EE and CA living allowances

  • alexeikirillov
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2007
      At our up-coming VAC meeting we would like to propose that volunteers
      receive more money for a housing allowance based on their site (at the
      moment, some pay six times the rent others pay). To make our request
      more forceful, we are hoping to discuss how other posts have done
      this. If any of you are in countries where volunteers receive
      different allowances depending on their site, whether it be explicitly
      for housing of living in general (excluding travel allowances), please
      email me and let me know what country and a brief description of how
      it varies; for example, I know that Armenian PCVs receive a housing
      supplement dependent on the cost of their site.

      Thanks,
      Charles
      ccacciol@...
    • Lerri Atwater
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2007
        Hey Charles,

        In Ukraine, volunteers receive living allowances separate from housing
        allowances. Living allowances vary slightly by region, but not by very
        much. Those who live in large (and therefore expensive) cities get a bit
        more. Travel allowances are generated individually-- PC researches how much
        it costs for the volunteer to get around and sets a budget for it that is
        divided up into 12 parts and sent monthly.

        The housing costs vary by program. Some volunteer programs here require the
        site to pay for the volunteer's housing. In programs where PC pays for
        housing, the exact cost of the housing is given to the volunteer. When a
        volunteer moves into housing at site, s/he informs the regional manager of
        the new rent (within limits, obviously--the manager knows approximately how
        much rents are in the area) and PC sets up this amount to send to the
        volunteer. Utilities, if not included in the rent, are calculated as an
        average and also sent to the volunteer each month.

        So what we have is three different categories:

        Living allowance-- generally the same for everyone, a little bit more for
        big cities, but not much (it pays "better" to live in a village, though the
        volunteers get less in actual money)

        Travel allowance-- individually averaged for each volunteer by site

        Housing allowance-- when not paid by site, exact rent is given plus an
        average of utility costs.

        Hope that helps,

        Lerri Atwater
        VAC Member
        Youth Developer, Group 30
        Putyvl, Sumska, Ukraine

        If any of you are in countries where volunteers receive
        different allowances depending on their site, whether it be explicitly
        for housing of living in general (excluding travel allowances), please
        email me and let me know what country and a brief description of how
        it varies; for example, I know that Armenian PCVs receive a housing
        supplement dependent on the cost of their site.

        Thanks,
        Charles
        ccacciol@...

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.