Info en sedikit brita..

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2008
        Workshop on Migration and Diversity in Asian Contexts
        *Date:* 25/09/2008 - 26/09/2008 *Venue:* ARI Seminar Room  469A Tower
      Block, Level 10, Bukit Timah Road  National University of Singapore @
       BTC *
      Organisers:* The event is jointly organised by Asia Research Institute
       and
      Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Migration Cluster, National
       University
      of Singapore      *Description:*

      The increasing scale and quickening pace of transnational migration and
      mobility has brought about increasing levels and forms of social
       diversity
      in societies and communities in many parts of the world. In general,
       huge
      migrations and movements of peoples, along with their ideas, beliefs
       and
      practices, are taking place and resulting in unprecedented diversities
       of
      populations and communities living together.  This has led to growing
      concern and widening debate on the ways and means of coping with
       difference.
      In Western 'immigration countries' such as the United Kingdom, Germany,
      France, Denmark and Holland in the European Union and others such as
       Canada,
      Australia and New Zealand, the concerns and debates variously focus
       around
      the discourses and practices of 'multiculturalism', 'integration',
       `rights
      and responsibilities', 'social cohesion', 'social inclusion',
      'cosmopolitanism' and 'unity in diversity', with much attention paid to
       the
      often overlapping dimensions of class, ethnicity and religion.

      In contrast, there has been relatively little attention given to the
       growing
      diversity in countries, cities and communities in Asia.  While issues
       and
      debates are also variously emerging over `multiculturalism',
       `integration',
      `rights and responsibilities', `social cohesion', `cosmopolitanism' and
      'diversity' in some of these Asian settings, their processes, meanings
       and
      significances need to be understood within their contexts which are
      constituted by highly distinct and varied postcolonial histories,
       cultures,
      geographies, and political economies.

      The increasing social diversity being woven into the fabrics of Asian
      societies and communities is fuelled primarily by a wide range of
       labour
      migration flows. Different migration (and citizenship) regimes
       fundamentally
      underlie the migration-diversity connections involved. In some Asian
      countries, a bifurcated labour migration system is predominant, with
       the
      unskilled and low-skilled regulated by a 'use-and discard' contract
       labour
      system which encourages transience and discourages settlement, while
       the
      highly skilled are encouraged to put down roots through more liberal
      immigration and permanent residency systems. The large numbers of
      undocumented migrants add further complexities to the landscapes of
      diversity – while they do not necessarily appear in the categories
       used by
      the state in policy formulations and are socially 'invisible' or
       `excluded',
      they are tolerated for their labour which fills shortages in booming
      economic sectors but expelled in times of economic downturns and
       crises.

      Other forces are also at work in infusing social complexity into
       various
      Asian settings. Cross-nationality marriages is on the rise in several
       Asian
      countries and 'foreign spouses' and 'children of mixed marriages' is
       now a
      reality for many families and communities, raising issues of difference
       and
      of intercultural and cross-cultural living. The phenomenon of 'return
      migration' – often encouraged by policies aimed at reversing 'brain
       drain'
      or replenishing dwindling or ageing populations – is also adding to
       the
      diversity of 'home' countries, often accompanied not only by a politics
       of
      difference but also of sameness.

      The issues around migration and increasing diversity in Asia in some
       cases
      need to be understood within the contexts of already pluralistic
       societies,
      such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. Some of these societies have
       also
      historically encountered conflicts and tensions between ethnic groups
       but
      also experienced accommodation and integration efforts and processes.
       In
      other cases, they are occurring in relatively homogeneous societies
       such as
      Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China, and immigration pose a new challenge
       both to
      policymakers and to the public besides to the immigrants themselves. In
      general, for members of host societies, the tremendous speed and scale
       of
      immigration and the variety of immigrants' backgrounds pose adjustment
      problems of perception and acceptance of immigrants and of changes to
       their
      existing social orders, cultures and identities.

      Understanding the migration-diversity landscape and dynamics in Asian
      contexts requires examination at different levels: nation-state and
       society,
      cities and their specific characteristics, local communities, small
       groups,
      interpersonal relations and individual persons. It also requires
      simultaneous attention on the spheres of policy and management, and
       response
      and interaction by both immigrants and locals. These include migration
      policies, citizenship regimes and integrative approaches and mechanisms
       of
      diversity management; migrant settlement patterns and 'contact zones';
       and
      intercultural processes, events and experiences.

      A focus on Asian contexts also entails more than just a comparison with
      existing scholarship on migration and diversity in western contexts. It
       is
      also important to scrutinise the relevance of some of the main
       approaches
      and debates on diversity and diversity management in the West when
       applied
      to Asian contexts.

      *
      AIMS OF WORKSHOP
      *
      This research workshop has the following aims:

      1. to explore and understand the changing landscape of migration and
      diversity in various Asian contexts,
      2. to understand the emerging major discourses, debates and issues on
      diversity,
      3. to examine current dominant approaches in scholarship, policy and
      practice on migration and diversity, towards better understanding and
      management of diversities in Asian contexts, and
      4. to identify key areas for further in-depth research.

      *
      CALL FOR PAPERS AND INVITED SPEAKERS*

      This workshop will be based on suitable papers received from interested
      participants and invited speakers. We welcome papers which discuss any
      population groups and aspects of the migration-diversity connections in
       the
      context of any Asian setting. Population groups can include men, women,
      children and youths, ethnic and gendered minorities, families, workers,
       and
      communities. Papers may be of a theoretical nature, take the form of
      critical analyses of policy discourse and practice, or draw on
       quantitative
      studies or ethnographic work. *Papers may be based on recently
       completed
      work or work in progress*.

      Aspects discussed in papers can include but are not limited to the
      following:
      • discourses and debates on migration and social diversity
      • reviews of theoretical, social and political approaches to
       migration and
      diversity in Asian contexts and development of new approaches
      • class, cultural and religious diversity issues
      • national and local governance responses to migration and social
       diversity
      • role of cities as nodal points in migratory circulation
      • influence of migration and diversity on the material and symbolic
      landscapes of cities and other localities
      • roles of spatial planning and urban/housing policy and design
      • labour market segmentation and integration
      • sites of encounter - zones between citizens and foreigners
      • events and incidents of tension and conflict and of dialogue, civic
      participation and collaboration
      • everyday life experiences of migrants
      • media portrayals and discussions of migration and diversity
      • integration approaches, pathways and mechanisms
      • roles of education, dialogue and collaboration
      • civil society, NGOs and civic participation
      • rights and responsibilities of migrants and locals
      • inter-generational issues of migration, settlement and
      citizenship/belonging
      • imagined communities and senses of being and belonging

      Partial or full funding to attend the workshop is likely to be
       available for
      the presenting author of papers selected.

      Selected papers of completed research may be published in a relevant
      journal. Projects in progress or completed projects with follow-up
       potential
      may be selected for participation in a future research project
       (tentatively
      2009-2010).

      *
      SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS AND ADMINISTRATION
      *
      The call for papers is closed. Acceptance of papers will be notified by
       13
      June 2008.

      Abstracts should be submitted simultaneously to *both* at the following
      email addresses:
      Dr LAI Ah Eng (main organiser) *arilae@...* <arilae@...>
      Dr Francis Leo COLLINS *ariflc@...* <ariflc@...>
      *

      CONTACT DETAILS*

      *Organisers*
      Dr LAI Ah Eng (main organiser) *arilae@...* <arilae@...>
      Dr Francis Leo COLLINS *ariflc@...* <ariflc@...>
      Prof Brenda YEOH
      Assoc Prof Robbie GOH

      *Workshop Secretariat:
      *Ms Valerie YEO
      Asia Research Institute
      National University of Singapore
      469A Tower Block #10-01,
      Bukit Timah Road, Singapore 259770
      Email: valerie.yeo@...
      Tel: (65) 6516 5279
      Fax: (65) 6779 1428
           *Contact Person:* Mdm YEO Ee Lin
      Valerie<http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/people_details.asp?peopleid=104>
      *Email:* ariyeov@...
      Beberapa foto dari detik.com mengenai FPI di monas.
      &gt; http://www.detiknew s.com/indexfr. php?url=http: //www.detiknews. com/index. php/detik. read/tahun/ 2008/bulan/ 06/tgl/02/ time/115634/ idnews/948827/ idkanal/10

      > http://www.kompas. com/read/ xml/2008/ 06/02/08094129/ kebhinnekaan. dicederai
      >
      > Kebhinnekaan Dicederai
      >
      > JAKARTA, SENIN - Kekerasan yang dilakukan massa beratribut Front Pembela
      > Islam dan beberapa organisasi
      masyarakat lain terhadap anggota Aliansi
      > Kebangssan untuk Kebebasan Beragama dan Berkeyakinan pada peringatan hari
      > kelahiran Pancasila, Minggu (1/6), di kawasan Monumen Nasional, Jakarta,
      > mencederai kehidupan kebangsaan di Indonesia yang menjunjung tinggi
      > kebhinnekaan.
      > Oleh karena itu, aksi kekerasan tersebut harus diusut oleh kepolisian dan
      > pelakunya dikenai sanksi hukum.
      > Pendapat yang disuarakan oleh wartawan senior Goenawan Mohamad yang turut
      > serta dalam Aliansi Kebangssan untuk Kebebasan Beragama dan Berkeyakinan
      > (AKKBB), juga disuarakan tokoh politik, tokoh agama, tokoh masyarakat, dan
      > pihak-pihak yang terkena aksi kekerasan massa yang beratribut Front Pembela
      > Islam (FPI). Antara lain, Ketua Umum Pimpinan Pusat Muhammadiyah Din
      > Syamsuddin, Ketua Dewan Syuro Partai Kebangkitan Bangsa, yang juga mantan
      > Presiden, Abdurrahman Wahid, Ketua Dewan Pertimbangan DPP PDI
      Perjuangan
      > Taufiq Kiemas, Direktur Eksekutif The Wahid Institute Achmad Suaedi, Ketua
      > Fraksi Kebangkitan Bangsa DPR A Effendy Choirie, dan Ketua DPP Partai
      > Demokrat Anas Urbaningrum.
      > Tindakan kekerasan yang dilakukan massa FPI itu dianggap ironis karena
      > dilakukan terhadap anggota AKKBB pada peringatan hari kelahiran Pancasila
      > yang seharusnya menjadi landasan pemersatu seluruh komponen bangsa.
      > Aksi kekerasan yang dilakukan massa FPI itu mengakibatkan peringatan hari
      > kelahiran Pancasila yang sedianya dilakukan AKKBB di kawasan Monumen
      > Nasional (Monas) itu akhirnya bubar.. Pada saat yang sama, dua kelompok
      > massa, yaitu Front Perjuangan Rakyat dan Hizbut Tahrir Indonesia berunjuk
      > rasa di depan Istana Merdeka, menuntut agar keputusan kenaikan harga bahan
      > bakar minyak dibatalkan.
      > Menanggapi aksi kekerasan yang dilakukan massa FPI terhadap AKKBB, Ketua
      > Umum PP
      Muhammadiyah Din Syamsuddin mengatakan, aksi kekerasan itu merupakan
      > peristiwa yang memprihatinkan dan bertentangan dengan nilai Islam. Perbedaan
      > pendapat di kalangan masyarakat, tidak harus diselesaikan dengan main hakim
      > sendiri. Sudah saat bangsa ini menghilangkan setiap aksi kekerasan yang
      > mengatasnamakan Islam.
      > "Saya mengharapkan segenap pihak untuk menahan diri dan tidak terjebak
      > dalam kekerasan dan anarkisme," ujar Din.
      > Sementara Ketua Dewan Syuro Partai Kebangkitan Bangsa, yang juga mantan
      > Presiden, Abdurrahman Wahid, mengatakan, Islam menentang kekerasan. "Ini
      > bukan negara rimba, mau tidak mau harus ditangkap orang-orang itu." Ia dalam
      > kesempatan itu juga menyerukan agar Front Pembela Islam dibubarkan.
      > Sekretaris Jenderal Koalisi Perempuan Indonesia (KPI) yang tergabung dalam
      > AKKBB Masruchah sangat menyesalkan kekerasan yang dilakukan FPI terhadap
      > para peserta
      apel akbar AKKBB. "Kami diserang massa FPI yang membawa bambu
      > dan botol, padahal sebagian besar dari kami terdiri dari perempuan dan
      > anak-anak," katanya.
      > Masruchah mengimbau, seluruh elemen masyarakat untuk menghentikan kekerasan
      > dan mengedepankan diskusi dan perdebatan pemikiran yang sehat dalam
      > menyelesaikan perselisihan.
      > Adapun Munarman, yang mengaku sebagai Komandan Laskar Islam mengatakan,
      > pihaknya membubarkan aksi AKKBB dengan kekerasan karena AKKBB dianggap
      > mendukung Ahmadiyah. Padahal, menurut Munarman, Ahamdiyah adalah organisasi
      > kriminal.
      > Munarman juga menegaskan, "Mengapa mereka mengadakan aksi mendukung
      > organisasi kriminal. Mereka menantang kami lebih dulu. Jika tidak siap
      > perang, jangan menantang."
      > Setidaknya 12 peserta AKKBB terluka akibat kekerasan yang dilakukan FPI. Di
      > antara yang terluka terdapat Direktur Eksekutif International Centre
      for
      > Islam and Pluralism (ICIP) Syafii Anwar, Direktur Eksekutif The Wahid
      > Institute Achmad Suaedi, dan pemimpin Pondok Pesantren Al-Mizan KH Maman
      > Imanul Haq Faqih dari Majalengka.
      > Polisi akan tindak
      > Juru bicara kepresidenan Andi Mallarangeng menegaskan, Indonesia adalah
      > negara hukum dan menjamin setiap warga Negara untuk menjalankan hak
      > asasinya. Sebab itu, jika ada pelanggaran hukum seperti kekerasan, negara
      > akan melindungi korban dan menindak pelaku kekerasan secara hukum. Menurut
      > dia, tindakan hukum terhadap pelaku kekerasan akan dilakukan kepada siapa
      > pun, tidak akan pandang bulu.
      > Kepala Divisi Humas Polri Irjen Abubakar Nataprawira menegaskan, Polri akan
      > menindak tegas siapa pun yang melakukan kekerasan. "Saya sudah bicara dengan
      > Kepala Polres Metro Jakarta Pusat. Polri sedang mengumpulkan bukti-bukti
      > merupakan rekaman video dari peristiwa kekerasan itu,"
      katanya.
      > Kepala Polres Jakarta Pusat Komisaris Besar Heru Winarko mengemukakan,
      > terpecahnya massa AKKBB, atau banyaknya anggota AKKBB yang keluar dari rute
      > yang seharusnya dilalui, menjadikan pengawalan polisi terbagi, sehingga aksi
      > kekerasan yang terjadi pada mereka tidak dapat dicegah.
      > Sekretaris Jenderal Gerakan Pemuda Ansor Malik Haramain mengatakan, "Jika
      > pemerintah tidak segera membuktikan dapat bertindak tegas dengan memproses
      > hukum para pelaku kekerasan, Ansor bersama elemen lain seperti Garda Bangsa
      > akan membubarkan FPI."
      > Ia menambahkan, pihaknya sudah mulai lelah mendengar pemerintah yang
      > berulangkali berjanji akan bertindak keras terhadap kelompok seperti FPI,
      > tetapi nyaris tanpa bukti.
      > Aksi kekerasan tersebut membuat para ulama, kiai dan sejumlah organisasi
      > mahasiswa mengadakan pertemuan mendadak di Pondok Pesantren Khatulistiwa,
      > Kempek, Kabupaten
      Cirebon, Minggu sore.

      > headline koran tempo:
      >
      > http://www.korantem po.com/korantemp o/2008/06/ 02/headline/ krn,20080602, 12.id.html
      >
      > Senin, 02 Juni 2008
      > Headline
      > "BUBARKAN FPI"
      > Aksi FPI menyerang peserta demo tentang kebebasan beragama menuai kecaman
      > keras.
      >
      > JAKARTA -- Mantan Presiden Abdurrahman Wahid mengecam aksi penyerbuan yang
      > dilakukan Front Pembela Islam (FPI) terhadap Aliansi Kebangsaan untuk
      > Kebebasan Beragama dan Berkeyakinan di Lapangan Monumen Nasional, Jakarta,
      > kemarin. Dia menuntut aparat penegak hukum membubarkan FPI karena dinilai
      > mengancam kebebasan beragama di Indonesia.
      > "FPI telah menodai Pancasila sebagai dasar negara yang menjunjung
      > pluralisme bangsa," kata Ketua Dewan Syuro Pengurus Besar Nahdlatul Ulama
      > ini.
      > Kemarin siang, Aliansi Kebangsaan menggelar apel memperingati hari
      > kelahiran
      Pancasila. Kegiatan yang dipusatkan di Lapangan Monas bagian
      > selatan ini diikuti 70 lembaga, antara lain Komunitas Santri, Nahdlatul
      > Ulama, Ahmadiyah, Komunitas Gereja, Penghayat Kepercayaan, Syiah, dan
      > Pesantren Cirebon.
      > Ketika panitia mengumpulkan peserta, tiba-tiba datang puluhan orang
      > mengenakan atribut FPI. Mereka menyerbu sambil berteriak, "Itu Ahmadiyah,
      > agama sesat, pembohong!"
      > Koordinator Aliansi Kebangsaan, Anik H.T., memberi kesaksian, "Mereka
      > menyabet kami dengan kayu bendera dan pentungan. Mereka menyemprotkan pasir
      > yang diberi bumbu dapur. Perih di mata."
      > Kelompok penyerang beraksi brutal. Sasaran mereka bukan hanya laki-laki,
      > tetapi juga ibu-ibu dan anak-anak. "Kami tidak membalas. Kami pilih mundur,"
      > ujar Budi Kurniawan, anggota panitia.
      > Akibatnya, 12 orang luka parah dan beberapa luka ringan, di antaranya
      > Direktur Program Jurnal Perempuan
      Mohammad Guntur Romli. Guntur harus
      > menjalani operasi di Rumah Sakit Pusat Angkatan Darat Gatot Subroto. "Tulang
      > hidung patah dan pelipis retak," kata Budi lagi. Mata kanan Guntur juga tak
      > dapat melihat akibat pukulan.
      > Korban lainnya adalah Direktur International Conference Islamic and
      > Pluralism Safie Anwar dan Direktur Wahid Institut Ahmad Suaedi. Bogem mentah
      > dan sabetan kayu beberapa kali mendarat di kepala mereka. Kiai Maman
      > Imanulhaq, pengasuh Pesantren Az-Zaman Cirebon, terluka pada dagu dan
      > dirawat di RS Mitra Keluarga, Jatinegara, Jakarta Timur.
      > Wandy Nicodemus Tuturoong dari Rumah Indonesia menyaksikan bahwa kelompok
      > penyerang menggunakan bambu runcing. "Bayangkan saja akibat sabetan bambu
      > itu," kata Wandy. "Itu perbuatan biadab FPI. Saya menuntut aparat bertindak
      > tegas, jangan terus melindungi preman berjubah."
      > Muhammad Machsuni, Panglima Laskar Pembela Islam
      (LPI) mengatakan, aksi
      > penyerangan di Monas itu bukan dilakukan FPI. "Kami yang bertanggung jawab
      > atas penyerangan itu," kata Machsuni. "Ini bentuk penegasan sikap kepada
      > Aliansi Kebangsaan untuk Kebebasan Beragama dan Berkeyakinan yang mendukung
      > Ahmadiyah."
      > LPI adalah kelompok paramiliter FPI. Meski berada di bawah bendera FPI,
      > garis komando FPI dan LPI berbeda. "Jadi, harus diluruskan, yang melakukan
      > itu bukan FPI, tapi LPI."
      > Ahmadiyah, menurut Machsuni, telah mencoreng nama umat Islam. Pilihannya
      > hanya ada dua, "tobat atau perang". Karena itu, dia membenarkan kekerasan
      > fisik yang terjadi di Monas. "Masak, perang hanya dicolek saja," kata
      > Machsuni.
      > Goenawan Mohamad, budayawan, menyatakan bahwa tindakan FPI yang menentang
      > Ahmadiyah sama halnya dengan menentang kebebasan beragama yang sudah dijamin
      > konstitusi. "Memang FPI itu ingin mendirikan negara Islam?"
      katanya.
      > Lembaga kepresidenan juga bereaksi keras atas peristiwa ini. Andi
      > Mallarangeng, juru bicara kepresidenan, menegaskan bahwa negara harus
      > melindungi warga negara yang hak konstitusionalnya dilanggar. "Mekanismenya
      > diserahkan kepada aparat penegak hukum," katanya. Presiden Susilo Bambang
      > Yudhoyono, menurut Andi, sudah menerima laporan tentang kejadian itu. Suseno

      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=whES47QXyVI& feature=related

      "Aerodynamically a bee can't fly .
      But since a bee don't know the law of aerodynamics , a bee fly."
      Mary Kay Ash
      Don't know who she is but worthy word she does has.