Re: Denver Broncos Postseason collapse

  • bldvl00
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
      Good point regarding Elway/Davis. McGahee did an admirable job before injury this year but he is obviously no Davis. Still, it is rare to have both a game-changing qb and rb in the same backfield. We Bronco fans were spoiled back in the day!

      Likewise, good observation regarding two special teams touchdowns keeping us in the game which normally would have broken it open. I also believed that the defense had become a strength but using the benefit of hindsight an arguement can be made that the defense may not have been as good as it appeared. I'm referring to Manning controlling the offense, keeping the defense off the field for long stretches, building sizable leads making opposing offenses one-dimensional, which played to the strength of our defense, namely the pass rush (which was perplexingly absent for the most part in the playoff game), etc, etc. A good pass rush masks deficiencies in the secondary.

      You are right that winning 11 in a row is impressive against any competition. Before the season I would have been happy with an improvement from 8-8 to 10-6 and playoffs again. 13-3 raised expectations which made the playoff loss so devastating. Still, if a play was made here or there and had the Broncos squeaked by with a win over Baltimore then we likely would not be having this conversation.

      With all of that said, I feel the Broncos are close to being a superbowl contender again next year. Unlike 2011, when we seemed to be winning with smoke and mirrors at times, this year's team had a much more solid foundation. The offense could use a good rb who can make the tough yardage and mostly stay off the injured list. Re-signing Clady is imperative and continued healing of Manning's nerve damage cannot be overlooked. Agreed that continued rebuilding of the defense must occur. The defense could use a replacement for 92 year old Keith Brooking, a stout, run-stuffing DT via draft or free agency would help, and despite being burned like toast last weekend, I feel Bailey remains a good cb just not the lockdown cb he used to be. There's a lot to look forward to next year.

      Dan