Re: Agribusiness?

  • apaminerala
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2007
      I think there is something going on in Romania also.

      $--- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "zukita007" <zukita007@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello! well, I have been nominated for Business Development/Agriculture
      > in Eastern Europe. It seems like the only program of the sort in EE is
      > the Agribusiness program in Moldova. Am I correct? Is there any current
      > PCV's or RPCV's that have done Agribusiness? Were you all nominated at
      > first for Business Development/Agriculture or straight
      > out "Agribusiness"? What does this entail? I'm anxiously waiting for my
      > medical clearance and invitation, and I would like to know exactly
      > where I'll be and be doing (most likely) by September! Thanks!

    • Scott Kang
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30, 2007
        ewe... apa minerala? I still can't take that stuff even after two years of being in moldova. Apa plata, va rog or how they say it in Moldova apa fara gaz. Anyway. I'm just replying to zukita007's email since I am a current AG volunteer in the Republic of Moldova (Group 17). I'll be leaving here in October or November, but don't worry, I'll probably see you soon during your PST (training).

        The AG program is divided into four primary organzations: the first two (AGROinform and ACSA) are agricultural extension agencies and a majority of "just out of school" AG volunteers will probably end up here, so please go visit an extension agent if you have time. You get so much more respect if you know a little bit about agriculture especially advanced ag. techniques like green house, drip irrigation, etc. The last one is more important for your group since there has been a huge drought this year.

        The next two are with MicroInvest and Corporation for Rural Finance, which are small business credit organizations, which give out around $2,000 worth of credit to small agricultural businesses for a low interest rate (that means around 16% last time I checked). These slots usually go to those who have a business background or more AG experience or for the older volunteers.

        Most of the spots are located in Regional Centers and that's a huge plus for spoiled volunteers as myself, but there's not garuantee, so back well just in case. If you need any more information, but give me a holla at kangeroo82@....

        Peace,
        Scott K.

        P.S. you will most likely learn romanian if you are an AG volunteer, so start now. About 98% of AG volunteers speak Romanian.