Re: Luggage

  • Virginia
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2006
      Sarah,

      You think packing your bags is tough - wait til you arrive and have nowhere
      to stow all your gear...I had more stuff than my host mother had in her
      whole closet...embarrassing!

      Allan makes good points about mobility (wheels are good!) and train travel
      too (My large bag did not fit in the storage compartment on the train - I
      am leaving it here when I leave!) His recommendation is good.

      When you pack try not to think in terms of your whole tour - think more in
      terms of getting through initial training and making a professional
      impression.

      When you get to your actual site, (about six weeks) you will have enough
      language skills to shop on the economy and you can purchase most things you
      will need as long as you are flexible. In Ukraine you can get a decent
      coat for $70 or so and can even pick up stuff in second hand shops. You
      can also have clothes mad for not too much money - nice if you have
      definite ideas or are hard to fit!

      You can have family ship stuff to you later - most people in our group
      packed a box before they left and had someone ship it once they got to
      site. Most stuff gets through.

      People live modestly here and do not have several pairs of shoes or huge
      wardrobes - they wear the same stuff over and over all season.

      We hand wash our clothes and hang them outside so I am glad I do not have
      lots of cotton and wool stuff - synthetics dry much faster.

      It is pretty nice to learn to travel light..

      It is great fun to watch people packing up to go BACK to the USA - they
      abandon alllll kinds of great stuff! 8-) (Like my huge black suitcase
      which is now a coffee table base and winter storage in our tiny living room.)

      Ginny
      On the Eastern Tip of Crimea

      EXCERPT FOLLOWS: