Re: [PeaceCorpsEEandCA] debts and graduation

  • Melody Jones
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      First off, you can totally get through school.  Just do it! The semester is almost over.

      Second, debt....Fuck!  I hear your pain girl :-)  I'm leaving this month and I still havent paid it all off yet, but fortunatly it will be by the time i leave.  It sucked but I have been working 60+ hours a week to get this paid off.  But the way I see it, my debt = my problem.  I just dont feel right asking family to help me pay off my credit card.

      Third, my advice is sell your car.  2+ years is a long time to be sitting on a car that you are not using, esp if you need the money.  If you start early, you might be able to sell it for what you want.  It's completely worth a try.  In the mean time STUDY YOUR BUTT OFF and finish school.

      My mom is full of advice regarding peace corps and money issues.  I am concerned about getting a laptop and she tells me to finance it.  "Umm how am I supposed to pay it off mom?"  her reply, "Well you can get interest free financing for 12 months" my reply, "It doesnt matter b/c after i quit my job 12 months isnt going to make a huge difference in me being able to pay it off.  No income means no income!!"  If i listened to everything my mother said, I would be in a much higher debt than I can even imagine.  So my advice on the mother topic is, always listen to your mother, but in the end, do what you think is the right thing.  You are the one afterall who must live with your decisions.

      Melody
      bulgaria 04/05

      On Apr 3, 2005 6:41 AM, juliesince78 <juliesince78@...> wrote:

      Hey! All of you guys (or it seems mostly girls!) are great so I'm
      just gonna open up here for a moment about my worries. I am having
      such a hard time organizing my debt and I feel like I'm drowning and
      how am I ever going to be ready to leave in September?!?! I'm going
      to defer my student loans but I feel like I'm never going to pay off
      my credit cards and what in the world will I do with my car. Come
      September, I will still owe about 6000 on it but I have a hard time
      believing anyone would pay that much for it because it is busted, not
      to mention it already has over 100,000 miles on it. I'm going to go
      by carmax and see what they offer me but I have a feeling it will be
      less than I owe and that will just add to my credit card debt. To
      complicate matters worse, my mom is against me selling it, she thinks
      it's stupid, I should pay it off somehow before I go because what
      will I do when I get back if I dont have a car, how will I find a
      job, what if I get sent back early, what if my program is cancelled
      and any other number of slim possibilities. I know that I can go
      ahead without her and sell it but having her approval makes things a
      whole lot easier, not to mention she's not thrilled with my decision
      to go into the peace corps. I am also so worried about school. I know
      I shouldnt be as worried about this but if I dont graduate I would
      have to go to school for yet another semester and defer pc. You think
      this would be motivation to bust my ass in school and it is but it
      isnt. I'm taking this stupid spanish literature class that I failed
      last year and of course I have the same professor because he's the
      only one who teaches it. So far I'm doing fine in the class but I
      just worry that I'm going to screw up a paper or I dont know. Then I
      have this other lit class that I have an incomplete in from last
      semester. So now, I'm trying to organize that with another professor
      and he's terribly absentminded and it's already april and we havent
      met once. I"ve emailed him dozens of times and he finally emails me
      back and I didnt check my email until saturday and he wanted to meet
      on friday. Ultimately, I know its my responsibility to be on him so i
      can get a grade for this class so i have no excuse for putting it off
      but I feel like I'm never going to finish school, i'm going to be in
      college for the rest of my life, and will the pc take me without a
      degree?? =) I really want to quit school if i dont make it this
      semester. so maybe i'm exaggerating , but it feels good to get this
      off my chest! sorry for rambling...

      julie

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      --
      Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  Shirley Chisholm
      http://harm1020.livejournal.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        it is the pinching that is so hard. i dont see it being difficult
        once
        i'm in the peace corps but here there are so many distractions and
        everyone wants you to spend spend spend. all of my friends want me to
        go on seperate trips with them before i leave and theres no way when
        i'm supposed to be paying off bills. and its not like i dont want to
        go on a trip but i cant go on four vacations!

        parents are really hard to convince. nothing will convince my mom
        that
        it is a good idea, she's too set in her ways. she doesnt try to stop
        me from going, she just doesnt support it, like i know she would
        never
        come visit me. everyone else in my life thinks its great even if they
        think its something they would never in a million years do.

        the more i try to not spend the more i want to. in planning for
        leaving for the pc i have accumulated a mountain of "things" i just
        have so much stuff and i know its not good. everyone says, dont
        overpack and i'm usually not that bad but i feel like being gone so
        long and away, i should just bring it all with me. i've scoured other
        peoples sites and ended up with the mother of all packing lists. its
        like 7 pages.

        thanks for the school pep talk, staying motivated is the hardest
        part for me.
        i know it will all work out but venting to you all and knowing you're
        going through the same stuff makes me feel better =)

        julie

        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, Melody Jones

      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
          I most definately understand where you're coming from, although I must say I still
          have quite some time before I leave. Nonetheless, it seems like my debt will never
          be paid off in time...I'm planning on working crazy overtime before I go.

          On the parents issue...I ALWAYS feel like they doubt my ability to follow through
          with something so huge. It's disappointing, but at the same time it's more of a
          reason to go through with it. I have a strong desire to prove to people that I know
          what's right for me. Sometimes you can't rely on other people for support, you just
          have to go with your gut.

          As for your school situation...I graduated two years ago, and believe me...I went
          through the same exact situation. It took me four FULL years to get done, including
          many summers and winters of schooling because I kept screwing up or changing my
          major. It felt like I would never be done and I totally felt like quitting. But trust me,
          the minute they hand you that diploma you will be soooo glad that you stuck with it!

          Good luck and we're all here if you need to vent some more :o)

          Amanda
          EE-Feb.2006

          --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "juliesince78" <juliesince78@g...>