Re: FW: [Paydirt] Digest Number 1289

  • Quinton Roland
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2009
      Darrin has a good point about whether tackles indicate good defense play; and that not all tackles are created equal.

      A good LB will force offensive blocking schemes to double team him, leaving other defenders unblocked and free to make the tackle. So the lesser player gets the stat. Just like sacks being accomplished by the one pass rusher who the offense felt was the least threatening on a given play. The blocking scheme and personnel chose to block the biggest threats, and the least threatening guy gets in for the big stat.

      On the other hand defensive schemes are created to keep the best tacklers "uncovered" (unblocked). They position, shade, shift, slant, twist and hide their personnel in order to get the best pass-rushers and best tacklers free and be in position to make the play. So the stats of the best defenders may be augmented by the defensive scheme designed to funnel the play to them; or to get them free and in position to make the play.

      The end result is that over the course of a season the best defenders' stats are helped by the defensive scheme trying to get them to the point of attack, but hurt by the offensive scheme trying to keep them away from the point of attack.

      Not all tackles are created equal just as not all receptions or yards gained are created equal. But over the course of a season I imagine the best pass rushers more often then not get the most sacks. And the best tacklers get the most tackles, both in the backfield and downfield. I imagine we'd need some incredibly sophisticated statistics like "situational tackle values" to better measure performance via tackling stats :)

      Quinton