Early vs later charts

  • snowgoal
    Message 1 of 6 , May 10, 2012
      Hi Everyone. New to the Paydirt Board.Ready to get rollin with this game again!
      I need to know if later Paydirt charts are compatible with the first editions of Sports Illustrated Pro Football, or do alterations need to be made? I have a 1970 edition Of SI Pro football, and am hoping I can use the Paydirt charts that came later, both under the name of SI and AH.
      Thanks for any help!
    • classicpaydirt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2012
        Hello, welcome to the group. Summer is a ittle slow on this site. It picks up in the fall. No, most different seasons of paydirt charts are not compatible with each other. From seasons about 1983 to 1983 no effort was even made to design an accurate chart. Instead they just took other previously created chart and put them under a different team name. EXAMPLE: They might have put the 1981 lions run chart 1980 redskins pass chart, 1986 giants run defense chart, 1980 raiders pass defense chart, 1979 steelers special teams chart all together and called it the 1985 CHICAGO BEARS TEAM CHART. Absolutely pathetic. Do a ggogle search and enter PAYDIRT GREAT TEAMS. It should be first on the list. You can then go to the Darrin Hunter REDZONE site. You can get sets of CLASSIC PAYDIRT GRAT TEAMS CHARTS ON THAT SITE. The charts were designed form the same formula. You can match up the greatest teams from 1960 through the 2010 season. You can go to the files section of this site and print out 8 CLASSIC PAYDIRT GREAT TEAMS CHARTS for free. -JOE SCHMITT :-)

      • uriah_jones@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2012
          Hi, first post here. I've played for a number of years but only have the '83,'88, '90 Paydirt charts but have the 2010 RedZone charts. It seems to me that the newer charts better reflect some of the "randomness" of football... i.e. you call your run stop defense and they do sometimes still get positive yardage. Same on the pass defense. The older charts also seem to have very much higher power running games... and maybe that is accurate. But seems to be the '88 Bears were not averaging almost 9yds/carry which they do on their chart. Overall I've really enjoyed the newer charts more. But am interested in expanding my collection. Anyone else some thoughts on comparing the newer chart design to previous chart design?

          Uriah Jones

          --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, "classicpaydirt" <JJS@...> wrote:

          > Hello, welcome to the group. Summer is a ittle slow on this site. It picks up in the fall. No, most different seasons of paydirt charts are not compatible with each other. From seasons about 1983 to 1983 no effort was even made to design an accurate chart. Instead they just took other previously created chart and put them under a different team name. EXAMPLE: They might have put the 1981 lions run chart 1980 redskins pass chart, 1986 giants run defense chart, 1980 raiders pass defense chart, 1979 steelers special teams chart all together and called it the 1985 CHICAGO BEARS TEAM CHART. Absolutely pathetic. Do a ggogle search and enter PAYDIRT GREAT TEAMS. It should be first on the list. You can then go to the Darrin Hunter REDZONE site. You can get sets of CLASSIC PAYDIRT GRAT TEAMS CHARTS ON THAT SITE. The charts were designed form the same formula. You can match up the greatest teams from 1960 through the 2010 season. You can go to the files section of this site and print out 8 CLASSIC PAYDIRT GREAT TEAMS CHARTS for free. -JOE SCHMITT :-)
          >
          > --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, "snowgoal" <snowgoal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Everyone. New to the Paydirt Board.Ready to get rollin with this game again!
          > > I need to know if later Paydirt charts are compatible with the first editions of Sports Illustrated Pro Football, or do alterations need to be made? I have a 1970 edition Of SI Pro football, and am hoping I can use the Paydirt charts that came later, both under the name of SI and AH.
          > > Thanks for any help!

        • David Lacombe
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2012
            Hello Uriah. You'll find that the older charts naturally have stronger defenses than the newer charts (because of all the rule changes over the years). Also some of the newer chart makers have added a lot more detail  to individual aspects of the game. Additional columns have been added to better reflect individuals teams' capabilities in kickoff & punt coverage, QB sack contain, more penalty detail for each team, fumble return columns and other things like that. The newer charts, also because of rule changes, reflect more potent offenses. With these kind of additions, the newer charts , I believe are likely to be more accurate.
            From another yahoo groups member: "From seasons about 1983 to 1983 no effort was even made to design an accurate chart."
            My favorite old years for charts were the 1978, 79, 80 & 81's. Now I really play 2007, 2010 & 2011 almost exclusively.
             Uriah, what part of the world do you live? Looking for more players always. David

          • uriah_jones@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , May 18, 2012
              Hi David, I'm in Salem, Oregon. Have you used the Redzone Charts designed by Darrin Hunter? And is there any significant difference between some of the different chart designers? I agree that the newer charts are a little more fun to play, though it is a shame that it is so hard to compare teams across the years. Though I still think that they are fairly accurate over short time spans, like maybe just a couple years.

              --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, David Lacombe <dvd_lacombe@...> wrote:

              > Hello Uriah. You'll find that the older charts naturally have stronger defenses than the newer charts (because of all the rule changes over the years). Also some of the newer chart makers have added a lot more detail  to individual aspects of the game. Additional columns have been added to better reflect individuals teams' capabilities in kickoff & punt coverage, QB sack contain, more penalty detail for each team, fumble return columns and other things like that. The newer charts, also because of rule changes, reflect more potent offenses. With these kind of additions, the newer charts , I believe are likely to be more accurate.
              > From another yahoo groups member:"From seasons about 1983 to 1983 no effort was even made to design an accurate chart."
              > My favorite old years for charts were the 1978, 79, 80 & 81's. Now I really play 2007, 2010 & 2011 almost exclusively.
              >  Uriah, what part of the world do you live? Looking for more players always. David

            • Stuart Perry
              Message 6 of 6 , May 19, 2012
                I have several seasons if anyone is interested in buying them?  I love the game but have been out of the loop for awhile....so I apologize upfront if selling them now is bad.

                Stu

                Hello Uriah. You'll find that the older charts naturally have stronger defenses than the newer charts (because of all the rule changes over the years). Also some of the newer chart makers have added a lot more detail  to individual aspects of the game. Additional columns have been added to better reflect individuals teams' capabilities in kickoff & punt coverage, QB sack contain, more penalty detail for each team, fumble return columns and other things like that. The newer charts, also because of rule changes, reflect more potent offenses. With these kind of additions, the newer charts , I believe are likely to be more accurate.
                From another yahoo groups member: "From seasons about 1983 to 1983 no effort was even made to design an accurate chart."