Global Initiatives Symposium in Taiwan

  • Retno Widyastuti
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2009
      GIS Taiwan 2009
      About GIS Taiwan

      As students studying in National Taiwan University, which is the most privileged university in Taiwan, it is our responsibility to reciprocate the society which has offered incalculable amount of resources to cultivate leaders of the next generation.

      Taiwan possesses great energy in academic and corporate innovation. Our development in information technologies, medical sciences and industrial designing has considerable influence on the international community. These advantages have prompted our awareness to improve the welfare of the global village.

      It is our belief that through an international conference, an opportunity can be offered to university students as us to gather innovative ideas in the land of Taiwan. And through exchanges and discussions, pragmatic experiences can be acquired, and effective solutions can be generated to address current issues in a feasible manner.

      Global Initiatives Symposium (GIS) aims to provide a platform for future leaders to ignite the creativity of the participants and to initiate possibilities of a better world.

      Standing on the basis of Taiwan, GIS seeks to gather present and potential future leaders of the world to share their forward looking, concrete and innovative ideas and awareness on both regional and global scale. Further, through discussing feasible and effective approaches to the challenges and trends the global community faces, we wish to see actions being taken in a sure footed manner.

      • To provide a Taiwan-based platform for global interaction.
      • To share views and responses from all parts of the world to major global challenges today.
      • To integrate theories and practice of various academic disciplines, thereby making a difference through political, technological and commercial channels.
      • To form a global network between students and leaders of the world, in the prospect of this borderless network would serve as a think tank.
      • To become the bridge through which students are connected to governments, enterprises and the third sector.
      • To enhance regional awareness of participants, thus stimulates the development of potential regional actions.

      We hope that GIS Taiwan would initiate ideas and expand the attendees’ horizons in this ever changing global community. Through our symposium, we hope that we can make our Earth, our small planet on which all things lives, a better place.

      National Taiwan University, GIS Host Team

      July 6-12th 2009

      National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan

      80 students will be selected through an essay competition. Applicants must be undergraduate or graduate students, and must not be born prior to 1974.

      Topic and Subtopic:

      The topic for the 1st GIS Taiwan 2009 is:

             Challenges and Opportunities, the Global Economy in the Transition Phase

      The three subtopics are:

      1. Bliss or Misery? — Contemplating the Engagement at Cultural Forms and Economic Progress
      2. Rethinking of Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Entrepreneurship
      3. Find the Next Wave to Ride On — New Business Strategies in the Changing World

      Official Language:

      English will be used during the conference as the official language.

      Application Deadline:

      All the Applications must be submitted via the official website. Applicants' essays must be uploaded by 15th March, 2009 to be eligible for the competition.

      Announcement of Results:

      Qualified participants will be notified via e-mail on 25th April, 2009.

      Covered Expenses:

      The costs of accommodation, meals, and the tour around Taipei are covered. Additionally, grants are offered to international students according to the location of their university.

      Participants from universities located in Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Palau, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam are offered grant of $150 USD per person.

      Participants from universities aside from Taiwan and countries mentioned above are offered grant of $400 USD per person.

      For further information, click on :

      Best Regards,
      Post-Graduate Student of Japanese Area Studies
      University of Indonesia