Getting to know you...

  • Trent
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 16 8:49 AM
      Let's get to know each other! Share some info!

      Name: Trent
      Age:34
      Sex: M
      Location: Savannah, GA
      College Degree: BFA Crafts
      Present Occupation: Jeweler
      Previous Overseas Travel: Panama, Italy, Spain, France, Czech Republic,
      Jamaica, Bahamas
      What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, any 80s Alt
      music, Radiohead, Moby
      Frequently Read Author: Terry Pratchett
      To break the boredom I: go walking, read, write, or draw
      Favorite Beverage: Espresso
      Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Espresso
    • meggan thompson
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 16 10:19 AM
        Sure okay:

        Name: Meggan
        Age: just turned 25
        Sex: f
        Location:
        Bethesda, MD

        College Degree: B.A. (History and Sociology)
        Present Occupation: Starbucks Barista
        Previous Overseas Travel:
        Mexico, France, Spain, UK, Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, and Malaysia
        What's on your I-Pod?: Pshhh, IPOD?  No Mac anything for me please.  On my MP3 player I have a lot of the shins, Keane, Nada Surf, Moby, Maroon V�.
        Frequently Read Author: Dan Brown, JK Rowling, Kathy Reichs. To break the boredom I: work out, paint, download music, read, go outside�

        Favorite Beverage: Iced Caramel Macchiato
        Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Access to easy communication, espn, and some of my favorite shows (Scubs!)

        Trent <studiomilam@...> wrote:

        Let's get to know each other! Share some info!

        Name: Trent
        Age:34
        Sex: M
        Location: Savannah, GA
        College Degree: BFA Crafts
        Present Occupation: Jeweler
        Previous Overseas Travel: Panama, Italy, Spain, France, Czech Republic,
        Jamaica, Bahamas
        What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, any 80s Alt
        music, Radiohead, Moby
        Frequently Read Author: Terry Pratchett
        To break the boredom I: go walking, read, write, or draw
        Favorite Beverage: Espresso
        Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Espresso

        "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
        John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • shiebenaderet
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 16 10:44 AM
          Name: Shie ("Shy")
          Age: 26 (in 11 days so why not?)
          Sex: M
          Location: Berkeley, CA
          College Degree: B.A. (Anthro.), M.A. Educational Technology
          Present Occupation: Substitute Teacher
          Previous Overseas Travel: Canada, UK, Netherlands, Israel, South
          Africa, Swaziland, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras
          What's on your I-River?: Teach Yourself Romanian, Simply the Best
          Classical Anthems, Thelonius Monk, Assorted Rap from the mid-late 90s
          Frequently Read Author: H.G. Wells, Anything non-fiction
          To break the boredom I: Surf the world wide web, excercise, hang with
          friends/family, enjoy fine dining
          Favorite Beverage (non-alcoholic): Water
          Favorite Beverage (with sauce): Mojito
          Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Mexican
          food (the REAL kind) and the GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
        • Melody Jones
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 16 1:09 PM
            Name: Melody
            Age:24
            Sex: f
            Location: Omaha, NE
            College Degree: World Religions minor theatre/blk studies
            Present Occupation: in 6 days i'll be a pcv!
            Previous Overseas Travel: Russia
            What's on your I-Pod?: first off I LOVE MY IPOD!  old school rap (salt n peppa), violent femmes, ben folds, beatles, mitch hedburg(rip), alantis morrisette and of course TMBG!!
            Frequently Read Author: Maya Angelou, Steven king
            To break the boredom I: read, run, surf the net, pick on my 5yr old neice :-), drink beer with the girls
            Favorite Beverage: Dr Pepper
            Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: A HOT SHOWER!, aside from that my craptastic car which is being sold today and i'm letting them keep the hula hula girl hanging from the rear view...sad.

            On 4/16/05, Trent <studiomilam@...> wrote:

            Let's get to know each other! Share some info!

            Name: Trent
            Age:34
            Sex: M
            Location: Savannah, GA
            College Degree: BFA Crafts
            Present Occupation: Jeweler
            Previous Overseas Travel: Panama, Italy, Spain, France, Czech Republic,
            Jamaica, Bahamas
            What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, any 80s Alt
            music, Radiohead, Moby
            Frequently Read Author: Terry Pratchett
            To break the boredom I: go walking, read, write, or draw
            Favorite Beverage: Espresso
            Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Espresso

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            --
            Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  Shirley Chisholm
            http://harm1020.livejournal.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 16 6:36 PM
              Name: Aaron
              Age:26(as of tomorrow)
              Sex: M
              Location: Austin, TX
              College Degree: BA Computer Science
              Present Occupation: Afterschool/Summer Camp Counselor and IT operator
              Previous Overseas Travel: Italy. Do Mexico and Canada count?
              What's on your I-Pod?: Hmm, guess I'm behind the times. I did just get a
              Willie Nelson CD. I also have something of a predilection for the Rocky
              Horror Picture Show sound track, Tom Waits, Billy Joe Shaver, Billy Joel and
              the Boss.
              Frequently Read Author: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, Moses and
              the rest of the crew, Joseph Conrad, Michael Chrichton and various
              non-fiction.
              To break the boredom I: run, cycle, skate, swim, hike, stream "This American
              Life" over the internet, read, write, cook, listen to books on tape, try to
              represent particularly lengthy and cumbersome words (like cantankerous and
              langorous) with stick figures(a recent pass time brought on from teaching an
              ESL class)...
              Favorite Beverage: Tie - Lone Star (THE National Beer of Texas) and
              Ziegenbach(Another Texas favorite). Close 2nds are milk, orange juice,
              water, Shiner, MGD, Fat Tire, Guinness and just about anything on tap at the
              Waterloo Icehouse.
              Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Well, besides my
              mommy, showers and a warm climate, I will miss my bike the most. It has been
              confirmed, Georgians over the age of 10 DO NOT RIDE BIKES. I should have
              listed that on my preferences. Alas.

              >From: "Trent" <studiomilam@...>
              >To: PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [PeaceCorpsEEandCA] Getting to know you...
              >Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:49:26 -0000
              >

              >Let's get to know each other! Share some info!
              >
              >Name: Trent
              >Age:34
              >Sex: M
              >Location: Savannah, GA
              >College Degree: BFA Crafts
              >Present Occupation: Jeweler
              >Previous Overseas Travel: Panama, Italy, Spain, France, Czech Republic,
              >Jamaica, Bahamas
              >What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, any 80s Alt
              >music, Radiohead, Moby
              >Frequently Read Author: Terry Pratchett
              >To break the boredom I: go walking, read, write, or draw
              >Favorite Beverage: Espresso
              >Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Espresso

            • juliesince78
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 17 6:13 AM
                name---julie
                age----26
                sex----f
                location--maryland
                degree----modern languages and linguistics-spanish concentration
                present occupation--tech support, which i absolutely hate
                previous travel--born in canada, study abroad--mexico, vacation type
                travel in spain, france, and italy.
                where i'd really like to go---uruguay and all of south and central
                america
                on my ipod-juanes, salsa, juan luis guerra, michelle branch, it's
                only a shuffle so it's not that much
                like to read--travel narratives, nonfiction-Bordering on chaos,
                mexico's roller coaster ride to prosperity--oppenheimer. i like
                nonfiction that reads like a novel.
                when i'm bored i like--walking in the park, peoplewatching in the
                city, reading on the train...
                favorite beverage--sweet tea, beer-sol or corona w/lime
                thing i will miss the most--driving, hot showers, mexican food,
                speaking spanish
                things i'm looking forward to--learning a new language, meeting lots
                of new people, living in a new country, which are also some of the
                things that can be the most frustrating i guess.

                --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Yarbrough"

              • Amanda
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 17 3:52 PM
                  > Name: Amanda aka "thehugnkiss"
                  > Age: 23
                  > Sex: F
                  > Location: San Diego, CA
                  > College Degree: BA Journalism, minor in art
                  > Present Occupation: paper pusher
                  > Previous Overseas Travel: Sicily, Ireland, France, Mexico, Honduras, Belize,
                  the Carribean
                  > What's on your I-Pod?: Billy Joel, Maroon5, Jewel, Bon Jovi(old school), etc.
                  > Frequently Read Author: John Saul
                  > To break the boredom I: surf, read, run, hang with friends, hike...anything
                  outdoors
                  > Favorite Beverage: Coke
                  > Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: San Diego (but it'll
                  still be there in 2 years)

                  --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "Trent" <studiomilam@y...>
                  wrote:

                  > Let's get to know each other! Share some info!
                  >
                  > Name: Trent
                  > Age:34
                  > Sex: M
                  > Location: Savannah, GA
                  > College Degree: BFA Crafts
                  > Present Occupation: Jeweler
                  > Previous Overseas Travel: Panama, Italy, Spain, France, Czech Republic,
                  > Jamaica, Bahamas
                  > What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, any 80s Alt
                  > music, Radiohead, Moby
                  > Frequently Read Author: Terry Pratchett
                  > To break the boredom I: go walking, read, write, or draw
                  > Favorite Beverage: Espresso
                  > Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Espresso
                • fokhagyma_janos
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 17 6:09 PM
                    This is so much fun!

                    Name: Ramon

                    Age:22

                    Sex: M

                    Location: Okazaki, Japan (but I'm from Berkeley! Go Bears!)

                    College Degree: BA Japanese

                    Present Occupation: Translator/Interpreter

                    Previous Overseas Travel: Western Europe, Greece, Cyprus, Thailand,
                    Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea. And Japan.

                    What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one- They Might Be Giants, Shakira,
                    Kick the Can Crew, GLAY, Nobody Knows, oldies.

                    Frequently Read Author: G.G.Marquez, Murakami Haruki

                    To break the boredom I: cook, read, go walking, plan the next 10 years
                    of my life

                    Favorite Beverage: Kahlua milk

                    Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: as in,
                    thing, and not person? Probably my super-sleek Japanese cell phone.
                  • moriah_moore
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 17 11:24 PM
                      Just joined the group last week. How nice to have an easy way to
                      introduce myself :-)

                      Name: Moriah
                      Age: 23
                      Sex: F
                      Location: Zlataritsa, Bulgaria (originally from Virginia)
                      College Degree: Psychology
                      Present Occupation: PCV in the Youth Development program
                      Previous Overseas Travel: Puerto Rico, St. Martin and St. Thomas
                      hardly seem to count, especially since it was part of a cruise.
                      What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one - U2, Coldplay, REM, Indigo
                      Girls, The Postal Service, Carbon Leaf and many, many others.
                      Frequently Read Author: Eh, I read a lot but don't have a favorite
                      author. Pretty much anything recommended to me by friends and family.
                      To break the boredom I: run, write, read, watch DVDs, listen to
                      music, surf the web...
                      Favorite Beverage: Diet Dr. Pepper
                      Thing that I DO miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Aside from
                      family, friends and my cat... probably the huge variety of good food
                      available at any time, where ever you are in the States. There is
                      good food here, but the variety isn't great and it's not always easy
                      to find.
                    • Amanda
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 18 12:40 PM
                        I recognize your name...I've enjoyed perusing your website for the
                        past few months :O)

                        Amanda

                        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "moriah_moore"
                        <moriah_moore@y...> wrote:

                        > Just joined the group last week. How nice to have an easy way to
                        > introduce myself :-)
                        >
                        > Name: Moriah
                        > Age: 23
                        > Sex: F
                        > Location: Zlataritsa, Bulgaria (originally from Virginia)
                        > College Degree: Psychology
                        > Present Occupation: PCV in the Youth Development program
                        > Previous Overseas Travel: Puerto Rico, St. Martin and St. Thomas
                        > hardly seem to count, especially since it was part of a cruise.
                        > What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one - U2, Coldplay, REM, Indigo
                        > Girls, The Postal Service, Carbon Leaf and many, many others.
                        > Frequently Read Author: Eh, I read a lot but don't have a favorite
                        > author. Pretty much anything recommended to me by friends and
                        family.
                        > To break the boredom I: run, write, read, watch DVDs, listen to
                        > music, surf the web...
                        > Favorite Beverage: Diet Dr. Pepper
                        > Thing that I DO miss this most while in the Peace Corps: Aside from
                        > family, friends and my cat... probably the huge variety of good
                        food
                        > available at any time, where ever you are in the States. There is
                        > good food here, but the variety isn't great and it's not always
                        easy
                        > to find.
                      • behrenw3
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 19 8:27 AM
                          I've been lurking for a few weeks, so I figured I should finally
                          introduce myself! Also, I'm nominated for TEFL in Eastern Europe for
                          this fall (leave date between Aug. 15 and Sept. 30). Anyone else
                          going/know anything about potential countries, etc? My recruiter
                          told me that there was only one TEFL EE program leaving this fall,
                          but according to the peacecorps2 yahoogroup, there are programs
                          leaving for both Ukraine and Macedonia.

                          Anyhow, my profile...

                          Name: Sally
                          Age: 22
                          Sex: F
                          Location: East Lansing, MI
                          College Degree: BA in English, cognates in anthropology and
                          linguistics (graduation in two weeks!)
                          Present Occupation: student, soon to be a supervisor for a student
                          cleaning crew in the dorms
                          Previous Overseas Travel: none yet, Germany for a week this summer
                          What's on your I-Pod?: no I-Pod, but I like Norah Jones, Selah, Pub
                          Domain, and Simon and Garfunkel, among others
                          Frequently Read Author: Dorothy L. Sayers, Lauren F. Winner, Jane
                          Austen
                          To break the boredom I: read, think, waste time on the computer
                          Favorite Beverage: milk
                          Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace Corps: outside of
                          people, probably regular, decent-speed Internet
                        • Melody Jones

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 19 5:12 PM
                              Hi all. I'm new in this group but will be heading to
                              Armenia with my husband on June 3.

                              Name: Melissa

                              Age: 25

                              Sex: F

                              Location: Omaha, NE

                              College Degree: Media

                              Present Occupation: Writer

                              Previous Overseas Travel: England, Holland, Denmark,
                              Germany and France

                              What's on your I-Pod?: If I had one, I'd be rocking
                              the Talking Heads, M.I.A., Sleater-Kinney, The Clash
                              and Tom Waits.

                              Frequently Read Author: Amy Tan

                              To break the boredom I: Do stuff like this

                              Favorite Beverage: Pulpy orange juice, gin

                              Thing that I will miss this most while in the Peace
                              Corps: Is there ice cream in Armenia? Please say yes.
                            • moriah_moore
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 20 4:11 AM
                                The group coming to Bulgaria in August is the Youth Development
                                program and the Community and Organizational Development program. You
                                never know, though, they could change your program. Not likely, but
                                PC is always full of surprises :-)

                                Either way, congrats on the nomination!
                                Moriah

                                --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, Melody Jones
                                <melody.jones@g...> wrote:
                                > A bulgaria group leaves in August. That could be where you might be
                                going
                                > :-)
                                >
                                > On 4/19/05, behrenw3 <mercybe@h...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > I've been lurking for a few weeks, so I figured I should finally
                                > > introduce myself! Also, I'm nominated for TEFL in Eastern Europe
                                for
                                > > this fall (leave date between Aug. 15 and Sept. 30). Anyone else
                                > > going/know anything about potential countries, etc? My recruiter
                                > > told me that there was only one TEFL EE program leaving this
                                fall,
                                > > but according to the peacecorps2 yahoogroup, there are programs
                                > > leaving for both Ukraine and Macedonia.
                              • Yuta Masuda
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 5, 2005
                                  Hey everyone whats up? I just joined this group, and i know i'm kinda late in the game but
                                  here's some of my information!

                                  Name: Yuta (it's pronounced like the state Utah)
                                  Age: 22
                                  Sex: M
                                  Location: Athens, GA
                                  College Degree: Economics (graduating next week!)
                                  Present Occupation: Student
                                  Previous Overseas Travel: Japan, China, UK, Ireland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands,
                                  Germany, Austria, Czech, Hungary, Italy
                                  What's on your I-Pod? Well, to be honest, i'm a fan of kinda cheesey poppy music and
                                  random stuff. So i have lots of kylie, the format, Beatles, Cake, Coldplay, Keane,
                                  Dashboard, Eminem, JAY-Z, Frou Frou, Britney, Ciara, N.E.R.D, some random Japanese pop
                                  music...yeaaa, lots of random stuff really.
                                  Frequently Read Author: hmmm, this is a hard one. i love david sedaris books, but i also
                                  love books on politics and random nonfictions....oh, and i like harry potter too, so i guess
                                  rowling.
                                  To break the boredom: i love running (races, marathons, what have you), reading,
                                  cooking, being outside and doing random things, and my recent hobby is studying for the
                                  GRE (it's just so fun i cant stop--jk)
                                  Favorite Beverage: Well, when i have lactaid on hand i love thai iced tea, but other than
                                  that i like water.
                                  Thing that i will miss most while in the peace corps: eating out at nice restaurants, hot
                                  showers, and homemade japanese food
                                • Reid Hamel
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 5, 2005
                                    so yuta, where are you going?

                                    --- Yuta Masuda <ymasuda@...> wrote:
                                    > Hey everyone whats up? I just joined this group,
                                    > and i know i'm kinda late in the game but
                                    > here's some of my information!
                                    >
                                    > Name: Yuta (it's pronounced like the state Utah)
                                    > Age: 22
                                    > Sex: M
                                    > Location: Athens, GA
                                    > College Degree: Economics (graduating next week!)
                                    > Present Occupation: Student
                                    > Previous Overseas Travel: Japan, China, UK,
                                    > Ireland, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands,
                                    > Germany, Austria, Czech, Hungary, Italy
                                    > What's on your I-Pod? Well, to be honest, i'm a fan
                                    > of kinda cheesey poppy music and
                                    > random stuff. So i have lots of kylie, the format,
                                    > Beatles, Cake, Coldplay, Keane,
                                    > Dashboard, Eminem, JAY-Z, Frou Frou, Britney, Ciara,
                                    > N.E.R.D, some random Japanese pop
                                    > music...yeaaa, lots of random stuff really.
                                    > Frequently Read Author: hmmm, this is a hard one.
                                    > i love david sedaris books, but i also
                                    > love books on politics and random nonfictions....oh,
                                    > and i like harry potter too, so i guess
                                    > rowling.
                                    > To break the boredom: i love running (races,
                                    > marathons, what have you), reading,
                                    > cooking, being outside and doing random things, and
                                    > my recent hobby is studying for the
                                    > GRE (it's just so fun i cant stop--jk)
                                    > Favorite Beverage: Well, when i have lactaid on
                                    > hand i love thai iced tea, but other than
                                    > that i like water.
                                    > Thing that i will miss most while in the peace
                                    > corps: eating out at nice restaurants, hot
                                    > showers, and homemade japanese food

                                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                  • Yuta Masuda
                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 5, 2005
                                      il'l be going to the republic of georgia to do NGO development!
                                      where are you going? or rather, where is everyoen else going?

                                      --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, Reid Hamel

                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 17, 2005
                                        Afternoon Yuta,

                                        Do you know where you might be going ?

                                        Trent
                                        Savannah, GA
                                        Central Asia September?

                                        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "Yuta Masuda"

                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 17, 2005
                                          Hello hello,

                                          Yes, i will be going to the republic of Georgia, and i actually just got my staging packet in
                                          the mail and i will be in DC on june 13! have you found out any details on when your
                                          stagign will be?

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 19, 2005
                                            Yuta,

                                            We are nominated for Central Asia in Sept. Still waiting to clear
                                            medical, my wife has to get her wisdom teeth out. Hopefully we will
                                            get that done next week. After that we shall see. Do you goto UGA?

                                            Trent

                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 19, 2005
                                              Hey Trent,

                                              Yea, i do go to UGA...or rather...i did go to UGA. I just graduated on may 14th, and i just got
                                              back from taking the GRE. (boooo). i actually had to get my wisdom tooth pulled before
                                              medical too, so i sympathize with you on that front heh. Did you go to SCAD? (just askign
                                              ebcause it says you are in savannah...) anyway, do you have any idea which country you want
                                              to go to? No preference? Is it harder to try to be placed if you are married? Ok, good luck
                                              with aeverything!

                                              Yuta

                                              --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "Trent" <studiomilam@y...> wrote:
                                              > Yuta,
                                              >
                                              > We are nominated for Central Asia in Sept. Still waiting to clear
                                              > medical, my wife has to get her wisdom teeth out. Hopefully we will
                                              > get that done next week. After that we shall see. Do you goto UGA?
                                              >
                                              > Trent
                                            • Trent
                                              Message 22 of 22 , May 23, 2005
                                                Yuta,

                                                Congrats on the graduating. I did goto SCAD for 2 quarters for grad
                                                school. But I quickly became jaded to the self obsessed qualities of
                                                my degree. Its one of the reasons why I want to goto the PC. I want to
                                                be involved with something bigger than just making $$$.

                                                My wife & I have no preference for which country, mainly for placement
                                                purposes. It is harder to be placed as a couple. but we have always
                                                wanted to see more of the former USSR. Have a great day.

                                                Trent