Books to read about EE & CA

  • Trent
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2005
      Share what you've read about Eastern Europe and Central Asia:

      Right now I'm reading:

      Chasing the Sea by TOM BISSELL. A very sobering true account of life in
      Uzbekistan by a former Peace Corps volunteer who after being sent home
      early returns to Uzbekistan to confront his past and the country that
      haunts him.

      Also reading a US government country studies book on the history of CA.
      Very dry pure info.

      Also, a few tour guides to CA. Mainly tells you how to get from one
      country to the next with a little info on each country. It's ok.
    • moriah_moore
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2005
        I haven't gotten my hands on it yet but I hear that "Bury Me
        Standing" by Isabel Fonseca is a great book about Roma in Eastern
        Europe.

        "Balkan Ghosts: A Journal Through History" by Robert D. Kaplan is
        another one that a lot of volunteers here like.

        Moriah
        BG '04-'06

        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "Trent" <studiomilam@y...>