1988 Replay

  • beninlee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 4, 2001

      > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt seasons of Buffalo Bills & Chicago Bears
      >

      > John with Chicago Bears
      >

      > Wk  10 vs Tampa, Bears(8-1) favored by 13

      Tampa led after Q1 with a Medium TD pass.
      Chicago's offense struggled, but the defense intercepted a Short pass.
      This led to the first of 2 Chicago FGs after 2 QB scrambles.
      Tampa's Medium pass continued well in Q2 leading to a 26-yard FG.
      Chicago got the ball late in the half but a Hail Mary was intercepted.
      Tampa's offense started to falter just as Chicago's running game came good.
      With Tampa's defense concentrating on the run, Chicago hit a Medium pass for the go-ahead TD.
      In Q4 Chicago scored another TD on an End Run.
      Down by 10 Tampa was forced to the air.
      Chicago's defense once more killed the game with 2 interceptions.

      (Chi-TB): 0-7, 6-10, 13-10, 23-10

      > Wk  11 at Washington, Bears(9-1) favored by 6

      On the first play from scrimmage Washington runs an Off Tackle for 15 yards.
      After a sack Washington is forced to punt.
      Then Chicago runs an Off Tackle, but for 55 yards.
      Chicago soon score a TD & another before the end of the quarter.
      Washington starts well in Q2 trading FGs.
      Then Chicago punts & its downed at the 2-yard line.
      Washington runs a simple Draw but is tackled for the Safety.
      The second half is less exciting as Chicago's defense gives them a comfortable win.

      (Chi-Wash): 14-0, 19-6, 29-6, 36-13

      > Wk  12 at Tampa, Bears(10-1) favored by 6.5

      Tampa led after Q1 with 2 FGs.
      Chicago's offense struggled & a Medium pass was intercepted.
      But the defense also intercepted a Medium pass. This led to a Chicago FG.
      Chicago's Medium pass got better in Q2 with the go-ahead TD.
      Unfortunately the extra point was missed.
      Tampa's offense started to falter just as Chicago's passing game really came good.
      This was fortunate as the running game kept on fumbling.
      In Q4 Chicago scored another Medium pass TD.
      Down by 12 Tampa was forced to the air.
      Chicago's defense once more killed the game with another interception.

      (Chi-TB): 0-6, 9-6, 9-6, 18-6

      > Wk  13 vs Green Bay(1-11), Bears(11-1) favored by 14

      The Bears running game is dominant (45-278).
      Their passing game is also stellar (12-27-171), including a 32-yard Screen pass for a TD.
      Their defense does the rest with 2 sacks & 1 interception.

      (Chi-GB): 0-0, 10-0, 17-7, 27-7

      > Wk  14 at Rams(5-8), Bears(12-1) favored by 2

      The Bears running game is dominant (44-256).
      Their passing game is also stellar (11-17-204), including an 84-yard Long bomb.
      Their defense does the rest with 2 sacks & 2 fumbles recovered.

      (Chi-Rams): 7-0, 21-0, 28-0, 28-7

      > Wk  15 vs Detroit(2-12), Bears(13-1) favored by 14

      The Bears running game is dominant (45-271), including a 39-yard Off Tackle for a TD.
      Their passing game is also stellar (24-31-264), including a 46-yard Long bomb for a TD.
      Their defense does the rest with 3 sacks & 3 interceptions.

      (Chi-Det): 14-0, 35-0, 49-7, 59-14

      > Wk  16 at Minnesota, Bears(14-1), Minnesota favored by 2.5

      Defenses dominate a scoreless Q1.
      Minnesota start Q2 on their 17-yard line.
      They try an End Run, the Bears Blitz, the result is a Safety.
      That opens the flood gates & Chicago's running game racks up 10 more unanswered points.
      In Q3 Minnesota stage a minor comeback with an unanswered FG.
      In Q4, still down by 9, Minnesota is forced to the air.
      The Bears defense does the rest with 3 sacks & 3 interceptions.

      (Chi-Minn): 0-0, 12-0, 12-3, 29-3

      > Bears finish 15-1.
      > The only loss being to San Francisco in OverTime.
      >

      > Benedict with Buffalo Bills

      > Wk  11 at Miami, Bills(9-1) favored by 5.5

      Buffalo's offense starts brightly with 2 TDs.
      Miami responds with a 61-yard Long Bomb.
      This leads to a 1-yard Line Plunge for a TD.
      Unfortunately the extra point was missed.
      In fact, very unfortunately as that was the only time Miami had anything resembling an offense.
      That put a lot of pressure on the defense - not a good idea for Miami.
      The Bills running game is good (44-191-6TDs).
      Their Short passing game is amazing (22-233-2TDs).
      Their special teams also came up with 2 blocked punts.

      (Buff-Mia): 21-6, 35-6, 56-6, 62-6

      > Buffalo are 10-1.

    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 4, 2001
        > > Wk 11 at Washington, Bears(9-1) favored by 6
        > >

        > > Then Chicago punts & its downed at the 2-yard line.
        > Washington runs a simple Draw but is tackled for the Safety.

        Are you playing solitaire with a random offensive play? Curious
        because of the draw play being called so close to the goal line.
      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2001

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 5, 2001

            Are you playing solitaire with a random offensive play? Curious
            because of the draw play being called so close to the goal line.

            No I was playing Washington.
            Usually the Draw play is better against Short Yardage than Line Plunge or Off tackle. Guess I was unlucky.
          • beninlee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 13, 2002
              > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the Buffalo Bills with Benedict
              >

              > Wk  12 vs New York Jets, Bills(10-1, unbeaten at home) favored by 9.5

              Buffalo came out firing with runs of 16 & 19 & a Long bomb for 33.
              Buffalo's defense also registered 2 sacks but they led by only 3 in Q1.
              Buffalo went further ahead on a 20 yard Off Tackle.
              Then the Jets Blitzed a Short pass for an interception.
              The Jets had to settle for a Field Goal, to be behind by 7 at the half.
              In Q3 Buffalo broke a Medium pass for a long gain & a TD.
              This was followed by another Buffalo Field Goal.
              The Jets replied with a TD at the end of Q3.
              In Q4 the Jets finally registered a sack.
              They moved within 3 on another big run.
              On the next drive the Bills punted.
              But the Jets offense was stymied & also had to punt.
              The punt was blocked giving the Bills excellent field position.
              Another Buffalo Off Tackle was the game's final score.
              Each time Buffalo was ahead of the spread, the Jets used the Wild Card defenses to keep the game fairly close.

              (Buff-NYJ): 10-7, 17-10, 27-17, 34-24

              > Wk  13 at Cincinnati, Bengals favored by 5 over the Bills(11-1)

              The Bengals started well & took an early lead.
              The Buffalo offense also started well with a 45 yard Long bomb for a TD.
              But then the Buffalo defense ruled the roost, beginning with a recovered fumble on a Bengals kickoff return.
              2 End Runs of 11 & 14 led to a Buffalo 23 yard Field Goal.
              The Buffalo defense was rampant in Q2 with 2 sacks.
              Buffalo ran the ball in for a TD.
              Q3 was very similar with the Buffalo defense notching up an interception.
              But now the Bengals finally woke up.
              Their running game was moving real well.
              Then a Screen against Short Yardage gave them a 17 yard TD.
              Buffalo then had to punt & the Bengals tied the game up with another Screen pass.
              But then Buffalo committed their only turnover of the game as the fumbled the kickoff return.
              The Bengals threw a quick SideLine pass for the game's winning final score.

              (Buff-Cin): 10-7, 17-7, 24-10, 24-31

              > Wk  14 at Tampa, Bills(11-2) favored by 7.5

              Once again the Bills started well.
              But the Tampa running defense was even better.
              Buffalo was restricted to just 10 points in the first half.
              In Q3 the Tampa pass defense perked up with 2 interceptions, 1 for a TD.
              The second was followed by a Field Goal & the scores were level.
              Then the Buffalo Short pass really got to work.
              Tampa had no answer to that & Buffalo regained the lead,
              In Q4 Tampa relied on their defense to stop Buffalo running out the clock.
              But Buffalo mixed in a 62 yard Long bomb to the 1 yard line to go 14 points up.
              Tampa's offense struggled & the ensuing punt was blocked.
              Another Buffalo Long bomb for 39 yards was the game's final score.
              Buffalo's Short pass was 18-168-1TD, the Long pass 5-149-1TD.
              Overall Buffalo's passing was 26-32-374-2-2, over 80% completions.

              (Buff-TB): 3-0, 10-0, 17-10, 31-10

              > Wk  15 vs Raiders, Bills(12-2) favored by 10

              Buffalo had a very mixed game offensively.
              Sure they scored a TD every quarter.
              But they also lost a fumble every quarter.
              Q3 was the worst with an interception & a sack for a safety.
              Fortunately, when the Running backs weren't fumbling they averaged over 6 yards a carry.
              The Buffalo defense did the rest, forcing the Raiders QB to scramble for his life all game long.

              (Buff-Raid): 7-0, 17-7, 24-16, 31-22

              > Wk  16 at Indianapolis(9-6), Bills(13-2) favored by 1

              The Bills pass defense is dominant.
              Their passing game is also stellar (24-29-287-2-1).

              (Buff-Ind): 10-0, 13-3, 13-3, 23-3

              > Bills finish 14-2.
              > Losing only to the Bears & the Bengals.

              Up next:
              Benedict   plays as the Phoenix       Cardinals (220)
              John          plays as the Washington Redskins (220)
            • Tinger1996@aol.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 13, 2002
                Great Season for the Bills, Funny in that their lone two losses were to my 2
                Super Bowl Participants. In My replay the Bengals won 26-13 in the reg
                season over the Bills and they met again in the playoffs with Cincy eeking
                out a 14-13 win. Have fun with the next part, Phoenix and Washington had two
                of the top passing offenses in my replay. look forward to more!!!
              • beninlee@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 21, 2002

                  > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                  >   Phoenix Cardinals coached by Benedict
                  >   Washington Redskins coached by John
                  >
                  > opposing teams played by the other person

                  > Phoenix

                  > Wk  1 at Cincinnati, Bengals favored by 11

                  Phoenix started spectacularly with a 76 yard Long bomb on the opening drive.
                  In Q2 Phoenix could have gone much further ahead but twice had to settle for Field Goals.
                  The Bengals only TD came from a Medium pass.
                  In Q3 the Bengals Screened a Blitz to take the lead.
                  Phoenix struggled in Q4 & the Bengals went further ahead on a Line Plunge.
                  Another Phoenix Long bomb did connect for a 75 yard TD.
                  But that was all there was left in the tank & the Bengals hung on for the win.
                  Unusually both teams passed more than half the time on first down.

                  (Phoe-Cin): 7-3, 13-10, 16-20, 23-27

                  > Wk  2 vs Dallas, Phoenix(0-1) favored by 6.5

                  Dallas went 3 and out.
                  Dallas punted & Phoenix began from their own half.
                  After the previous game Phoenix again tried passing on 1st down.
                  But the QB went down for a Sack.
                  2nd down, different pass - same result - Sacked.
                  3rd down, again a different pass, but the same result - Sacked.
                  So Phoenix had to punt.
                  But then Dallas fumbled the punt return & Phoenix still had the ball.
                  Phoenix Screened the Blitz only to be Sacked again.
                  Phoenix eventually had to punt again in a very ineffective first half.
                  The Cowboys only TD of the first half came on a 1 yard End Run.
                  In Q3 Phoenix tried to avoid the pass rush by passing Short only to Fumble.
                  Dallas drove quickly close to the end zone & scored on a Medium pass.
                  Dallas sacked Phoenix a few more times but eventually Phoenix capped a long drive with a Line Plunge from the 1 yard line.
                  In Q4 Phoenix hit a 32 yard Short pass.
                  This tempted Dallas to Blitz again, but a Phoenix Screen pass went all the way from their own half.
                  Dallas punted into the end zone on their next possession.
                  Hoping to add to their tally of 9 sacks, Dallas Blitzed again.
                  But Phoenix Screened, 80 yards for the go-ahead TD.
                  Now, with time running out, Dallas was forced to the air.
                  But Phoenix got their second interception of the day & great field position.
                  Dallas managed to keep their slim hopes alive by restricting Phoenix to a Field Goal.
                  But Phoenix intercepted the Hail Mary for the 4th quarter comeback win.

                  (Phoe-Dall): 0-0, 0-10, 7-17, 24-17

                  > Wk  3 at Tampa, Phoenix(1-1) favored by 1.5

                  Tampa began well with 32 yard Long bomb on 3rd & 1.
                  They followed that with a 24 yard Short pass & a 10 yard Off Tackle for the TD.
                  Phoenix replied in kind with 34 yard Short pass & a 25 yard Medium pass.
                  Unfortunately, Phoenix had to settle for a Field Goal as the ground game failed.
                  Tampa's next drive ended in an interception near to the Phoenix end zone.
                  A long Phoenix drive ended in an 8 yard QB scramble off a Screen pass for the TD.
                  At the start of Q2 Phoenix intercepted another Tampa Short pass.
                  Tampa used the Wild Card pass defense to get the ball back.
                  Tampa then mounted 2 long drives ending in Screen passes for TDs.
                  Tampa's kickoff was very deep & Phoenix Touched Back at the 2 minute warning.
                  Phoenix went Long & it went all the way in for an 80 yard TD.
                  Tampa failed to run the clock out but a good punt got them to the Phoenix 20 yard line.
                  Now there was only 20 seconds left.
                  Phoenix was expecting Tampa to Pass Prevent Long.
                  First they threw a Medium pass for 19 yards.
                  But now on the final play of the first half Phoenix had to throw Long.
                  Again it connected & went all the way for a 61 yard TD.
                  Tampa was now able to use the Wild Card Run defense to stop Phoenix.
                  The teams traded many punts but Q3 ended with another Tampa Screen pass for a TD.
                  The teams now traded Field Goals after long drives.
                  With 4 minutes left Phoenix got the ball in their own half.
                  On the first Long pass the QB was forced to scramble for just 3 yards.
                  The next Long bomb connected for 44 yards.
                  Medium passes got Phoenix to the 10 yard line at the 2 minute warning.
                  Then Phoenix tried a Side-Line pass.
                  He caught it at the 6 yard-line but fumbled at the 5.
                  Now Phoenix had recovered all 4 previous fumbles, but not this one.
                  Tampa tried to run the ball out but got nowhere.
                  Phoenix used their time outs to force Tampa to punt.
                  Standing in his own end zone the Tampa punter fumbled it.
                  Phoenix recovered for the winning TD.
                  Phoenix's passing game was the best seen so far at 22-35-411-2-0.

                  (Phoe-TB): 10-7, 24-21, 24-28, 34-31

                  > Wk  4 vs Washington, Phoenix(2-1) favored by 1

                  Phoenix put the game away early thanks to the Draw play.
                  Only the Wild Card defenses kept Washington even close.
                  Washington completed under 40% of their passes.
                  Washington was reduced to running inside in Q4 to get a 1st down.
                  Phoenix showboated late on with a couple of Long bombs.

                  (Phoe-Wash): 7-3, 21-3, 31-3, 31-10

                  > Wk  5 at the Rams(3-1), Rams(2-2) favored by 5

                  2 Rams interceptions in Q1 led to Phoenix TDs.
                  2 more Phoenix TDs in Q2 & again in Q4 put the game away.
                  Even tho the Rams sacked the Phoenix QB 6 times he completed 80% of his passes.

                  (Phoe-Rams): 14-0, 27-7, 27-14, 41-14

                  > Washington

                  > Wk  1 at the Giants, Giants favored by 5

                  Washington outgained the Giants by more than 1 yard per play.
                  But their QB was intercepted 5 times, once for a TD.
                  The Giants defense won the turnover battle 7-0.

                  (Wash-NYG): 7-7, 7-20, 14-27, 21-33

                  > Wk  2 vs Pittsburgh, Washington(0-1) favored by 5

                  When a Redskins Medium pass was intercepted early on, everyone was expecting a repeat performance of last week.
                  Pittsburgh duly threw a Side-Line pass for the first TD.
                  But the Washington defense recovered 2 Pittsburgh fumbles to keep the game tight at half time.
                  Pittsburgh fumbled 5 more times but recovered them all.
                  The Washington defense was stellar in the second half recording 5 sacks in all, 1 for a safety.
                  But now the Washington offense was on form as the passing game averaged almost 9 yards a down.
                  2 Pittsburgh Blitzes were turned into TDs & Washington cruised away for the win.

                  (Wash-Pitt): 3-7, 6-10, 20-10, 36-17

                  > Wk  3 vs the Eagles, Philadelphia(0-2) favored by 3.5 over Washington(1-1)

                  Washington cannot stop the Philly Screen pass as it goes 15-99-3TD.
                  The Eagles ball control offense runs twice as many plays as Washington.
                  Washington keep the game close but 2 interceptions in Q4 gives Philly the win.

                  (Wash-Phil): 0-0, 14-3, 14-10, 28-13

                  > Wk  4 vs Phoenix, Phoenix(2-1) favored by 1 over Washington(1-2)

                  see report above of Phoenix win

                  > Wk  5 at the Giants, Giants(4-0) favored by 4 over Washington(1-3)

                  Washington keeps the game tight with good defense.
                  But the Giants Field Goal kick is 5 for 6, 3 in Q4 & the Giants defense hold on for the win.

                  (Wash-NYG): 3-10, 3-13, 13-13, 20-22

                  From: Tinger1996@...

                  Great Season for the Bills, Funny in that their lone two losses were to my 2
                  Super Bowl Participants.  In My replay the Bengals won 26-13 in the reg
                  season over the Bills and they met again in the playoffs with Cincy eeking
                  out a 14-13 win.  Have fun with the next part, Phoenix and Washington had two
                  of the top passing offenses in my replay.
                  <
                  Yeah Phoenix are great fun to play (at least 23 points a game) but Washington is really struggling.
                  At least Washington has an easy game at Dallas up next.
                • beninlee@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 20, 2002

                    > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                    >   Phoenix Cardinals coached by Benedict
                    >   Washington Redskins coached by John
                    >
                    > opposing teams played by the other person

                    > Phoenix

                    > Wk  6 vs Pittsburgh, Phoenix(4-1) favored by 5

                    Phoenix started spectacularly with 2 Medium passes for TDs in Q1.
                    In Q2 Phoenix continued with 2 more Medium passes for TDs.
                    The Steelers only TD came from a long kickoff return.
                    Their offense could only get a chip-shot field goal.
                    In the second half Pittsburgh started well with another long kickoff return.
                    But that was all there was left in the tank & the Phoenix defense turned up the heat.
                    In all Phoenix grabbed 2 interceptions, 4 sacks, 3 fumble recoveries & blocked 3 punts.
                    Given such great field position,  the Phoenix offense racked up 4 more TDs.
                    Phoenix's QB went 30-42-359-7TD-1Int.

                    (Phoe-Pitt): 14-0, 28-10, 35-17, 56-17

                    > Wk  7 at Washington, Washington favored by 1 over Phoenix(5-1)
                    >
                    > Return game from week 4 which Phoenix won 31-10.

                    On the opening drive Washington move the ball with ease for the opening TD.
                    But they missed the extra point.
                    Phoenix replied with a 23 yard Medium pass for a TD.
                    In Q2 the only score was a Phoenix End Run.
                    But then in the second half the Phoenix defense again excelled.
                    This time with 4 interceptions, 3 fumbles recovered & 2 sacks.
                    The Phoenix offense committed no turnovers at all in the game.
                    Phoenix used a combination of a lot of rushing witha deadly passing game to score 5 TDs in Q3.
                    Phoenix showboated in Q4 with a couple more TDs.
                    Phoenix's QB went 20-30-323-5TD.

                    (Phoe-Wash): 7-6, 14-6, 48-6, 62-6

                    > Washington

                    > Wk  6 at Dallas, Washington(1-4) favored by 5.5

                    In a tense first half each team score just 1 TD.
                    In Q3 Washington tried a Medium from their own 11 yard line.
                    Dallas blitzed & sacked the QB for a safety.
                    On the next drive Dallas threw a Sideline pass on 3rd & 1 for a 30 yard TD.
                    In Q4 Dallas tried blitzing again but Washington screened for a 66 yard TD.
                    Dallas replied with a long drive for another TD.
                    Washington quickly scored another TD with a Medium.
                    Dallas replied with another long drive for a TD.
                    But now there was only 2 minutes left.
                    Using Mediums & time outs Washington replied with a TD.
                    With only 20 seconds left Washington tried the onside kick but failed.
                    So the difference was that Safety.

                    (Wash-Dall): 0-7, 7-7, 7-16, 28-30

                    > Wk  7 at Phoenix(5-1), Washington(1-5) favored by 1

                    see report above of Phoenix win

                    > Wk  8 vs Green Bay(0-7), Washington(1-6) favored by 3.5

                    With an 11 point lead just after the start of Q4 Washington expected to hold on for their second win.
                    But they reckoned without the last ditch heroics of the Green Bay QB.
                    A Short pass brought them within 5.
                    A 42 yard Long bomb gave the Packers the comeback win.

                    (Wash-GB): 7-0, 10-0, 10-6, 17-18

                    > Wk  9 at Houston, Houston favored by 7.5 over Washington(1-7)

                    In a game that took just 24 minutes to replay, Houston cruised to an easy win.

                    (Wash-Hou): 3-7, 3-21, 3-28, 17-41

                    > Wk  10 vs New Orleans, New Orleans(6-3) favored by 3.5 over Washington(1-8)

                    Washington keeps the game tight thru 3 quarters.
                    A lacklustre New Orleans allows Washington to come back for the surprise win.

                    (Wash-NO): 7-0, 10-7, 10-14, 24-17

                    > Wk  11 vs Chicago, Chicago(9-1) favored by 6 over Washington(2-8)

                    Chicago's running game enables them to cruise away for the easy win.

                    (Wash-Chi): 0-14, 6-19, 6-29, 13-36

                  • beninlee@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 17, 2002
                      1988 Replay

                      > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                      >   Phoenix Cardinals coached by Benedict
                      >   Washington Redskins coached by John
                      >
                      > opposing teams played by the other person

                      > Phoenix

                      > Wk  8 vs Cleveland, Cleveland favored by 2.5 over Phoenix(6-1)

                      Phoenix started badly when a Medium pass was intercepted.
                      Cleveland also struggled in a scoreless Q1.
                      In Q2 Phoenix continued with 2 more Long passes being intercepted.
                      Cleveland also had a Side-Line pass intercepted.
                      Their offense got the only score on a Draw.
                      In Q3 the teams traded TDs.
                      In Q4 Phoenix closed to within a point with a 7 yard Short pass after a Cleveland fumble.
                      But Cleveland's defence was playing well & their offense racked up 2 Line Punge TDs.
                      Cleveland's running backs were 45-243-4TD.

                      (Phoe-Clev): 0-0, 0-7, 9-17, 16-31

                      > Wk  9 at Dallas, Phoenix(6-2) favored by 5.5
                      >
                      > Return game from week 2 which Phoenix won 24-17.

                      On the opening drive Dallas move the ball with ease but have to settle for the first of 2 Field Goals.
                      Phoenix struggled again on offense.
                      In Q2 & Q3 the teams traded TDs in a tight game.
                      Finally in Q4 Phoenix hit a 57 yard Long bomb which lead to the winning TD.

                      (Phoe-Dall): 0-6, 7-13, 14-20, 21-20

                      That win makes Phoenix 7-2, the Giants 9-0, Philadelphia 4-5 & Washington were 1-8.

                      > Washington

                      > Wk  12 at San Francisco, 49ers favored by 14 over Washington(2-9)

                      The game was completely balanced until Q3 when Washington went ahead on a Field Goal.
                      Another Field Goal in Q4 gave Washington a 6 point lead.
                      In their last drive but one the 49ers ran the ball in to the level the scores.
                      That was it, game won.
                      But he missed the extra point.
                      Washington could not even get in Field Goal range.
                      Then in their final drive the 49ers ate up the clock with the running game.
                      They got within Field Goal range but wnated to make sure by getting closer.
                      3 runs & 3 time outs later the 49ers were close but still they pressed on.
                      What should have been the game winning Field Goal ended up as a draw which was 5 yards short.
                      So OverTime.
                      Washington won the toss.
                      After a run, Washington threw a Short pass which went for 34 yards - into Field Goal range.
                      3 more runs & Washington won the game with their third Field Goal of 5 attempts.

                      (Wash-SF): 7-7, 14-14, 24-21, 27-27, 30-27

                      > Wk  13 vs Cleveland, Cleveland favored by 2.5 over Washington(3-9)

                      Once again, the game was completely balanced until Q3 when Cleveland went ahead on a Field Goal.
                      Each team scored 2 TDs in Q4 so when Washington got the ball for the last time they needed a Field Goal to tie.
                      Washington managed to get within range but decided to try & win the game in regulation.
                      Their final Line Plunge was stuffed by a Short Yardage & Cleveland held on for the win.

                      (Wash-Clev): 7-7, 14-14, 21-24, 35-38

                      > Wk  14 at Philadelphia, Philadelphia(7-6) favored by 5.5 over Washington(3-10)

                      Philly are cruising & hold a 13 point lead at the start of Q4.
                      Washington gets a 29 yard Side-Line pass to close within 6.
                      Philly fail on offense but don't leave much time for Washington.
                      Washington is stymied by their reluctance to throw Long & Philly hold on for the win to keep their playoff hopes alive.

                      (Wash-Phil): 0-7, 7-20, 14-27, 21-27

                    • beninlee@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 20, 2002

                        > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                        >   Phoenix Cardinals coached by Benedict
                        >   Washington Redskins coached by John
                        >
                        > opposing teams played by the other person
                        > games played on the evening of 15th September 2002

                        > Phoenix has started the season well
                        > but can they maintain it with a very tough remaining schedule

                        > Wk  10 vs San Francisco, 49ers favored by 13 over Phoenix(7-2)

                        The 49ers took their opening drive all the way for their first TD.
                        On Phoenix's first play they caught the 49ers in Short Yardage with a Long pass, but still saw the pass intercepted.
                        In Q2 Phoenix finally scored a TD but the 49ers scored 3 in reply, marred only by a missed extra point.
                        In Q3 Phoenix tried to get back in the game but 2 more interceptions killed them off.
                        As usual, in Q4, Phoenix racked up their 5th sack as the game fizzled out.

                        (Phoe-SF):  3-14, 10-34, 17-41, 17-41

                        > Wk  11 vs New York, Giants(10-0) favored by 4 over Phoenix(7-3)

                        Phoenix stun the Giants with a 79 yard Long bomb for the opening TD.
                        The Giants reply was intercepted & Phoenix scored again with a Screen pass.
                        After a scoreless Q2 the Giants running game gradually wore down the Phoenix defense.
                        The Giants score 2 TDs to continue their unbeaten season.

                        (Phoe-NYG): 14-3, 14-3, 14-10, 14-17

                        > Wk  12 at Houston, Oilers favored by 7.5 over Phoenix(7-4)

                        Once again Phoenix are the only team to score TDs in the first half.
                        But in Q3 its a completely different story.
                        The Phoenix defense is unable to contain the balanced Houston offense as they score 2 TDs.
                        Houston repeats the feat in Q4 to pull out a 14 point lead.
                        Finally Phoenix finds an offense combination that works & pull back 1 TD.
                        But Phoenix has no deep threat & Houston is able to hold on for the win.
                        Houston has 406 yards of total offense.

                        (Phoe-Hou): 7-0, 14-0, 14-14, 21-28

                        > Wk  13 at Philadelphia, Eagles(6-6) favored by 5.5 over Phoenix(7-5)

                        In this game Philly races out to a big lead.
                        Phoenix tries to reply with the Side-line pass.
                        Initial success is followed by fumbles & interceptions.
                        Phoenix is again without a deep threat & Philly cruise to a win.

                        (Phoe-Phil): 0-7, 7-24, 7-34, 14-34

                        > Wk  14 at New York, Giants(12-1) favored by 5 over Phoenix(7-6)

                        In a very tight game the slow moving Phoenix offense matches the quick scoring Giants & the lead oscillates between the two teams.
                        Phoenix takes a 1 point lead at the start of Q4 but the Giants reply with a TD of their own.
                        On the final drive Phoenix goes all the way to 5 yard line but their final End Run is smothered by the Giants Spread defense.
                        The Giants average over 9 yards per pass attempt with no interceptions.

                        (Phoe-NYG): 7-0, 14-13, 21-27, 28-34

                        > Wk  15 vs Philadelphia, Eagles(8-6) favored by 3.5 over Phoenix(7-7)

                        In another tight game the teams match scores for the first 3 quarters.
                        But then Philly turn on the style in their quest for a playoff place with 3 more TDs.
                        But its the Eagles defense which seals the win with a sack for a safety following 8 turnovers during the game.
                        Both teams have over 300 yards of pass offense.

                        (Phoe-Phil): 3-3, 10-10, 24-26, 24-49

                        > Wk  16 vs Green Bay, Phoenix(7-8) favored by 5.5 over Packers(2-13)

                        In a meaningless end of season game Phoenix crushes Green Bay.
                        Green Bay were 0 for 11 on 3rd downs, with just 49 yards on the ground, 10 of those from a QB running for his life in the second half.

                        (Phoe-GB): 7-0, 7-7, 14-7, 31-7

                        Phoenix finally ends its 6 game losing streak to end the season 8-8, behind the Giants at 15-1 & Philly at 10-6.

                        > Washington (struggling)

                        > Wk  15 at Dallas, Washington(3-11) favored by 6.5
                        >
                        > rematch from week 6 when Washington almost managed a big Q4 comeback

                        With both teams seasons over we raced thru this slaughter in just 19 minutes.

                        (Wash-Dall): 10-0, 17-0, 24-0, 41-0

                        > Wk  16 at Cincinnatti, Bengals favored by 11 over Washington(4-11)

                        The Bengals dominated the game especially in Q2 when their defense grabbed the game's only turnovers (2 fumbles & an interception).
                        This game only lasted 16 minutes.

                        (Wash-Cin): 0-7, 3-20, 3-20, 10-34

                        Washington at 4-12 finish well behind Phoenix in the NFC East.

                        > The next 1988 PC Paydirt seasons are :-
                        >   San Francisco 49ers coached by Benedict
                        >   Cincinnatti Bengals coached by John

                        If anyone wants the latest version(1.19.8) of the PC Paydirt executable let me know.
                      • Lee Harris
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 20, 2002
                          is this pc executable all you need to play a game?
> [...]

                          > Washington (struggling)

                          > Wk  15 at Dallas, Washington(3-11) favored by 6.5
                          >
                          > rematch from week 6 when Washington almost managed a big Q4 comeback

                          With both teams seasons over we raced thru this slaughter in just 19 minutes.

                          (Wash-Dall): 10-0, 17-0, 24-0, 41-0

                          > Wk  16 at Cincinnatti, Bengals favored by 11 over Washington(4-11)

                          The Bengals dominated the game especially in Q2 when their defense grabbed the game's only turnovers (2 fumbles & an interception).
                          This game only lasted 16 minutes.

                          (Wash-Cin): 0-7, 3-20, 3-20, 10-34

                          Washington at 4-12 finish well behind Phoenix in the NFC East.

                          > The next 1988 PC Paydirt seasons are :-
                          >   San Francisco 49ers coached by Benedict
                          >   Cincinnatti Bengals coached by John

                          If anyone wants the latest version(1.19.8) of the PC Paydirt executable let me know.

                          ---
                        • beninlee@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 18, 2002

                             > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                             >   Cincinnati Bengals coached by John
                             >
                             > opposing teams played by Benedict
                             > games played on the evening of 12th October 2002

                             > Wk  1 vs Phoenix, Cincinnati favored by 11

                            The teams combined for 809 yards of offense, but only 50 points.
                            This was due to the red zone defenses which kept the field goal kickers busy.
                            Phoenix QB was in fine form going Long (15-173-2TD-1Int), but on Mediums he was 18-105-0TD-2Int.
                            Cincinnati threw 1 less Int & scored a TD on the ground for the win.

                             (Cin-Phoe):  3-7, 10-13, 20-16, 27-23

                             > Wk  2 at Philadelphia, Bengals(1-0) favored by 1 over Philly(0-1)

                            Both offenses started hot, scoring TDs on both their opening possessions.
                            The Bengals scored another TD & Philly failed to keep up.
                            In the second half the Bengals ground game racked up the TDs, as well as running out the clock.
                            The Bengals' Short pass was a stunning 13-199-2TD-0Int, their Line Plunge 16-96-3TD-0Fum.

                             (Cin-Phil): 14-7, 21-14, 28-14, 42-21

                             > Wk  3 at Pittsburgh, Bengals(2-0) favored by 7.5

                            In this game the Bengals' lethal combination was Off Tackle (17-144-2TD-0Fum) & Medium (16-147-3TD-0Int).
                            Pittsburgh's passsing offense was a woefull 21-31-0TD-0Int.
                            Enough said.

                             (Cin-Pitt): 7-0, 24-0, 38-10, 45-10

                             > Wk  4 vs Cleveland, Bengals(3-0) favored by 7.5

                            Cleveland came out passing & scored immediately on a 3 yard End Run.
                            Cincinnati replied in kind ending with a 10 yard Medium TD pass.
                            Cleveland began Q2 with a short pass & followed with an 81 yard Long TD.
                            Cincinnati couldn't reply & Cleveland scored again after a long drive with 6 yard Side-Line pass.
                            In the second half the ground games were pivotal.
                            Cincinnati scored with a 7 yard Line Plunge & a 4 yard End Run.
                            Cleveland fumbled twice & did so again as Q4 began.
                            But Cincinnati failed to score & punted, Cleveland also punted into the End Zone.
                            Cincinnati tried a Side-Line pass only to be Blitzed for a loss of 14 yards.
                            They then tried a Short pass against Standard only to be sacked again for a safety.
                            After the kick off the Browns began on their own 39 yard line.
                            Line Plunge against Pass Prevent Short should be a nice little earner.
                            But the Running Back went the whole way for the TD.
                            Cincinnati tried to get back into the game but Cleveland Blitzed mercilessly to hold on.

                             (Cin-Clev): 7-7, 7-21, 21-21, 21-30

                             > Wk  5 at the Raiders, Bengals(3-1) favored by 6

                            This seemed to be a repeat of the Pittsburgh game as the Raiders were held scoreless for much of the first half.
                            But then the Raiders blocked a punt & picked it up to score.
                            The half was to end on a bizarre play.
                            With just 10 seconds left & on halfway the Bengals tried to avoid the Pass Prevent Long with a Side-Line pass.
                            It would have been only a short gain & the half would have ended.
                            But then he fumbles & the Raiders pick it up & set off for the TD perhaps.
                            But no, 13 yards downfield he fumbles.
                            But now the Bengals pick it up.
                            But before he can set off for the TD he gets pushed out of bounds.
                            The computer was certainly rolling 37s in this game.
                            In Q3 the Bengals continued to cruise to the win with an 89 yard Side-Line TD pass.
                            A second field goal in Q4 & the Bengals could afford to rest their QB.
                            But they'd relaxed too soon.
                            The Raiders ground game continued its steady progress, but now the QB was actually completing passes.
                            The Raiders scored first with a 5 yard Medium pass against Short Yardage.
                            The Bengals went 3 & out.
                            Amazingly, the Raiders QB threw Long for a 51 yard gain.
                            A few runs later & the Raiders scored with a Draw against Spread.
                            Again the Bengals went 3 & out.
                            The Raiders needed only 1 more TD for a comeback sensation.
                            But now the Raiders didn't have enough time for their slow ground game.
                            The Raiders went 3 & out & the Bengals were able to run out the clock.

                             (Cin-Raid): 7-0, 17-7, 24-7, 27-21

                             > Wk  6 vs Jets, Bengals(4-1) favored by 10

                            Another brilliant performance from the Bengals defense as they shutout the Jets.
                            Only the Jets Short Yardage defense keeps the score reasonable & the Bengals field goal kicker busy.
                            In this game the Bengals' lethal combination was Off Tackle (18-123-2TD-0Fum) & Short (17-106-0TD-0Int).

                             (Cin-NYJ): 7-0, 13-0, 26-0, 29-0

                             > Wk  7 at New England, Bengals(5-1) favored by 1 over New England(3-3)

                            This game was dominated by the running backs.
                            The teams combined for a total of 95 yards in the air & 446 on the ground.
                            The game was summed up when New England missed their first extra point try.

                             (Cin-NE): 3-6, 10-0, 20-6, 27-13

                             The Bengals are now 6-1, but they have 2 tough divisional matchups next.

                          • beninlee@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 10, 2003

                               > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                               >   Cincinnati Bengals coached by John
                               >
                               > opposing teams played by Benedict
                               > games played on the evening of 8th March 2002

                               > Wk  8 vs Houston, Bengals(6-1) favored by 7.5

                              The Bengals tried very hard to lose this game with 2 Interceptions & 3 of 5 fumbles lost.
                              But their QB rallied with 2 TD passes in Q4 for a 24-22 win.
                              The Bengals QB went 28-41-328-3TD-2Int.

                               > Wk  9 at Cleveland, Bengals(7-1) neither team favored

                              Despite being intercepted the Bengals led 7-0 at the end of Q1 thanks to a Short pass.
                              The browns took advantage of a fumble to get a 29 yard Field Goal.
                              The Bengals punted on their next possession deep into Browns territory.
                              The Browns advanced slowly down the field with Screen & Short passes & a few runs.
                              On the 15th play of the drive the Browns scored with a Draw play.
                              Once again the Bengals punted but little time remained on the clock.
                              The Browns Screened a Blitz for 18 yards to get to the 24 with 20 seconds left.
                              They went for the Long pass & scored to lead 17-7 at the half.
                              The Bengals punted again, but the Browns went Long for a 55 yard TD.
                              By the end of Q3 the Bengals were back within 7 thanks to a 27 yard Field Goal & a Short TD pass.
                              The Browns would have like to run out the clock but their woeful running game forced them to to the air.
                              Fortunately the QB was in great form & the Browns eased out to a 38-24 win.
                              The Browns QB went 30-34-341-3TD-0Int, QB rating 137.9.

                               > Wk  10 vs Pittsburgh, Bengals(7-2) favored by 15

                              The Bengals started with a 44 yard Long TD pass.
                              Pittsburgh also replied with a Long TD pass.
                              But that was the end of Pittsburgh's TD scoring & the Bengals' ground game took over.
                              Only repeated incompletions from the Bengals kept the margin of their victory to just 11 points.

                               The Bengals are now 8-2, with their only tough game remaining being the Houston rematch.
                            • Boltshooter@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 10, 2003

                                  Benedict,
                                                    Good write up as usual, check date of the Cleveland V Cincinnatti game though.
                                                                           John
                              • beninlee@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 24, 2003

                                   > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                                   >   Cincinnati Bengals coached by John
                                   >
                                   > opposing teams played by Benedict
                                   > games played on the evening of 16th March 2003

                                   > Wk  11 at Kansas, Bengals(8-2) favored by 8

                                  The Bengals tried very hard to lose this game with an Interception & 3 of 4 fumbles lost.
                                  Whilst they did manage an 18 yard Field Goal the Bengals also missed from 38.
                                  But their balanced offense kept them ahead throughout for a 24-13 win.
                                  The Bengals QB was 21-30-215-1TD-1Int.
                                  The Bengals RBs were 38-284.

                                   > Wk  12 at Dallas, Bengals(9-2) favored by 12

                                  The game started well for the Bengals until a Punt was blocked 12 yards back.
                                  Dallas returned the ball 29 yards.
                                  Dallas also struggled with penalties & a sack bringing up 3rd & very long.
                                  Dallas decide to go for it Long & the Bengals anticipated correctly with Pass Prevent Long.
                                  But the pass was complete for a 41 yard gain.
                                  Dallas soon ran Off Tackle for a TD & the only score in Q1.
                                  In Q2 the teams traded long drives ending in fumbles.
                                  Then the Bengals Screened a Blitz which went a long way for a TD.
                                  But the play was called back on an illegal motion penalty.
                                  The only score in Q2 was a Dallas 27 yard Field Goal.
                                  In Q3 Dallas started well with a drive ending in a 6 yard Short TD pass & a 17-0 lead.
                                  The Bengals continued to struggle against the Dallas Blitz.
                                  Then on 3rd & 1 the Bengals risked it all on a Long pass.
                                  It was complete for 45 yards & they soon followed up with a Medium pass for the TD.
                                  Dallas had to punt & the Bengals moved easily into the red zone.
                                  The Bengals eventually scored on a Line Plunge & they were back within 3 as Q3 ended.
                                  The Dallas offense struggled throughout Q4 but their defense also held the Bengals in check.
                                  The Bengals also missed a crucial 39 yard Field Goal.
                                  The combination of Dallas' Standard & Blitz defenses enabled Dallas to hold on for the upset win 17-14.

                                   > Wk  13 vs Buffalo(11-1), Bengals(9-3) favored by 5

                                  Down 24-10 at the end of Q3, the Bengals scored 21 unanswered points in Q4 for the important comeback win with playoff implications.
                                  On the ground the Bengals were 30-224.

                                   > Wk  14 vs San Diego, Bengals(10-3) favored by 12

                                  The secret to this game was the Bengals spread defense which they used on 33 of 71 plays, conceding just 88 yards.
                                  Not only did it stop the Chargers Side-Line pass which was 14-146 on the day.
                                  But also it came up with 2 Interceptions against the Medium pass & another 2 against the Long pass.
                                  On offense the Bengals recovered both their fumbles to ease to a 35-20 win.
                                  For a pleasant change there were only 3 accepted penalties in the whole game.

                                   > Wk  15 at Houston,  Houston favored by 1 over Bengals(11-3)

                                  The first turning point came in Q2 with the Bengals leading 3-0 thanks to a 28 yard Field Goal.
                                  On their second Field Goal attempt Houston blocked the kick 10 yards back.
                                  Houston racked up 17 unanswered points thanks largely to their Medium pass.
                                  In Q3 the Bengals eschewed their normal balanced offense for all-out pass & brought the scores level.
                                  In Q4 the teams began by trading TDs before the second turning point.
                                  On a Short pass the Bengals QB was sacked for the 4th time, but this time for a safety.
                                  Good field position enabled Houston to throw some more Medium passes & seal the game 33-24.
                                  The Houston Medium pass was 22-219.

                                  > Wk  16 vs Redskins(4-11), Bengals(11-4) favored by 11

                                  Finally, the Bengals are able to play error-free football & cruise to a 34-10 win.

                                   The Bengals finish 12-4, behind Buffalo on 14-2.

                                • beninlee@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 11, 2003

                                     > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                                     >   Houton Oilers coached by Benedict
                                     >
                                     > opposing teams played by John
                                     > games played on the evening of 7th June 2003

                                     > Wk  1 at Indy , Indy favored by 1.5

                                    Houston scores 3 TDs in Q2 but Indy roars back to win 38-21.

                                     > Wk  2 vs Raiders, Houston(0-1) favored by 7

                                    Houston takes total control of the ball in the first half.
                                    But quick-scoring Raiders keep the gap to just 14 points.
                                    A Houston punt in Q3 is blocked allowing the Raiders to close the gap to 7 points.
                                    And that's how it stays until the end of Q4.
                                    On the last play of the game the Raiders have a 4th & Goal at the 2.
                                    But their Off Tackle is stuffed by Short Yardage & Houston holds for the win 35-28.

                                     > Wk  3 at Jets, Jets favored by 1 over Houston (1-1)

                                    The Jets manage to keep with 10 points thru Q3.
                                    But in Q4 Houston starts to showboat throwing Long for an 87 yard TD, easing out to a 45-14 win.

                                     > Wk  4 vs New England(2-1), Houston(2-1) favored by 6

                                    In a dreary defensive battle Houston throws a Q4 TD Screen pass to win 14-7.

                                     > Wk  5 at Philly(2-2), Philly favored by 2 over Houston (3-1)

                                    Houston's Field Goal kicker is 5 for 5 as a methodical Houston win 29-14.

                                     > Wk  6 vs Chiefs, Houston(4-1) favored by 12.5

                                    Kansas' defense keeps them in the game but their offense is non-existant as Houston win 20-10.

                                     > Wk  7 at Pitt's Town, Houston(5-1) favored by 4.5

                                    After Q1 the game is scoreless.
                                    But then the floodgates open & Houston massacres them 45-0.

                                     > Wk  8 at the Bengals, Bengals(6-1) favored by 7.5 over Houston(6-1)

                                    Houston led 15-10 at the end of Q3.
                                    But then the Bengals opened up their passing game to edge it 24-22.

                                     > Wk  9 vs Washington, Houston(6-2) favored by 7.5

                                    Houston has no trouble in cruising to a 41-17 win.

                                     Houston are 7-2.

                                  • beninlee@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 11, 2003

                                       > Coverage of 1988 PC Paydirt season of the :-
                                       >   Cleveland Browns coached by John
                                       >
                                       > opposing teams played by Benedict
                                       > games played on the evening of 5th July 2003

                                       > Wk  1 at Kansas , Browns favored by 5

                                      Cleveland started well & never really looked back, cruising to a 37-7 win.
                                      Their hilite was the Draw play which was 13-115.
                                      The defense also got 2 interceptions & 4 sacks.

                                       > Wk  2 vs Jets(0-1), Browns(1-0) favored by 5.5

                                      Once more Cleveland was cruising to a win at 17-3 at the end of Q3.
                                      But then, for the second time, a Sideline pass was interecepted.
                                      The Jets converted it into 7 points to trail by just 3.
                                      The teams traded punts until Cleveland fumbled a Screen pass.
                                      The Jets threw lots of passes out of bounds & managed to win the game 21-17 with just 10 seconds left.

                                       > Wk  3 vs Indy(1-1), Browns(1-1) favored by 4.5

                                      Cleveland manages to hold off Indy thx to a stellar QB performance (30-35-360-2TD-0Int).

                                       > Wk  4 at Cincy, Bengals(3-0) favored by 7.5 over Cleveland(2-1)

                                      The Cleveland defense put in another good performance.
                                      The Bengals QB suffered 5 sacks & scrambled twice.
                                      The game-breaker came in Q4 when one of the sacks was a safety.
                                      On the first play after the kick off Cleveland ran a Line Plunge all the way from 61 yards out to win 30-21.

                                       > Wk  5 at Pitt's Town, Browns(3-1) favored by 4.5

                                      Pittsburgh took a surprise lead after a 60-yard Long pass.
                                      But that was it & Cleveland ran out easy winners 27-7.
                                      The QB had another excellent game (31-41-318-2-0)

                                       > Wk  6 vs Seattle, Browns(4-1) favored by 4

                                      Seattle's Standard defense started great, intercepting the first 2 Cleveland passes.
                                      But they couldn't turn them into points & Cleveland led 3-0 at the end of Q1 on a 27 yard Field Goal.
                                      The turning point in Q2 was when Seattle blocked a punt & by the end Seattle led 17-9.
                                      Seattle continued to pressure the Cleveland QB, registering their 5th sack.
                                      Seattle still led by 8 at the end of Q3.
                                      But now the Cleveland defense turned up the heat with a sack which forced a punt.
                                      The Cleveland QB was again in great form converting a 4th down into 7 points closing the gap to 2.
                                      Another Seattle punt & Cleveland quickly took a 5 point lead.
                                      Seattle eeked out a long drive but could only manage their second 41-yard Field Goal to close the gap to 2.
                                      Cleveland struggled & had to punt.
                                      Seattle tried hard but their longest was an 18 yard scramble & they had to punt.
                                      Cleveland managed to run the clock out to hold onto a 30-27 win.
                                      The Cleveland QB was again excellent (29-39-340-3-2).

                                       > Wk  7 vs Philly(2-4) , Browns(5-1) favored by 2

                                      Philly failed to keep up with the fast-scoring Browns who run out 59-20 winners.
                                      The Cleveland QB was amazing (19-24-368-6-0).

                                       > Wk  8 at Phoenix(6-1), Browns(6-1) favored by 2.5

                                      Both teams heretofore stellar passing games were kept in check.
                                      This time it was the Cleveland running game (45-243) which gave them the 31-16 win.

                                       > Wk  9 vs Cincy(7-1), Browns(7-1) but neither team favored

                                      Once more the Cleveland QB (30-34-341-3-0) pulls off the 38-24 win.

                                       Cleveland are 8-1, Cincy & Houston are 7-2.