaynie
                > > ---------------------
                > >
                > > <wbran438@> wrote:
                > > Hi ,
                > > I have used a product called "Fray Check". It is a
                > > clear liquid that
                > > dries and prevents the edges of material from
                > > fraying. Make sure you
                > > test it on a corner of the fabric first.
                > > >
                > > I think this would be a great guild topic.I have
                > > been
                > > looking for my punch kit I bought a year ago and
                > > have not even
                > > opened.
                > > Thanks for motivating me!
                > >
                > > Wendy
                > >
                > > --- In Peninsula_RugmakersGuild@yahoogroups.com,
                > > Susan Kleidon
                > > <skleidon@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The first think that came to my mind was to coat
                > > the
                > > > back with some white glue so that when you cut the
                > > > backing it won't fray and then glue a piece of
                > > felt to
                > > > sew your pin to. Any other ideas?
                > > >
                > > > Susan

              • Suzan Farrens
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                  Will someone make one for me?!!!
                  Sue

                  <skleidon@.. .> wrote:

                  > Blanket stich what I'm using on my quilt to go around
                  > the stars.....if you were there the day I was working
                  > on that. It is also known as buttonhole stitch and
                  > looks kinda like this
                  >
                  > ___l___l___l_ __l
                  >
                  > You should be able to do a google search and find some
                  > instructions. It is a basic embroidery stich.
                  >

                  > --- Jaynie <jkind2000@. ..> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Susan and Wendy!
                  > >
                  > > I found in that same kit some instructions on "How
                  > > Frame your Punch Needle Design". After much head
                  > > scratching, trying to figure out what they meant, I
                  > > saw the final step...
                  > >
                  > > "To make a pin, glue to another piece of wool and
                  > > blanket stitch around. Glue or sew pin back on."
                  > >
                  > > That sounds about like what Susan and Wendy
                  > > suggested
                  > > except WHAT is BLANKET STITCH? Is that the same
                  > > as whipping?
                  > >
                  > > Jaynie
                  > > ------------ ---------
                  > >
                  > > <wbran438@> wrote:
                  > > Hi ,
                  > > I have used a product called "Fray Check". It is a
                  > > clear liquid that
                  > > dries and prevents the edges of material from
                  > > fraying. Make sure you
                  > > test it on a corner of the fabric first.
                  > > >
                  > > I think this would be a great guild topic.I have
                  > > been
                  > > looking for my punch kit I bought a year ago and
                  > > have not even
                  > > opened.
                  > > Thanks for motivating me!
                  > >
                  > > Wendy
                  > >
                  > > --- In Peninsula_Rugmakers Guild@yahoogroup s.com,
                  > > Susan Kleidon
                  > > <skleidon@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The first think that came to my mind was to coat
                  > > the
                  > > > back with some white glue so that when you cut the
                  > > > backing it won't fray and then glue a piece of
                  > > felt to
                  > > > sew your pin to. Any other ideas?
                  > > >
                  > > > Susan

                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

                • Wendy Brannan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                    I will post the info!
                    Wendy

                    Elaine Garcia <keg_52@...> wrote:
                    Hey Gals,
                    Glad to see some posts coming in on the Yahoo group. Would
                    someone please add the Pat M workshop info to the calendar
                    link, or post it here as a reminder for everyone?

                    Jaynie,
                    A blanket stitch is the one that has vertical lines on the
                    edge. If you type in "blanket stitch" in Google and then
                    click on "images," rather than "search," you will see some
                    examples.
                    I hope you will share a picture of the finished design in
                    the photo file. I need a name tag too.

                    Elaine

                    Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                    http://farechase. yahoo.com/ promo-generic- 14795097

                  • Jaynie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2, 2007
                      Thank you Susan, Betty, Elaine, and Gerri for your
                      helpful replies.

                      As I am feeling lazy, I like Gerri's idea. If I
                      feel really ambitious I'll do the blanket stitch.
                      Haven't decided yet.

                      Hopefully I'll have it done by the April guild
                      meeting!

                      Thanks again,
                      Jaynie

                      --- In Peninsula_RugmakersGuild@yahoogroups.com, "Gerri Shaw"