PAYDIRT SOLO

  • johnbowen1971
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 3, 2008
      What is the best way to play c & d paydirt solo? Any and all
      suggestions would be appreciated and considered. Thanks.
      GRIDIRON
    • irish_pirate
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
        --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, "johnbowen1971" <johnbowen1971@...>
        wrote:

        > What is the best way to play c & d paydirt solo? Any and all
        > suggestions would be appreciated and considered. Thanks.
        > GRIDIRON

        I have created a solo version in 1988 and published it in 1998 on
        Sports Gaming Digest and here on Paydirt thread in 2004. If you are
        interested I can send you the main playing grid (I have no copy of it
        online at this time).

        The way it's played is to select a top 3 offensive and defensive
        plays and assign them to numbers 7,8,and 9 of a pair of dice that
        roll each time a team makes a play choice. I made a grid for each
        formation with standard calls for each formation and the 7,8, and 9
        are missing for you tio fill them in.

        Defense selects 789 first (looking at offensive chart to do so), then
        offense reacts with their choices. This allows up to a 70/30
        run/pass ratio on standard plays by your calls.

        Next, offense selects a formation call (shotgun, base, shorter
        yardage, stack for one yard) and the defense can match if they choose
        (and they usually do) (nickel, base, extra LB, extra line).

        I like this method because the majority of the game will play with
        the markers for both teams on 789 staying in place. With this format
        I can play two teams against each other and have no idea what I will
        call. If you choose you can declare before a roll for one offense or
        defense to not be allowed (such as a "B" defense on 3rd and 30) but
        if it comes it will cost the team stopping the play a time out.

        I can play a complete game with stats taken all the way down to time
        of posession in as quick as 50 minutes as opposed to a typical 3-hour
        game when I'm head to head. And there's a lot less whining when a
        game gets lopsided....I want to finish it faster at that point.

        Mail me back if you want more info.
      • Matt Floray
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
          While I admit that I have not looked at many of the other systems, I still think the John Houston system is the best.  It was published in the long defunct All-Star Replay magazine and can be found in the ASR groups here at yahoo.  I don't recall which issue it was in, but someone on here can probably tell you.  Or you can download all the issues, as they all have something worth reading and they are free.

          The Houston system takes a little effort to set it up, but after that, it works quite well.

          Flo

          wrote:

          > What is the best way to play c & d paydirt solo? Any and all
          > suggestions would be appreciated and considered. Thanks.
          > GRIDIRON

          I have created a solo version in 1988 and published it in 1998 on
          Sports Gaming Digest and here on Paydirt thread in 2004. If you are
          interested I can send you the main playing grid (I have no copy of it
          online at this time).

          The way it's played is to select a top 3 offensive and defensive
          plays and assign them to numbers 7,8,and 9 of a pair of dice that
          roll each time a team makes a play choice. I made a grid for each
          formation with standard calls for each formation and the 7,8, and 9
          are missing for you tio fill them in.

          Defense selects 789 first (looking at offensive chart to do so), then
          offense reacts with their choices. This allows up to a 70/30
          run/pass ratio on standard plays by your calls.

          Next, offense selects a formation call (shotgun, base, shorter
          yardage, stack for one yard) and the defense can match if they choose
          (and they usually do) (nickel, base, extra LB, extra line).

          I like this method because the majority of the game will play with
          the markers for both teams on 789 staying in place. With this format
          I can play two teams against each other and have no idea what I will
          call. If you choose you can declare before a roll for one offense or
          defense to not be allowed (such as a "B" defense on 3rd and 30) but
          if it comes it will cost the team stopping the play a time out.

          I can play a complete game with stats taken all the way down to time
          of posession in as quick as 50 minutes as opposed to a typical 3-hour
          game when I'm head to head. And there's a lot less whining when a
          game gets lopsided.... I want to finish it faster at that point.

          Mail me back if you want more info.

        • kent conlan
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
            Hi...I have been playing Solitare Paydirt and BowlBound with a very simple system...

            I am interested in yours...please e-mail me more info to: mrclean4456@...

            Thanks,
            -Kent

            wrote:

            > What is the best way to play c & d paydirt solo? Any and all
            > suggestions would be appreciated and considered. Thanks.
            > GRIDIRON

            I have created a solo version in 1988 and published it in 1998 on
            Sports Gaming Digest and here on Paydirt thread in 2004. If you are
            interested I can send you the main playing grid (I have no copy of it
            online at this time).

            The way it's played is to select a top 3 offensive and defensive
            plays and assign them to numbers 7,8,and 9 of a pair of dice that
            roll each time a team makes a play choice. I made a grid for each
            formation with standard calls for each formation and the 7,8, and 9
            are missing for you tio fill them in.

            Defense selects 789 first (looking at offensive chart to do so), then
            offense reacts with their choices. This allows up to a 70/30
            run/pass ratio on standard plays by your calls.

            Next, offense selects a formation call (shotgun, base, shorter
            yardage, stack for one yard) and the defense can match if they choose
            (and they usually do) (nickel, base, extra LB, extra line).

            I like this method because the majority of the game will play with
            the markers for both teams on 789 staying in place. With this format
            I can play two teams against each other and have no idea what I will
            call. If you choose you can declare before a roll for one offense or
            defense to not be allowed (such as a "B" defense on 3rd and 30) but
            if it comes it will cost the team stopping the play a time out.

            I can play a complete game with stats taken all the way down to time
            of posession in as quick as 50 minutes as opposed to a typical 3-hour
            game when I'm head to head. And there's a lot less whining when a
            game gets lopsided.... I want to finish it faster at that point.

            Mail me back if you want more info.

          • Ron Pisarz, Jr.
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
              Matt, I agree with you... Houston's is the best.

              Ron

              Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:21 PM
              Subject: Re: [Paydirt] Ippy's Solo Paydirt

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                Please send all info needed to this email-- no spaces (and no spam
                please)
                t he bowe ns 4 4 4 at b el l so uth d o t ne t
                Thanks
              • John Payne
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
                  --- In Paydirt@yahoogroups.com, Matt Floray <sundancekid63@...> wrote:

                  > While I admit that I have not looked at many of the other systems, I
                  still think the John Houston system is the best. It was published in
                  the long defunct All-Star Replay magazine and can be found in the ASR
                  groups here at yahoo. I don't recall which issue it was in, but
                  someone on here can probably tell you. Or you can download all the
                  issues, as they all have something worth reading and they are free.

                  > The Houston system takes a little effort to set it up, but after
                  that, it works quite well.

                  > Flo

                  I found it here:
                  http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wNp2SDyK4WBAAXcl1JXntF-jpQvPgBTLBT_k6JU78yZOJNQ8D2WoccdnO61y9zbOvyOkOeYiaJd3EoqAM9gPyFkeuXi6yugvz6auBSX4/Issue3-2.pdf

                  It is Volume 3 Issue 2 of All-Star Replay. The Volume 3 Yahoo Group is
                  located here:

                  Hope that helps.
                • johnbowen1971
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                    I am still looking for a playable solo system to play Paydirt. The
                    playability of Paydirt is so great. The charts still being made out
                    there are great. I am partial to Ron's charts, but have played with
                    some of the free downloadable charts out there and those are good too!
                    I need a GREAT but SIMPLE solo system to be able to fully enjoy the
                    charts. BTW: My high school team is 5-2, 5-1 in the region. We have
                    three games left. If we win all 3, we are region champs. If we win 2,
                    we are in the playoffs. If we win 1, we will probably need some help.
                    We are trying to get our school's 2nd ever playoff berth. Would be
                    sweet redemption for a 3-17 start in our first 2 years as a staff.
                  • Allen Evenson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                      John,

                      There are a few files in the files section of the group. I haven't tried any of them but have
                      used a one page system I found over at Boardgamegeek.com - I'll upload it to the files
                      section as well.

                      Congrats teams season so far - best of luck in your remaining games!!
                      I'm currently reading Mark Bowden's book; "The Best Game Ever" about the 1958
                      championship and the birth of the modern NFL. It's given me a renewed admiration for
                      coaches and the game in general.

                      Allen

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                        Thanks. I have seen that one before on tabletop sports site. What is
                        your opinion of this system?
                      • Allen Evenson
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                          I don't have a lot of experience with it but it seems to work ok.  I'm doing a replay of the 1981 season Superbowl (I'm the SF offense/defense) against the Bengals using the 'system' - I set my play first - then roll for Cinci's then roll the Paydirt dice and resolve the play. The Score so far is 3-3 with 14:00 minutes in the first half.

                          While I was perusing the other files, I came across the All-Sports Replay article about creating a different solo play chart for each team to give it some of it's character using the chart statistics. It seems that it would be a great way to do it but time consuming to creat the chart.

                          I wonder how Ron does the computer play calling in his Data-Driven football? I have found it a worthy opponent - though I enjoy playing with the charts and dice in hand too.

                          -Allen

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                            The chart makers, Ron & Eddie, have the stats and the charts already in Excel, so it should be very easy to create the solitaire chart for each to use the John Houston system.  And that system is, by far, the best around.  Perhaps they could sell them at a small price to go with each set.

                            Flo

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                              Matt,
                              I agree with you that John Houston's system is by far the best all around.  I thought about providing a facility to create a solitaire profile for each team, but nobody seems interested.  If I recall there is some subjectivity in deciding what plays are used for certain situations, and because of the subjectivity it does make it a bit more challenging.  If there is enough interest I could take a crack at it.

                              Ron

                              Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:13 PM

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                                Agreed, there would be some subjectivity, but to have the best system and not have to do the work?  Sign me up!

                                Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:13 PM

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 19, 2008
                                  Allen-

                                  DDF's AI uses Down & Distance, Field Position, Point Differential, and Time Remaining.  These components define a game situation (DDF's AI defines ~75,000 situations).  Each game situation contains decision data that is used by the AI to determine a play call.  The primary decision data element is a pass modifier - a percentage number indicating the degree that team should consider passing or not.  For example, 3rd and 10 at midfield, down by 3 late in the 3rd quarter, may increase the likelihood of a pass by 30%.   This modifier then adjusts an offense's actual rush/pass ratio (easily determined from available statistics).  The league's offensive tendency against a defense also provides an adjustment (this last feature is being developed for the next release).  Once a pass/rush decision is made the AI uses a team specific playbook to determine the exact play.  A team's playbook entries are determined based on the actual play call frequency from the regular season.  This design is has some similarities to Houston's but extends on the idea and provides more variability.
                                  I have a document that outlines the AI design.  If anyone is interested contact me directly and I will gladly share it with you.

                                  Publishing a board-game compatible solitaire system based on this design would be extremely easy (easier than Houston's).  I'll consider publishing this system as well.

                                  Ron