another village PCV finds a computer...

  • jkinniff
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2002
      hi guys,

      i just logged onto the message group so i wanted to say hi. i'm
      jenny, a volunteer in a village of 1700 people (that's 1701 now!)
      about 5 hrs from Vlad. i'm in vlad showing a friend around who's
      visiting from japan, so i thought i'd take a stab at some of your
      questions:

      --i can't guarantee anything, but i wouldn't sweat the luggage weight
      too much. they didn't charge me for mine being over here in vlad
      (although i know that some people got charged on their way to
      orientation in philly).

      --i am so happy i brought a sleeping bag, an oven thermometer and
      measuring cups, one jar of jif peanut butter to tide me over until my
      parents' packages started coming, a shortwave radio, jeans (now
      almost disintegrated from the gentle russian washing powder!), good
      warm smartwool socks, and a couple of shirts for nights out on the
      town (if that's your bag). i also bought a phone here, which is
      invaluable since i have very sporadic internet access. i'm not sure
      about the whole internet connection in a village thing--i don't know
      any volunteers who get internet on their laptops...

      i'll be seeing you all at your training, where i'll be helping out
      for a while. don't freak out TOO much about all this packing, visa,
      vacation stuff--just enjoy your last few months in luxury, surrounded
      by your family and friends! also, don't take any of steve's advice.
      there was no box to check for "pathological liar" on the PC medical
      application, so he somehow slipped through the cracks...
      have fun getting ready! jenny
    • kevin stephens
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2002
        Did everyone go on vacation or something? Is there a
        holiday I missed?..other than World Peace day...but
        that one slipped by under the guise of bullets in
        Israel, Afghanistan, Colombia, Germany, not too
        mention our grand ole' US of A. But hey I was raised
        in the serene traffic-clogged burbs.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • ke6ear
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2002
          Where is everyone? Maybe we turned every stone?

          I was wondering how everyone is doing with their Russian. I can
          count to 19 and know about 10 words... as well as an increadably
          slow reading ability.

          woo hoo!
        • ginaberko72@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2002
            are you serious???? i keep procrastinating.....i made flashcards with the
            alphabet, but have yet to glance at them. i know how to say, "how are you"
            (i think)....kak dela? and thank you is "spasibo", i believe. i am in big
            trouble if i don't start studying FAST!

            Gina Berko
          • gentlekeeper
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2002
              Okay i feel way behind here. All I've been able to memorize is the
              first half of the alphabet. Oh and someone's trying to teach me how
              to say (with proper accent) What the Hell is this? Not sure how much
              use I'll get out of that, but it's a bonding thing I
              guess..lol...Okay Scotland is great and I'm off to visit the Royal
              Mile in Edinburgh, so I'll keep checking back and see where everyone
              is.
              Jaimie

              --- In PeaceCorpsRFE@y..., "ke6ear" <marcus@h...> wrote:
              > Where is everyone? Maybe we turned every stone?
              >
              > I was wondering how everyone is doing with their Russian. I can
              > count to 19 and know about 10 words... as well as an increadably
              > slow reading ability.
              >
              > woo hoo!
            • Colin Temme
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                hello,
                my name is colin temme and this is my first email to the
                beloved peacecorpsrfe group (applause). i'm 22 years
                old, i was born in queens nyc but home is washington dc,
                and i am about to graduate from the university of
                virginia with a degree in political theory.
                i have not been able to read all of your emails because
                some of the attachments i cannot get to open with the
                schools outdated email program, but it sounds like most
                everyone in the group is coming from a diverse range of
                ages, backgrounds, and experiences, which is a plus from
                the very start. i look forward to meeting all of you and
                im sure i will be in touch over the next few weeks with
                questions (probably not too many answers though, that
                would be the blind leading the blind)as we get ready to
                leave.
                take care,
                colin

                *************************
                Colin Temme
                1538 Virginia Ave. #4
                Charlottesville, VA 22903
                (434)296-2423
                University of Virginia
                *************************
              • selfstarter
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                  i'm reading simple little passages out of the first five chapters of
                  my "teach yourself russian" book, and i think i'm up to like a 100
                  word vocabulary. i can conjugate verbs in the present tense (sort of)
                  and i know the nominative, prepositional, and accusative cases
                  (again, sort of). wish i could write in cursive, though...that
                  totally confuses me, for some reason.

                  i work at a hospital with a lot of russian employees, and i can
                  occasionally say things they understand, but more often than not, my
                  pronunciation is way off. i'm going to look for some cd's for
                  drilling the pronunciation while i'm in my car road tripping next
                  month. i have some for french, and they were quite helpful.

                  incidentally, i've been in touch by email with kirstin bebell,
                  another volunteer from colorado, and she already speaks russian well.
                  wouldn't that be nice? the first couple months in a new country when
                  you don't speak the language well are pretty tough, but that's all
                  the more motivation to learn as much as you can as quickly as
                  possible.

                  has it occured to anyone else that we'll probably all have to learn
                  how to type all over again? that'll be weird. having the 'z' and 'y'
                  in opposite positions in switzerland was bad enough.

                • ginaberko72@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2002
                    Jaimie....I am with you. Like I said, I made flashcards for myself but have
                    yet to look at them. But then I was thinking....so what if I study them....I
                    still have NO IDEA what I am supposed to sound like! I am going to invest in
                    some tapes or cd's this weekend to help!

                    I figured I would handle one adjustment at a time....my lease just ended and
                    I moved home with my parents for the first time in about 10 years.....talk
                    about adjusting..... :)

                    Gina
                  • gentlekeeper
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2002
                      Oh Gina, I feel you on the moving back home thing. i was away for
                      only 2 years and it was an adjustment coming home...and I really
                      enjoy my parents, but after making your own rules and just relaxing
                      in a place that doesn't have to be kept in their time and way was a
                      little rough. When I came back I thought I was only going to be home
                      for less than 5 months, but my invite to Bangladesh was canceled mid
                      Sept. and I ended up being at home almost a full year. <sigh> Life
                      and the good ol Peace Corps.
                      I agree with the not knowing how something sounds bit, I've decided
                      that if I study anything it'll just be learning to recognize the darn
                      letter and make a word, but I refuse to practice saying them out loud
                      till I hear someone who knows russian. Which luckily my Mom works
                      with someone from Russia so when I get back from Europe end of May
                      guess who is going to be my new best friend :o) Oh and he apparently
                      knows family and friends who are willing to house friendly peace
                      Corps people on vacation throughout Russia. BIG plus
                      Till Then, Jaimie

                    • ginaberko72@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2002
                        Jaimie....looks like me and you are gona become good friends!! :)

                        Gina