Women's Day-- Moscow Times

  • Virginia
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2006

      Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:30:30 +0200
      To: PC Ukraine - Yahoo,FriendsOfUkraine@yahoogroups.com
      From: Virginia <vjpulver@...>
      Subject: Women's Day--  Moscow Times
      Bcc: Tom C (28),Caroline G (28)

      International Women's Day in Russia. (see article below)..pretty interesting attitude in this day and age huh?  Driverettes!?!

      Well, I made it through my Crimean Women's Day receiving flowers, candy, etc and some Oriflame eye cream...guess I am getting old (no deodorant though!)   Read Mark's journal for his experience - the lone male n a staff of 25 women!  Yikes!

      On a Blustery Night in Crimea

      Traffic Police to Swap Fines for Women's Day Flowers
      The Moscow Times
      []  []

      Marina Lystseva / Itar-Tass

      A woman shopping for flowers Monday. Women's Day is on Wednesday.

      Traffic police across the country will give a free pass to women drivers who commit minor traffic violations on Wednesday in honor of International Women's Day, a senior police official said Monday.

      "Traffic policemen will not darken the holiday for 'driverettes,'" Deputy Interior Minister Alexander Chekalin said at a news conference, RIA-Novosti reported. "On this spring day, representatives of the fair sex will not be punished for minor traffic violations."

      Traffic police in some regions already have a tradition of letting women drivers get away with infractions on the March 8 holiday, Chekalin said.

      "In some places they congratulate the women drivers, and in other places they even give them small presents such as festive postcards with the traffic police insignia or small bouquets of flowers," he said.

      This year, traffic police in Nizhny Novgorod and Krasnodar will present women they pull over with flowers rather than traffic tickets, RIA-Novosti and Interfax reported.