Lomba Menulis Essay
--- On Wed, 9/3/08, gilang parahita <gilangcantik@...> wrote:
From: gilang parahita <gilangcantik@...>
Subject: [pcmi_jogja] Fw: Lomba Menulis Essay
To: "PCMI Jogja" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 10:05 PMDear Forum,------------ --------- --------
Sebelumnya saya ucapkan selamat berpuasa bagi yang menjalani. Semoga menjadi berkah bagi kita semua.
Informasi ini penting bagi anggota milis ini yang suka tantangan untuk menulis karya ilmiah. PSSAT dan BKPBM mengadakan lomba menulis essay tingkat internasional dengan tema "ASEAN MALAY WORLD: Globalism and Multiculturalism" . Lomba ini sayang untuk dilewatkan, (terutama oleh alumni SSYEAP yang gemar menulis), karena jurinya bertaraf internasional, dan hadiahnya cukup besar.
Info lebih lanjut klik ke www.melayuonline. com atau www.pssat.ugm. ac.id. Poster dilampirkan dalam email ini. Mohon informasi ini disebarluaskan ke milis-milis yang lainnya. Terima kasih.
International Academic Essay Competition 2008-2009 BKPBM-CESASS
1. IntroductionGlobalization and multiculturalism in the 21st century are undeniable facts among international communities. The advanced civilization on information technology which solves the problems of space and time boundaries has helped the rapidity of people movement from place to another place in shorter time. That condition has determined the contradictory intentions, which are the presences of cultural universality and the resistances of local culture. In the other hand, globalization demands the people to admit any ideas being told, which are mirrored in the homogeneity of way of thinking and cultural practice. It can be viewed from the popular cultural practices which tend to represent the universal identity exceeding the borders among countries, races, cultures, etc. In the other side, the wave of cultural homogenization from global forces has stimulated other phenomenon: the empowerment of resistant local identity, in which manifest in a form of indigenization. It is very potential in those conditions that generated conflict is the result of exclusivity of the resistances in the social, culture, economy, and political area.That phenomenon is also occurred in the Southeast Asian region mostly the inhabitants come from the Malay community. Cultural diversity among Southeast Asians is the character of nations in Southeast Asia. Commerce and trans-region activities among Southeast Asians have pushed the cultural interactions which then created hybridism of cultures. The historical fact illustrates that Southeast Asian societies have been living together in diversity since the ancient regimes. Nevertheless, the colonialism and the prevalence of globalization have caused cultural fanaticism on several groups in societies. As the result, each group attempts to expose their identities and to some extent announce their groups as the superior groups over the others. This phenomenon is contra productive for disseminating the idea of multiculturalism.The idea of multiculturalism has its roots in the history of Southeast Asian region. The disclosures of independence, pride, and assurance of diversity and cultural identities have embedded in the idea of multiculturalism. It promotes social capital, social cohesive, and status equality among cultural and religion groups, which admit that there is no culture is superior to other culture. Southeast Asia region has been becoming the melting pot in where many religions, languages, and customs have lived together harmoniously. ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nation) in this case has bridged the cultural diversity in the region, and facilitate its people to interact in multicultural enthusiasm. Accordingly, is it still relevant to consider that Malay is Moslem, speaks in Malay, has Malay custom, and lives in Malay region?According to the above ideas, Academic Essay Competition 2008 offers theme on “ASEAN Malay World” as the effort to compile many writings that focus on aspects of changing or not changing of cultural expressions of Malay in global interactions; and writings that offer perspectives of Malay culture development in the issue of Malay identity in global era. Through the theme, it is expected that studies which intensely regard the dynamics of Malay people and its identity in the atmosphere of globalization and multiculturalism will appear.
a. Compiling studies on the dynamics of ASEAN Malay culture in the globalization era in the perspective of multiculturalims;
b. Enriching the world of knowledge on Malay studies;
c. Publishing the studies in online and printed media.
3. Broad of Themes
The theme on “ASEAN Malay World: Globalism and Multiculturalism” is seeing the dynamics of Malay societies in Southeast Asia in the issues of:
a. ASEAN Role in the Developing of MulticulturalismThe subtheme is focusing on the study of ASEAN roles in the growing and developing of multicultural Malay culture in Southeast Asia that is tolerable to differences. The subtheme is also seeking the potential strategy of ASEAN in conflict management among ethnics and religions in ASEAN region.
b. Popular Malay ImagesThe subtheme is focused to view on how Malay culture is expressed trhrough popular communication medium, as we see in daily live on radios, TV channels, internet, games, novels, comics, storybooks, film, magazines, etc. The question in the subtheme is for instance: how the Malay culture influences the specific expressions in these popular culture, and how the global culture influences the Malay-ness of the products.
c. Globalization and Malay Politics of IdentityMalay societies or other people who are in the ‘Malay region’ has experienced many changing as the result of globalization process. The forms of international integration in the political, economic, defence, etc has created many responses in Malay society in Southeast Asia and its surroundings. The subtheme is focusing on the study of Malay identity in Southeast Asia that is shaped and influenced by the regional and global power especially on how the values of Malay culture negotiate and accomodate, complete, and color new values in the modern and global activities. On of the example is religion identity, nationalism, and the ideology of Malay people in the certain region.
d. Malay Diaspora
The sub theme is focusing on the aspects related to Malay identity that lives and develops in the outside of ‘Malay region’ with its variations. Living and interacting among non-Malay might shape new perspective on the meaning of Malay-ness. It means that it is important to view and study more on the development of the Malay’s way of thinking in politics, social, culture, and religion.
e. Gender Issues on Modern Malay World
In its history, Malay women were associated in the inferior position compared to men’s position in the domestic area. As the result, the sub theme is covered to point the role of Modern Malay women out that is different from themselves in the past as the occurrence of globalization and modernization, for example the study of female figure, ideas, and Malay organization activities, and women labors.
Terms and Conditions
a. Terms of Participation:
1. For Public Participant;
2. Participant is allowed to send more than one scientific writing.
3. Attaching statement letter that the writing is original, not a translation, never been sent to the similar competition, and never beenpublished in mass media or journal.
4. Attaching copy of valid identity card or other recognition documents.
5. Attaching brief Curricullum Vitae.
6. Partcipant without complete documents will not be considered in the selection.
7. The staffs of BKPBM and CESASS are not allowed to enroll the competition.
8. Committee will not give the script back.
9. During the selection process, the competed script is not allowed to be published.
b. Writing Format:
1. Using the standard academic writing rules in Indonesian/Malay/ English.
2. The writing is printed in the A4 paper, 1.5 space, Arial (11) or Times New Roman (12).
3. The script is more or less 3.500—4.500 words long.
4. Attaching page number on the down right of pages.
5. Particiant’s name is written in the cover page;
6. Script that is not in the criteria will be disqualified.
c. Winning Awards:
1. Winner : Rp. 10.000.000 + Trophy
2. First Runner Up : Rp. 7.000.000 + Trophy
3. Second Runner Up : Rp. 5.000.000 + Trophy
4. Third Runner Up : Rp. 3.000.000 + Trophy
d. Script Admission:
1. The deadline for script admission is on January 05, 2009;
e. Other information:
1. The winning writing will be published on February 28, 2009 in the websites: www.melayuonline. com and www.pssat.ugm. ac.id
2. The winning writing is under the committee right.
3. The result of the competition is undeniable.
4. The winner will be invited to attend the closing ceremony of SWC 2008 on March 20, 2009.
5. For more information, please contact:
Balai Kajian dan Pengembangan Budaya Melayu [BKPBM]:
Pusat Studi Sosial Asia Tenggara Universitas Gadjah Mada [PSSAT-UGM]:
IV. Selection Team and Adjudicators
1. Prof. Dr. Heddy Shri Ahimsa-Putra, M.A., M.Phil. [Anthropologi UGM]
2. Mahyudin Al Mudra, S.H., M.M. [BKPBM]
3. Dr. Aris Arif Mundayat. [PSSAT-UGM]
4. Maria Hartiningsih [Kompas]*
5. Dr. Ampuan Haji Ibrahim [University of Brunei Darussalam]
6. Prof. Dr. Ding Choo Ming [Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, UKM]
7. Dr. Mohd. Syarifudin Yusop [Universiti Putra Malaysia, UPM]
V. Agenda Schedule
No Agenda Dates 1. Publicity August 15, 2008 2. Deadline for script admission January 5, 2009 3. Script selection January, 6-20 2009 4. Judging January 21—February 15, 2009 5. Announcement of the Winners February 28, 2009 6. Ceremony March 20, 2009
Get your new Email address!
Grab the Email name you've always wanted before someone else does!
New Email names for you!
Get the Email name you've always wanted on the new @ymail and @rocketmail.
Hurry before someone else does!