Re: Game Flaw? Or thinking flaw?

  • John Reeder
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2012
      One tweak I thought of was making the once-in-each-series-of-downs rule variable, subject to the defensive team's selection.

      That is, the default would be the Draw Play and the Screen Pass can only be called once in each series of downs. However, before the game starts, a defense against another team could decide that the other team is restricted to, e.g., the End Run and Screen Pass once in each series of downs. This could also be adjusted at half time.

      It's possible that this tweak might also need a tweak of sorts, of course, such as to preclude a defense from saying the Line Plunge and Off Tackle run are the two once-a-series plays. Maybe the plays would need to be grouped, e.g., Group One (Line Plunge and Off Tackle), Group Two (End Run and Draw Play), Group Three (Screen Pass and Short Pass), and Group Four (Medium Pass and Long Pass), and the defense can pick one play each out of two of the four groups for the once-a-series restriction.

      If you're using a computer version, the play limitation counter is probably the best. My suggestion is if you're using charts and dice, and don't want to keep a tally sheet on plays called.
    • Ron Pisarz, Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2012
        Agree, John.

        For the face to face WBC tournament this year we used your default selection
        limiting the Draw and Screen to once per possession to alleviate the
        bookkeeping for tracking all plays. Our online league used the quota system
        for all plays since the PC game does all the work for you. My recommendation
        for board game players is the person not keeping time could keep tally on
        play counts.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 4, 2012
          Where would one get the total play calls for a team per play per game? What happens when the total plays called by a team in a given exceeds the number of plays called by a team on average? Perhaps the percentage of times a given play was called should be information added to the charts, at the top of the column?

          For my solitaire league, I found a problem similar to the poster who mentioned a San Francisco 49ers' chart that ate everyone up throwing long passes. Playing with early 1970s run-dominated charts, I found that the Medium Pass (and, to a lesser extent, the Long Pass) could eat up yards unrealistically. So I put restrictions on.

          I already use the Draw Play and Screen Pass once-a-series rule (that was with the instructions), the Sideline Pass only in the last two minutes of a half rule (per the instructions), the Medium Pass not inside the five and Long Pass not inside the 15 rules (per the instructions), and a no-play-twice-in-a-row-during-the-first-28-minutes-of-a-half rule (my own addition).

          For Medium and Long Passes, the rule I use for solitaire is that they ordinarily can only be thrown on 3rd and 4th downs, with the following exceptions: (1) can be thrown on any down if the offense needs 15 or more yards; (2) can be thrown on any down if the offense trails by 10 or more points; (3) can be thrown on any down in the last two minutes of either half; or (4) can be thrown on any down if the offense forfeits a timeout. Works for me.
        • Ron Pisarz, Jr.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2012
            John-

            I use the maximum per-game, per-play totals for each team. I have the data
            going back to 2005, but only started providing the chart with the 2011
            season.