Re: [PeaceCorpsEEandCA] Luggage/Backpacks

  • meggan thompson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Rolling duffels and heavy duty back packs (you know the kind that look like you are ready to summit Everest) are pretty popular.
      A lot of people brought smaller backpacks for their carry on.

      Personally, I brought two rolling duffles and my regular backpack as a carry on.

      Good luck!

      Meggan
      Moldova

      umsarahjo <lilgirl_52@...> wrote:

      So for RPCVs and currect PCVs, (or even nominees:) ) what would
      everyone recommend to take to EE/CA ? How many bags (2 checked, 1 carry-
      on) backpacks, duffels, luggage, rolling?!?! this was started in the
      gerneral peacecorps group, and now im kind of panicked!

      thanks in advance,

      sarah
      waiting
      EE TEFL Sept. '06

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
      John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Allan Henderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
        You are allowed two bags to check in and one carry-on, but definitely think
        mobility. I can only speak from my experience here in Romania, but for the
        first few days we were constantly on the move and it becomes challenging to
        constantly lug heavy bags around. In addition, we do a lot of train
        traveling through-out the country and the storage on the trains is not
        conducive to large duffel bags. My advice would be:
        � Mobility} rolling suitcases/duffels
        � Think} about the kind of trips you will be taking in country and have
        appropriate luggage to fit those needs, variety of sizes
        � Large rolling duffel, large backpack, smaller backpack

        Hope this helps.

        Allan Henderson
        CED Volunteer
        Group 20
        Romania

        >From: "umsarahjo" <lilgirl_52@...>
        >To: PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [PeaceCorpsEEandCA] Luggage/Backpacks
        >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:09:38 -0000
        >

        >So for RPCVs and currect PCVs, (or even nominees:) ) what would
        >everyone recommend to take to EE/CA ? How many bags (2 checked, 1 carry-
        >on) backpacks, duffels, luggage, rolling?!?! this was started in the
        >gerneral peacecorps group, and now im kind of panicked!
        >
        >thanks in advance,
        >
        >sarah
        >waiting
        >EE TEFL Sept. '06

      • Melody Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2006
          I brought two rolling suitcases and then a carry on back pack.  Everyone needs a regular sized backpack for weekend trips and stuff like that.  I've found that I can pack for an entire week in a regular school sized backpack.

          The big luggage hasnt seen the light of day since I got to country.  I've not once used it (except when i went to the states for xmas) and most likely wont till i pack it up to go home.  So my advice is use whatever gets you here and dont worry about buying new luggage for the peace corps.

          Melody
          Bulgaria

          --
          Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  Shirley Chisholm

          Address:
          Mihail Delev
          (for Melody Jones)
          Georgi Dimitrov Str. block 65
          apt.3, floor 1
          Chirpan 6200
          Bulgaria
        • umsarahjo
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2006
            thanks for all the great advice :) im sure ill have a ton more
            questions when i get my country (which is HOPEFULLY soon!)

            sarah
            waiting
            EE/CA TEFL Sept. '06