Contact Lenses

  • Kirstin Webster
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hello everyone!

      I've been wearing contacts for the past 9 years---I know the Peace Corps literature suggests bringing 2 pairs of glasses and basically that if a PCV chooses to bring contacts it's at their own risk and it will be their own responsibility to supply solution, etc. I'll be serving in Romania, and I'm contemplating accepting these responsibilities.

      So, for those of you currently serving, do any of you wear contacts? If so, have you had problems with the cleanliness of local water or any other health-related complications with your contacts? Do any of your sitemates/fellow PCVs wear contacts?

      And for those of you who are fellow invitees, are any of you planning on bringing contacts?

      thanks!

    • meggan thompson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Statistically someone on here should have more first hand experience, I’m sure you will hear back form someone :o) Until then...
        I don’t wear contacts, but 7 of the 9 people in my training village did!
        The water is going to be questionable!!!
        Make sure you bring plenty of contact solution and have it as a recurring item for care packages.
        I would bring at least one pair of glasses for when your eyes need a break (or if you do get an eye infection) you can have a reprieve…

        Good luck!

        Meggan
        Moldova

        Kirstin Webster <mekana_maedchen@...> wrote:
        Hello everyone!

        I've been wearing contacts for the past 9 years---I know the Peace Corps literature suggests bringing 2 pairs of glasses and basically that if a PCV chooses to bring contacts it's at their own risk and it will be their own responsibility to supply solution, etc. I'll be serving in Romania, and I'm contemplating accepting these responsibilities.

        So, for those of you currently serving, do any of you wear contacts? If so, have you had problems with the cleanliness of local water or any other health-related complications with your contacts? Do any of your sitemates/fellow PCVs wear contacts?

        And for those of you who are fellow invitees, are any of you planning on bringing contacts?

        thanks!

        "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
        John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

      • Kirstin Webster
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2006
          Thanks for your response, Meggan! It's interesting to know that so many people in your training group wore contacts. If I decide to bring contacts, I'll certainly be careful, and aware of my heightened risk for infection--and of course I'll also bring glasses. :)

          Best,
          Kirstin

          http://mail.yahoo.com