Re: graduation and piercings

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2005
      From what I've heard they will still mail out your invite despite you not having
      your degree in hand. But, they will also not hesitate to take it away if you fail to
      receive your degree. And they will probably ask for another copy of your
      transcripts once you've received your degree.

      As for the piercing...I hope it's not too much of a problem because I have the
      same thing and I'm leaving for Ukraine in less than two months :o)

      Amanda

      --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "umsarahjo" <
      lilgirl_52@h...> wrote:

      > question:
      >
      > im medically cleared and just waiting on an invitation now. currently
      > it is too early for me to get one (im nom. for fall of 06) my PO said
      > that he would start looking at those files in February. Im in my last
      > semester of college and was just wondering whether or not theyll wait
      > to send out my invitation until after Ive already graduated? (there's
      > no chance that im not graduating) but nevertheless, will this affect
      > them sending it out, my having the degree or not? thanks!
      >
      > sarah
      >
      > ps- does anyone know where i can read on how the east. european
      > countries view piercings (i have a small nose piercing, just a diamond
      > stud) how does the peace corps view such piercings?

    • Rebeka Fergusson-Lutz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1 8:06 AM
        Hi, all.

        Although I have no doubt that Amanda's experiences are true and don't want to contradict her, I have to say that my experience in Romania was a little different. I served between 2001 and 2003, so it's possible that PC policies have changed a bit because leadership has changed, or it could be a matter of in-country leadership. This is all anecdotal from me, of course, but I did have a buddy with me in Romania who did not, in fact, finish his degree as he said he was going to. (I have no idea why he didn't, but I guess he figured he could get away with it.) Everyone at PC just assumed that he had it and that was the end of it. In fact, this could be the reason for Amanda's experience -- perhaps PC management decided to be a little bit more on top of this and not just give people the benefit of the doubt.

        As far as piercings are concerned, when I was in PST in the summer of 2001, my program managers asked me to take out my small and rather subtle nose stud. I was a TEFLer and they felt that the school that they were assigning me to would not be kosher with a nose stud. Other Romania volunteers in other sectors were allowed to keep their piercings. I don't know if I would have been terminated if I had left my stud in and I have to say I was really irritated about taking it out, but I also knew that joining Peace Corps would require some sacrifices on my part and I got over it. Once I was at site I realized that my program managers were right and that they really did have my best interests in mind. Times have changed and all Eastern European nations are becoming increasingly liberal in their views, and the Ukrainians may be more open-minded about these things, but I would be prepared for every eventuality.

        I hope this helps -- but probably it doesn't!

        All the best,
        BECKA

        From what I've heard they will still mail out your invite despite you not having

        lilgirl_52@h...> wrote:

        > question:
        >
        > im medically cleared and just waiting on an invitation now. currently
        > it is too early for me to get one (im nom. for fall of 06) my PO said
        > that he would start looking at those files in February. Im in my last
        > semester of college and was just wondering whether or not theyll wait
        > to send out my invitation until after Ive already graduated? (there's
        > no chance that im not graduating) but nevertheless, will this affect
        > them sending it out, my having the degree or not? thanks!
        >
        > sarah
        >
        > ps- does anyone know where i can read on how the east. european
        > countries view piercings (i have a small nose piercing, just a diamond
        > stud) how does the peace corps view such piercings?

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • blue_waterlili
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2 9:38 PM
          Hey all,

          China PCV here - just been purusing this blog for CA travel info.
          Just wanted to pass on my experience with piercings, although it may
          be different for you guys in EE & CA.

          I highly recommend bringing a few clear nose studs with you. I wore a
          clear stud all through PST and for the first couple months at site.
          Once I got to know people in my community and felt comfortable, I put
          back my small diamond nose stud. People here in China/Asia generally
          view it as beautiful and interesting, but then again, I stand out so
          much anyway that I am stared at no matter what I do.

          PC staff didn't have a problem with my piercing after I had been in
          my community and site for a while, BUT...they did make other PCVs in
          my group take theirs out if they weren't wearing a clear stud at PST.

          So, my advice is to wear a clear stud until/if you feel comfortable
          wearing it once you get to your site. Just depends on the
          country/situation though I assume.

          -mkt

          --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, Rebeka Fergusson-Lutz
          <rebekafergussonlutz@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > it is too early for me to get one (im nom. for fall of 06) my PO
          said
          > > that he would start looking at those files in February. Im in my
          last
          > > semester of college and was just wondering whether or not theyll
          wait
          > > to send out my invitation until after Ive already graduated?
          (there's
          > > no chance that im not graduating) but nevertheless, will this
          affect
          > > them sending it out, my having the degree or not? thanks!
          > >
          > > sarah
          > >
          > > ps- does anyone know where i can read on how the east. european
          > > countries view piercings (i have a small nose piercing, just a
          diamond
          > > stud) how does the peace corps view such piercings?

          > Eastern europe United states Inner peace Peace lily

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------

        • blue_waterlili
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2 9:52 PM
            Ps. I encountered the same situation as Becka mentioned in her
            our program managers felt that we should be as professional and well-
            dressed as possible (no extra piercings, long hair, tatoos, etc.).

            But, as I mentioned in my first post, once you get to site and get to
            know your community, you may find that it's not a big deal. All the
            more reason to wear a clear stud if you really want to keep your
            piercing until you can assess the situation better.

            I completely understand PC's stance, but my personal opinion is that
            as volunteers we should be able to represent what it means to be
            American (in addition to our work/volunteer duties) - which includes
            showing the diversity and acceptance of all kinds of people in
            American culture. Here in China, people have such a limited and
            narrow view of what America is and what it means to be American that
            I think having as much diversity as possible among volunteers is a
            positive thing (i.e. because I have brown hair and eyes, I
            occasionally am asked if I'm a "pure" American, LOL).

            Again, may be completely different in EE/CA.

            -mkt;-)

            --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "blue_waterlili"