FREEZE THAT KICKER!

  • werderwayne
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
      The Texans lined up for a 56 yard FG against the Colts with 0:02 left in the 1st half. Just before the Texans snapped the ball the Colts called TO, but without enough time for the Texans to react. The snap went back and the kicker missed the kick badly. Because of the TO they got to try again and knocked it through. Freezing the kicker cost the Colts 3 points. I wonder what the stats are on that tactic.

      -WW
    • Patrick Lillis
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009

           How much you want to bet it's in the "urban legend" category right up there w/ teams winning the OT coin toss always winning?

           What other "conventional wisdom" memes of football can you name?  And how many can you debunk?

            I'll start: Defense wins championships.  Okay, that one is 100% true.  :)

        The Texans lined up for a 56 yard FG against the Colts with 0:02 left in the 1st half. Just before the Texans snapped the ball the Colts called TO, but without enough time for the Texans to react. The snap went back and the kicker missed the kick badly. Because of the TO they got to try again and knocked it through. Freezing the kicker cost the Colts 3 points. I wonder what the stats are on that tactic.

        -WW

      • Darrin Hunter
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
          I think it is better to make them rush the kick, not give them all day to get ready....I seen that kick, it was blocked

        • sundancekid63@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
            It could be argued that giving up those 3 points might have saved the game for the Colts.  As it turned out, they won by 3 when the Texans missed a field goal at the end of the game.  However, if the Colts don't call the time out before half and the Texans miss that field goal, they are down by 6 on the last drive.  All else being equal during the game.  And so, the Texans would not have been driving for a field goal to tie, but rather for a TD to win.  And thus, the Colts would have been facing a possible loss by 1 instead of, at worst, a tie and going to OT.

            Flo

            I think it is better to make them rush the kick, not give them all day to get ready....I seen that kick, it was blocked

            --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups .com, "werderwayne" <ismith@...> wrote:

            > The Texans lined up for a 56 yard FG against the Colts with 0:02 left in the 1st half. Just before the Texans snapped the ball the Colts called TO, but without enough time for the Texans to react. The snap went back and the kicker missed the kick badly. Because of the TO they got to try again and knocked it through. Freezing the kicker cost the Colts 3 points. I wonder what the stats are on that tactic.
            >
            > -WW

          • kent conlan
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
              This list was on ESPN as the Top 10 myths in football...

              Pretty interesting...

              http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325332

            • abenz68@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 9, 2009
                I remember when freezing the kicker became the strategy of the day a couple of years ago Jimmy Johnson said he never iced kickers because field goal percentages are higher after a time out than in normal game situations.

                Andrew