Re: graduation and piercings

  • blue_waterlili
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      Ps. I encountered the same situation as Becka mentioned in her
      our program managers felt that we should be as professional and well-
      dressed as possible (no extra piercings, long hair, tatoos, etc.).

      But, as I mentioned in my first post, once you get to site and get to
      know your community, you may find that it's not a big deal. All the
      more reason to wear a clear stud if you really want to keep your
      piercing until you can assess the situation better.

      I completely understand PC's stance, but my personal opinion is that
      as volunteers we should be able to represent what it means to be
      American (in addition to our work/volunteer duties) - which includes
      showing the diversity and acceptance of all kinds of people in
      American culture. Here in China, people have such a limited and
      narrow view of what America is and what it means to be American that
      I think having as much diversity as possible among volunteers is a
      positive thing (i.e. because I have brown hair and eyes, I
      occasionally am asked if I'm a "pure" American, LOL).

      Again, may be completely different in EE/CA.

      -mkt;-)

      --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "blue_waterlili"
      <blue_waterlili@y...> wrote:

      > Hey all,
      >
      > China PCV here - just been purusing this blog for CA travel info.
      > Just wanted to pass on my experience with piercings, although it
      may
      > be different for you guys in EE & CA.
      >
      > I highly recommend bringing a few clear nose studs with you. I wore
      > clear stud all through PST and for the first couple months at
      site.
      > Once I got to know people in my community and felt comfortable, I
      put
      > back my small diamond nose stud. People here in China/Asia
      generally
      > view it as beautiful and interesting, but then again, I stand out
      so
      > much anyway that I am stared at no matter what I do.
      >
      > PC staff didn't have a problem with my piercing after I had been in
      > my community and site for a while, BUT...they did make other PCVs
      in
      > my group take theirs out if they weren't wearing a clear stud at
      PST.

> [...]
      > it's possible that PC policies have changed a bit because
      leadership
      > has changed, or it could be a matter of in-country leadership. This
      > is all anecdotal from me, of course, but I did have a buddy with me
      > in Romania who did not, in fact, finish his degree as he said he
      was
      > going to. (I have no idea why he didn't, but I guess he figured he
      > could get away with it.) Everyone at PC just assumed that he had it
      > and that was the end of it. In fact, this could be the reason for
      > Amanda's experience -- perhaps PC management decided to be a little
      > bit more on top of this and not just give people the benefit of the
      > doubt.
      > >
      > > As far as piercings are concerned, when I was in PST in the
      > summer of 2001, my program managers asked me to take out my small
      and
      > rather subtle nose stud. I was a TEFLer and they felt that the
      school
      > that they were assigning me to would not be kosher with a nose
      stud.
      > Other Romania volunteers in other sectors were allowed to keep
      their
      > piercings. I don't know if I would have been terminated if I had
      left
      > my stud in and I have to say I was really irritated about taking it
      > out, but I also knew that joining Peace Corps would require some
      > sacrifices on my part and I got over it. Once I was at site I
      > realized that my program managers were right and that they really
      did
      > have my best interests in mind. Times have changed and all Eastern
      > European nations are becoming increasingly liberal in their views,
      > and the Ukrainians may be more open-minded about these things, but
      > would be prepared for every eventuality.
      > >
      > > I hope this helps -- but probably it doesn't!
      > >
      > > All the best,
      > > BECKA
      > >
      > > Amanda <alnddscad@y...> wrote:
      > > From what I've heard they will still mail out your invite
      despite
      > you not having
      > > your degree in hand. But, they will also not hesitate to take it
      > away if you fail to
      > > receive your degree. And they will probably ask for another copy
      of
      > your
      > > transcripts once you've received your degree.
      > >
      > > As for the piercing...I hope it's not too much of a problem
      because
      > I have the
      > > same thing and I'm leaving for Ukraine in less than two months :o)
      > >
      > > Amanda
      > >
      > > --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "umsarahjo" <
      > > lilgirl_52@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > question:
      > > >
      > > > im medically cleared and just waiting on an invitation now.
      > currently
      > > > it is too early for me to get one (im nom. for fall of 06) my
      PO
      > said
      > > > that he would start looking at those files in February. Im in
      my
      > last
      > > > semester of college and was just wondering whether or not
      theyll
      > wait
      > > > to send out my invitation until after Ive already graduated?
      > (there's
      > > > no chance that im not graduating) but nevertheless, will this
      > affect
      > > > them sending it out, my having the degree or not? thanks!
      > > >
      > > > sarah
      > > >
      > > > ps- does anyone know where i can read on how the east. european
      > > > countries view piercings (i have a small nose piercing, just a
      > diamond
      > > > stud) how does the peace corps view such piercings?

      > > Eastern europe United states Inner peace Peace
      lily