Re: [PeaceCorpsRFE] Vladivostok-Beijing?

  • Cindy Fletcher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi Robin,

      I travelled to China with some people from my group. Oh it was probably
      Christmas '98. And we didn't have any problems. We took a bus from Vlad to
      Podgranichny (the Russian border town) and jumped on a train there. There
      is a train from Vlad, it just took longer than we were willing to spend (I
      don't remember specifics). The train from Podgranichny takes you to Su Fen
      Hey (the Chinese border town). From there we took a train to Harbin (our
      goal was Southern China, so from Harbin we flew down south), but I'm sure
      they have trains to Beijing. ANd it wouldn't surprise me if the Vlad train
      is a Vlad-Beijing train. On our way back we came from Beijing (it was the
      last city on our itinerary) and I think we took a train to Harbin and then
      another one to Su Fen Hey and then a bus back to Vlad. So, the short answer
      is that it can be done, and in a matter of days. It would surprise me if
      you could get the information you're seeking anywhere but Vladivostok (the
      train station, possible a travel agent there - who can also give you visa
      info - I think Starwind (in the Morskoy hotel) travel are the people in the
      know). As for cost - China is cheap. We spent a month there, travelling
      all over the place by train/bus/airplane/taxi, buying clothes, peanut butter
      and souveniers and shipping those fun little goods (well, minus the edibles
      that weren't available in the RFE) to America, and I dropped about $1000.
      Cindy
      RFE VI

      >From: "persephone092476" <persephone092476@...>
      >To: PeaceCorpsRFE@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [PeaceCorpsRFE] Vladivostok-Beijing?
      >Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:05:41 -0000
      >
      >I know I'm totally jumping the gun here considering we haven't even
      >LEFT for Vladivostok yet, but I have some friends who are interested
      >in maybe possibley meeting me in Bejing, China after my service is
      >completed in the summer of 2004. I have looked and looked for
      >information about train travel from Vladivostok to Bejing but CAN NOT
      >find any. Does anyone (especially the RPCVs or current volunteers)
      >know where I can get this info? I know there's a good possibility I
      >won't be stationed in Vlad, but I need to pick some sort of point to
      >figure out a)how long it will take, b)how much it will cost, c)what
      >the actual route is, and d)if it is at all possible!
      >Does anyone know of a Volunteer who did this during/after his/her
      >service? Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated!!
      >
      >Robin

    • Konokwee
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        Um, yeah, its possible, since I'm writing from Beijing right now. We
        flew from Vlad to Hairbin, then from Hairbin to Beijing, I think a
        total of 3 1/2 hours air time. We're taking the train back to Hairbin
        on Thursday night, then flying back to Vlad on Friday morning. Total
        expence somewhere around $350. You can take the train all the way,
        but it takes 3 days, no problem if you have the time, but when you
        have only a week... Inexpensive here, though not as cheap as
        Thailand. Probably cheaper in the countryside. Great Wall is
        fantastic, and Beijing is just a great fun large city with friendly
        people. Gotta go, hope this helps, Steve

        --- In PeaceCorpsRFE@y..., "Cindy Fletcher" <fletchercindy@h...>

        http://messenger.msn.com