Romania Shout Out

  • Gabby
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2005
      Not sure when the new RO volunteers will be summoned but myself and
      Lara are currently serving here. Both of us are cool and probably
      willing to talk with you if you've got questions. Romania has it's ups
      and downs but for the most part is interesting. If you come here
      you'll buy and cell phone and wish you'd brought some warmer clothes.
      But you can buy anything at a second hand store. And buy smokes to
      give to the wagon drivers in exchange for a ride, or so i hear.

      Gabby
      Romania, 2005-2007
      Institutional Development
    • meggan thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2005

        I’m curious about what the PCMO’s are telling you about bird flu, given that Romania has been in the news so much (generally they only things that are synonymous with Romania are Dracula and gymnasts).  It has not come to Moldova yet, but our PCMO’s said that they will update us in the event it infects humans in the area.

        Since you guys are in the thick of it... Oh and are friends and family freaking out?  People keep forwarding stuff to me and asking me about it...

        Your neighbour, Meggan

        Gabby <gktemplet@...> wrote:

        Not sure when the new RO volunteers will be summoned but myself and
        Lara are currently serving here. Both of us are cool and probably
        willing to talk with you if you've got questions. Romania has it's ups
        and downs but for the most part is interesting. If you come here
        you'll buy and cell phone and wish you'd brought some warmer clothes.
        But you can buy anything at a second hand store. And buy smokes to
        give to the wagon drivers in exchange for a ride, or so i hear.

        Gabby
        Romania, 2005-2007
        Institutional Development

        "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
        John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

      • Melody Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2005
          I also am curious about what the PCMO's are saying.  Not only in Romania, but in all of the region.  In Bulgaria, they havent said anything which I find to be odd b/c all of our neighbors have avian flu except one.

          Melody
          Bulgaria

          Gabby < gktemplet@...> wrote:

          Not sure when the new RO volunteers will be summoned but myself and
          Lara are currently serving here. Both of us are cool and probably
          willing to talk with you if you've got questions. Romania has it's ups
          and downs but for the most part is interesting. If you come here
          you'll buy and cell phone and wish you'd brought some warmer clothes.
          But you can buy anything at a second hand store. And buy smokes to
          give to the wagon drivers in exchange for a ride, or so i hear.

          Gabby
          Romania, 2005-2007
          Institutional Development

          "Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind."
          John F. Kennedy, Speech to UN General Assembly, Sept. 25, 1961

          Eastern europe United states Inner peace
          Peace lily

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth.  Shirley Chisholm

          Address:
          Mihail Delev
          (for Melody Jones)
          Georgi Dimitrov Str. block 65
          apt.3, floor 1
          Chirpan 6200
          Bulgaria
        • Gabby K. Templet

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 2005

              Yeah, I hope all this hype will all turn out just that, hype.

              Can you imagine the consequences of an airborne plague today?

              I have been reading about it though, if you look at the procedures that occur once the virus is identified, It makes me wonder whether it would be under-reported in certain regions.  I mean if you report a sick or dead bird, suddenly people start gassing birds within a 15 kilometer radius, you can forget about selling chicken or eggs at the local market, etc.  It would hurt an already fragile economy.

              ~ Meggan