Re: Question on invitations...

  • Danielle
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
      my two cents
      I know we had someone in our group recieve their invitation in late January or February
      because I met her at a birthday party (and the birthday is Feb 2 so it had to be early
      February) but my husband and I dind't get ours until July. Incidentally the day before our
      wedding. I couldn't imagine saying NO we don't know where we're going to 250 people!
      This way we just ran around yelling Macedonia! Oh,our staging started on Sept. 6.

      I have some guesses as to why some go out way earlier than others.
      Apparently I like to try to give complicated answers so I'm going to try to explain it well. I
      don't have much conifdence in my writing skills though!

      Here (Macedonia) the in country staff doesn't have placements for most people until they
      are already training. (I'd say 95%) So you site isn't REALLY tailored to you until you get to
      country (if at all) and they interview you and try to match you with a sight (they are even
      still working on finding suitable sites for volunteers). Rarely some people have a specific
      skills set that allows the staff to place you before you even get to country and I believe this
      is what makes some placements go out so early. This was the case with my birthday party
      friend and another volunteer that I can think of. This is all of course how things seem to
      work in Macedonia and I've heard stories about how different every country training is. But
      it gives you a little something to consider.

      Danielle

      --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "racheljoy75" <racheljoy75@y...> wrote:

      > Hey All -
      >
      > Just a question because I was reading some previous emails - isn't it
      > a bit early for the Aug/Sep 06 group to expect invitations? I'm
      > nominated for that time frame, am medically/legally cleared and from
      > reading other posts and timelines was under the impression you don't
      > receive your invite until about 3 months before, sometimes 1 month
      > before departure? Is this right?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > -Rachel

    • meggan thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
        I received my invitation in mid February.  Staging was set for June 4th.
        My friend got hers in January; she also had staging in June.
        I don’t know what the “average” is.
        Maybe I’ll do a poll in PC4WOMEN and find out :op (I’ll report mt findings here)
        Good luck!

        Meggan

        --- In PeaceCorpsEEandCA@yahoogroups.com, "racheljoy75" wrote:

        > Hey All -
        >
        > Just a question because I was reading some previous emails - isn't it
        > a bit early for the Aug/Sep 06 group to expect invitations? I'm
        > nominated for that time frame, am medically/legally cleared and from
        > reading other posts and timelines was under the impression you don't
        > receive your invite until about 3 months before, sometimes 1 month
        > before departure? Is this right?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > -Rachel

        Help the victims of the Pakistan/India earthquake rebuild their lives.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/it0YpD/leGMAA/E2hLAA/q20olB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
        John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

        Yahoo! Photos
      • Rachel Sorensen
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
          Thank you guys for the replies. Incidentally I got a call from my PO today saying he'd start reviewing my file in February since I'm medically/legally cleared already. Who knows - maybe I'll leave even earlier than September! That would be cool too! :)

          -Rachel