Teacher Trainer

  • hellolindalu
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2006
      Hello everyone,
      I am a nominee who is supposed to head out in August-Sept. 2006 for
      EE/CA, country unknown. As I peruse the databases available, I don't
      see anyone in any of these countries who is allegedly doing Teacher
      Training. Can any of you speak to that?
      Thanks,
      Linda
    • Danielle
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2006
        Linda,
        My invitation invited me to do teacher training in Macedonia. Once I got here I realized
        that that wasn't goign to happen. We are trained to teach English in the public schools and
        our placements are all schools who are told they will be getting an English teacher. We all
        have counterparts and are expected to team teach although there are a few volunteers
        who teach English to adults (the teachers in the school). I was pretty disappointed and a
        number of us felt misled by our invitation. I, like most of the others who were uspet,
        sucked it up and am team teaching in a middle school but one volunteer changed his
        assignment to work in community development. I don't enjoy teaching but enough other
        things balance my life here to make it tips towards me being happy.

        That's a little glimpse into the education sector here. If you want to teacher train I hope
        the same thing doesn't happen to you.

        Danielle

        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "hellolindalu" <hellolindalu@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        > I am a nominee who is supposed to head out in August-Sept. 2006 for
        > EE/CA, country unknown. As I peruse the databases available, I don't
        > see anyone in any of these countries who is allegedly doing Teacher
        > Training. Can any of you speak to that?
        > Thanks,
        > Linda

      • hellolindalu
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006
          Hi Danielle,
          Thanks for the insight. Is Igor your P.O.? I understand about sucking
          it up and just team teaching, but I would feel disappointed too. There
          were other assignments I might have gone for.
          Linda
        • hellolindalu
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
            Hello again Danielle,
            When did you start your PCT assignment in Macedonia? I'm wondering if
            I might be in the same program. I'd also like to know about your
            living conditions.....do you have your own flat or are you with a
            family?
            Thanks for the info,
            Linda
          • Danielle
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 23, 2006
              Training starts here in September. We live in villages with a host families while training
              (first three months). My husband and I got placed in Skopje (the capital) and now we have
              our own apartment. It is a one bedroom in the center on the tenth floor. We get a lot of
              high-rise apartment jokes. We have central heating, cable, cable internet, and a washing
              machine. Our conditions are great and we really like our apartment.

              Everyone in Macedonia lives in a furnished 'apartment'. Some of them are parts of houses
              while the rest are apartment buildings. You might be able to live with a host family if you
              want but I don't think that has ever happened. There is a requirement of a seperate
              outside entrance if you live in a house apartment. PC gives out electric heaters and
              distillers for water.

              Hope that helps,