RE: [PeaceCorpsEEandCA] EE and CA living allowances

  • Lerri Atwater
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2007
      Hey Charles,

      In Ukraine, volunteers receive living allowances separate from housing
      allowances. Living allowances vary slightly by region, but not by very
      much. Those who live in large (and therefore expensive) cities get a bit
      more. Travel allowances are generated individually-- PC researches how much
      it costs for the volunteer to get around and sets a budget for it that is
      divided up into 12 parts and sent monthly.

      The housing costs vary by program. Some volunteer programs here require the
      site to pay for the volunteer's housing. In programs where PC pays for
      housing, the exact cost of the housing is given to the volunteer. When a
      volunteer moves into housing at site, s/he informs the regional manager of
      the new rent (within limits, obviously--the manager knows approximately how
      much rents are in the area) and PC sets up this amount to send to the
      volunteer. Utilities, if not included in the rent, are calculated as an
      average and also sent to the volunteer each month.

      So what we have is three different categories:

      Living allowance-- generally the same for everyone, a little bit more for
      big cities, but not much (it pays "better" to live in a village, though the
      volunteers get less in actual money)

      Travel allowance-- individually averaged for each volunteer by site

      Housing allowance-- when not paid by site, exact rent is given plus an
      average of utility costs.

      Hope that helps,

      Lerri Atwater
      VAC Member