question about dyeing chair cushions

  • keg_52
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
      I bought a chair that has pink, green, and beige plaid/check (1/2" squares) fabric on three removable cushions which have zippers to remove the covers. I went to Calico Corners to see about recovering the cushions and the estimate, with a $20 a yd fabric I picked out, was over $330. The fabric is in perfect condition, it's just not the right colors. Do you think I could dye it? What kind of dye would I use? Not sure what the fabric is, but it's not wool. It feels like some kind of a cotton blend.

      Thanks for any suggestions you might have,

      Elaine
    • Susan Kleidon
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
        I would use a dye made for cotton and maybe do a test on a piece that doesn't show, but I would probably just go for it.  It already isn't the right color so the worst that could happen is that you have to recover it...and you already know what that would cost.

        If the dyeing doesn't work you could try checking out the upholstry fabrics at JoAnn...you can get them on sale or use a 40% coupon.

        I bought a chair that has pink, green, and beige plaid/check (1/2" squares) fabric on three removable cushions which have zippers to remove the covers. I went to Calico Corners to see about recovering the cushions and the estimate, with a $20 a yd fabric I picked out, was over $330. The fabric is in perfect condition, it's just not the right colors. Do you think I could dye it? What kind of dye would I use? Not sure what the fabric is, but it's not wool. It feels like some kind of a cotton blend.

        Thanks for any suggestions you might have,

        Elaine

      • Elaine
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
          I would like to make it a deep red, but I'm afraid the green in it would turn a muddy brown. Maybe blue would be better, but I don't want the pink areas to turn purple. Hmm. Maybe the JoAnn's idea is best. I have a 50% off coupon.

          Thanks,

          Elaine Garcia
          elaine@...
          http://www.norcalbulldogrescue.org

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2010
            I think you could go red as long as it was dark.....same with blue, go with a dark blue and it should just overpower the pink.  If it doesn't work you haven't really lost much except a little time.

            elaine@norcalbulldo grescue.org