Fwd: Peace Corps Ukraine - Educators Exchange Digest Number 164

  • persephone092476@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2003
      Hey everybody,

      I'm not exactly sure why but having this guy, Jeff, represent the PC in Russia in such  a dignified manner makes me feel a little bit better.    Everybody take care, and feel free to contact me if you'd like.

      Robin
      Ukraine 2003-2005

      In a message dated 1/6/03 4:20:36 AM Central Standard Time, PCUA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      TIME Europe Magazine
      The Peace Corps' man in Moscow, Jeffrey Hay won't waste his words on
      the spying charges that have the Corps leaving Russia

      By AISHA LABI

      In Graham Greene's novel The Quiet American, a U.S. aid worker in
      1950s Saigon turns out to be a spy. The recent film version of the
      story hasn't come out yet in Russia, but Nikolai Patrushev, director
      of the FSB, the successor agency to the KGB, must be familiar with the
      plot. Last month he accused U.S. Peace Corps volunteers of illicitly
      "collecting information on the sociopolitical and economic situation
      in Russia," singling out one staffer for entering a closed zone on the
      Chinese border and a volunteer for trying to establish inappropriate
      contacts. Even in a world where Russia and the U.S. wage joint battle
      against terrorism, cold war suspicions die hard.

      If Russia feels it's no longer necessary to host the program, then
      that's fine.

      Patrushev's accusations grew into an international incident when all
      27 American Peace Corps volunteers in Russia were essentially told to
      get out of the country. Caught in the storm is Jeffrey Hay, the Corps'
      acting country director for Russia, who was informed on the day after
      Christmas that Russia would have no further use for his services or
      those of his volunteers and 24 staffers (most of them Russian). Hay
      must now help the Corps volunteers scattered throughout Russia plan
      speedy departures.

      The U.S. ambassador, Alexander Vershbow, is furious at the
      insinuations. Patrushev's comments, he says, "are outrageous, untrue
      and harmful to the work that Peace Corps volunteers are carrying on
      world-wide. We categorically reject allegations that Peace Corps
      volunteers have been engaged in spying." But in the midst of this
      verbal blizzard, Hay himself remains, well, the quiet American. He
      declines to denounce his now-inhospitable host country. "The way the
      Peace Corps works is that a host government invites us for the term
      they would like us to be there, and if they feel that it is no longer
      necessary to host the program, then that's fine," he says. "The
      Russian government has expressed appreciation for the work the Peace
      Corps has done and said that conditions in Russia have changed and
      that the need for the Peace Corps has changed."

      Hay, 34, has been with the Peace Corps for nine of the past 11 years.
      He served as a volunteer in a small Hungarian village shortly after
      graduating from St. Michael's College in Vermont with a degree in
      literature (yes, he read The Quiet American). While there he became
      fluent in Hungarian and met his wife, also a Corps volunteer, with
      whom he has a three-month-old daughter. He served as a desk officer in
      Washington and an administrative officer in Mongolia before arriving
      in Moscow last year. When his predecessor left Russia last June, Hay
      became acting country director.

      This is not his first brush with controversy. In August, 30 volunteers
      who'd been in Russia for a year were denied visa extensions. The
      Russian Education Ministry, which coordinates Corps' activities,
      "supported our requests for visas and passed them on, so it was a
      surprise when they were denied," says Hay. "We decided not to bring in
      a new group of volunteers."

      Hay's mild words are clearly designed to ease tensions. And Corps
      director Gaddi Vasquez echoes his mellow view. "We're disappointed,
      but we respect a country's right to determine the merits of volunteer
      service," he says. "This is a situation we encounter from time to
      time. Last year we closed programs where economic development has
      grown sufficiently that the countries determined that a continuation
      would be unnecessary." But when those programs, in the Baltics, were
      phased out, no one was accused of espionage.

      Hay refuses to dignify the spy charges by responding to them directly,
      stressing instead the accomplishments that over 700 Corps volunteers
      have made as teachers and mentors throughout Russia. But Patrushev, a
      friend of Vladimir Putin, is apparently not convinced. With little
      tradition of volunteerism in Russia, the one-time cold warrior may
      simply have trouble with the notion of idealistic young Americans
      coming to Russia to do good. Or maybe he's just been reading too much
      Graham Greene.

      Q&A
      What's your reaction to the explanation that the Russian government is
      ending the Peace Corps agreement simply because there is no longer an
      economic need for the program?
      I accept that. That's the way the Peace Corps works in every country.
      It's not up to us to decide what a country needs or doesn't need.

      What about the spying allegations?
      My reaction is to emphasize what Peace Corps and Peace Corps
      volunteers do, which is to come to a country for two years, learn the
      language and try to learn the culture. They go out to communities that
      have invited them and work in those communities, not only in a
      technical capacity but in a way that allows for an exchange of cultures.

      But do you deny these specific allegations?
      Again, all I can do is emphasize what Peace Corps does.
      So you won't confirm or deny the allegations?
      Right.

      You won't even address them?
      Correct.

      What legacy do you think the Peace Corps will leave in Russia?
      Our volunteers have taught over 26,000 students, they've held
      thousands of seminars, taught teachers and students and helped develop
      resource and computer centers. Communities all over Russia welcomed
      volunteers into their homes and workplaces and helped create more open
      communication between our two countries.