Tommy Kramer

  • Darrin Hunter
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2009
      Kramer became the starting quarterback for the Vikings before the 1979 NFL season after Fran Tarkenton retired. He was drafted by the Vikings to be the heir apparent to Tarkenton. He earned the nickname "Two Minute Tommy" for many late game come-from-behind victories. Kramer was the first NFL quarterback to throw for over 450 yards in a game twice, and he once threw six touchdowns in a single game versus the Green Bay Packers. Kramer also threw for 438 yards in one game against the 1985 Chicago Bears defense.Kramer graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in San Antonio where he guided the Volunteers to a 28-27 1971 UIL 4A State title over Wichita Falls. He played collegiately at Rice University and was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round (27th overall) of the 1977 NFL Draft after being named MVP of the 1977 Senior Bowl.
    • Quinton Roland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2009
        Kramer had a 146.8 passer rating in one victory against the 1986 Bears; one of only two regular season losses for the Bears. The 86 Bears defense was just as tough as their 85 defense. What if Kramer had been drafted by the Bears instead of the Vikings? With all those solid Bears defenses from the late 70s thru the late 80s, Kramer might have won a few Super Bowls. The Bears could have used a solid QB like Kramer. But Kramer's stats indicate he must have been injury prone. Imagine Kramer and McMahon alternating as starters each time the other went down with an injury...I thought Jim Everret of my Rams was another exceptional QB who never played for a really great team. His Rams teams were solid, but not Super Bowl contenders. Who were the best QBs to never have a great team to back them up; who never really had a shot at the Super Bowl? I can only think of 1 season where Marino had a team good enough to play in the last game - and that's what they did. Some say Archie Manning never had a team good enough to even make it to the playoffs. Payton and Eli have both played several seasons on teams that were better than any of the teams Archie played on. What if Jim Kelly had joined the Cowboys and Jimmy Johnson in the rebuilding years? Kelly might have been the starter and Aikman might have been traded...might have...what if...

        Quinton

        Kramer became the starting quarterback for the Vikings before the 1979 NFL season after Fran Tarkenton retired. He was drafted by the Vikings to be the heir apparent to Tarkenton. He earned the nickname "Two Minute Tommy" for many late game come-from-behind victories. Kramer was the first NFL quarterback to throw for over 450 yards in a game twice, and he once threw six touchdowns in a single game versus the Green Bay Packers. Kramer also threw for 438 yards in one game against the 1985 Chicago Bears defense.Kramer graduated from Robert E. Lee High School in San Antonio where he guided the Volunteers to a 28-27 1971 UIL 4A State title over Wichita Falls. He played collegiately at Rice University and was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the first round (27th overall) of the 1977 NFL Draft after being named MVP of the 1977 Senior Bowl.

      • JOEBOD
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2009
          --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, Quinton Roland <qsays@...> wrote:

          I can only think of 1 season where Marino had a team good enough to play in the last game - and that's what they did.

          The 85 Dolphins would have played in the Super Bowl if they hadn't choked the AFC CHampionship to a vastly inferior Patriots team...I don't know if they would have beaten the Bears a SECOND time that year, but they would not have been blown out 46-10...

          > Some say Archie Manning never had a team good enough to even make it to the playoffs.

          I used to think that...now, I think Archie was just as much of the reason the Aints were terrible...

          JoeBod
        • abenz68@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2009
            Dan Fouts is my all time favorite non superbowl non Viking Quarterback, also Steve Bartkowski(Still the Falcons all-time touchsown pass leader) had surprisingly good Statistics